Difficult Choice, Advise needed Between two totally different opinions

Hi all, 

I have had two consultations with two top doctors, One suggested that i needed a total of around 1.1k grafts with the option if they see fit on the day to increase, the other suggested 2k grafts, with an increase to a potential to 2.5 K, the first doctor is Cuoto, who I have waited for over a year to have a consult and a date booked for surgery in the next month, having paid a deposit, the second is Rahal, who i am also a big fan of! Both in regards to hairline are awesome, but i would say Cuoto is world renowned and that people would die for an appointment with him, which luckily i have gotten.  

I am just wondering, what you guys would be thinking in this situation, i am hoping to have a little discussion, in the aim of trying to get a better idea, simply because the two opinions are so different 

i am a norwood three for back ground info and have posted images before, i dont mind posting more pics, with an update now that ive been on fin for 5 months 

best 

DIFF  

I would go with Dr Couto,

I think its best to go with the lower graft number. If you need more they can be added in 12 months time.

Couto is a master at using as little amount of grafts of possible probably through placement,angles & picking certain thicker grafts/hairs

• Like 1

this is what my instinct is saying, i see his results and just think wow, and to get a date so soon after the consultation, I just believe its a go with it kinda situation, what do you think the difference of the 1 k grafts would be based on in your opinion? 

4 minutes ago, Diff-thinner said:

this is what my instinct is saying, i see his results and just think wow, and to get a date so soon after the consultation, I just believe its a go with it kinda situation, what do you think the difference of the 1 k grafts would be based on in your opinion? 

Not much much. Dod you see Rahal in person? I assume you saw Couto in person?

Hairloss can look worse on certain phones with lighting.

Saw Couto in person yes, Rahal was online, 

its true, i have had some regrowth in the hair loss areas, ill post a photo for you to see and give an opinion. 

they are only baby hairs on the sides, but they were going almost completely before the treatment 

IMG_1684 Small.jpeg

IMG_1682 Small.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Diff-thinner said:

Saw Couto in person yes, Rahal was online, 

its true, i have had some regrowth in the hair loss areas, ill post a photo for you to see and give an opinion. 

they are only baby hairs on the sides, but they were going almost completely before the treatment 

IMG_1684 Small.jpeg

IMG_1682 Small.jpeg

Do you have a diffuse noorwood 4-5 pattern?

I think I am diffuse, There wasnt much clarity on that, but i was told I am norwood 3, anterior pattern, But i do think my hair generally has gotten thinner as well as the recession you see 

5 minutes ago, Diff-thinner said:

I think I am diffuse, There wasnt much clarity on that, but i was told I am norwood 3, anterior pattern, But i do think my hair generally has gotten thinner as well as the recession you see 

Maybe you are little diffuse, but for sure you are not so big diffuse-thinner like me. So based on photos that you provided, Couto's advice to skip procedure on the top of the head is on the spot. 

When your hair are dry, your hair looks full and only receeding hairline is some kind of issue. 

Edited by GeneralNorwood

33 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

I think its best to go with the lower graft number. If you need more they can be added in 12 months time.

Couto is a master at using as little amount of grafts of possible probably through placement,angles & picking certain thicker grafts/hairs

4 minutes ago, GeneralNorwood said:

Maybe you are little diffuse, but for sure you are not so big diffuse-thinner like me. So based on photos that you provided, Couto's advice to skip procedure on the top of the head is on the spot. 

When your hair are dry, your hair looks full and only receeding hairline is some kind of issue. 

He recommended PRP with the treatment do you think in his idea it will sort out the diffuse as well as protect the new transplant, with the 1.1k grafts ? the hair loss progression is v slow, i am nearing 30's and was unmedicated with hairs coming back, so do you think thats what he may be thinking ?

Also he said because my donor hair is naturally v thick and dense with loads of multiples, dense packing may cause an issue between grafts for blood flow and nutrition, when he looked at my donor he said dont be happy its so thick because hairlines need thinner hairs

• Administrators

Look at the results and reviews, the one you like the most should be your choice.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

13 minutes ago, Diff-thinner said:

He recommended PRP with the treatment do you think in his idea it will sort out the diffuse as well as protect the new transplant, with the 1.1k grafts ?

You are only ~ 3 months on topical finasteride, so for sure it is the idea that it will improve diffuse area in coming months. 

I went to Dr. Rahal last year and I'm very happy with my experience and results. I felt perfectly comfortable at the clinic in Toronto. They've taken excellent care of me and their post-op care and responsiveness is outstanding, so I never felt alone or concerned during recovery.

1,100 grafts seems a bit low to me, but you can always decide on more that day, or even down the road if necessary. Achieving similar results with fewer grafts is ideal, certainly, but I was more concerned with needing a second procedure later and wanted to avoid that if at all possible. There's no way to guarantee this, but I personally felt better going with a higher graft count.

I can't speak for Dr. Couto, but he seems very popular on these forums and his work generally looks good to me. I'm sure you'd be fine going with either surgeon, but to reach a decision, it may be time to weigh other factors such as cost, convenience (travel, etc.), and your comfort level with each surgeon after speaking with them.

I'm not sharing the details of my journey publicly, but if you have any specific questions or want to see my progress photos, message me in private and I'll be glad to share. :)

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000 grafts, Summer 2023

21 minutes ago, gaz9318054 said:

I went to Dr. Rahal last year and I'm very happy with my experience and results. I felt perfectly comfortable at the clinic in Toronto. They've taken excellent care of me and their post-op care and responsiveness is outstanding, so I never felt alone or concerned during recovery.

1,100 grafts seems a bit low to me, but you can always decide on more that day, or even down the road if necessary. Achieving similar results with fewer grafts is ideal, certainly, but I was more concerned with needing a second procedure later and wanted to avoid that if at all possible. There's no way to guarantee this, but I personally felt better going with a higher graft count.

I can't speak for Dr. Couto, but he seems very popular on these forums and his work generally looks good to me. I'm sure you'd be fine going with either surgeon, but to reach a decision, it may be time to weigh other factors such as cost, convenience (travel, etc.), and your comfort level with each surgeon after speaking with them.

I'm not sharing the details of my journey publicly, but if you have any specific questions or want to see my progress photos, message me in private and I'll be glad to share. :)

Pm'D

14 hours ago, Stoner said:

Both are excellent but Couto is the God.

And he has amazing results with insanely few grafts.

Isn't that Zareb is another league above Couto? what's your opinion?

On 2/7/2024 at 5:26 PM, hairman22 said:

How is he compared to Zareb in using little grafts for maximum results?

On 2/7/2024 at 5:21 PM, Diff-thinner said:

Hi all, 

I have had two consultations with two top doctors, One suggested that i needed a total of around 1.1k grafts with the option if they see fit on the day to increase, the other suggested 2k grafts, with an increase to a potential to 2.5 K, the first doctor is Cuoto, who I have waited for over a year to have a consult and a date booked for surgery in the next month, having paid a deposit, the second is Rahal, who i am also a big fan of! Both in regards to hairline are awesome, but i would say Cuoto is world renowned and that people would die for an appointment with him, which luckily i have gotten.  

I am just wondering, what you guys would be thinking in this situation, i am hoping to have a little discussion, in the aim of trying to get a better idea, simply because the two opinions are so different 

i am a norwood three for back ground info and have posted images before, i dont mind posting more pics, with an update now that ive been on fin for 5 months 

best 

DIFF  

Hi

From what I saw on the web, I would go with Couto.
Maybe you can share what the doctor is doing in each surgery, meaning are they involved in incisions and hair design only? 
Or doing some of the extractions \ placements?

This can also be a factor to choose a doctor over another

Edited by Fmulder

On 2/7/2024 at 5:21 PM, Diff-thinner said:

Hi all, 

best 

DIFF  

Can you please share the following details about Couto, I'm about to have a consultation with him:
1. Fee for consultation.
2. Price per graft
3. Deposit amount placed for schedule and what is the cancellation policy?

Thank you

10 minutes ago, Fmulder said:

Isn't that Zareb is another league above Couto? what's your opinion?

Zarev is God tier as well, i messaged him, and got told consultations are in 2026 I believe if i remember right, also imo I would only use Zarev for a mega session! 

Couto does hairlines, and he is pretty much the best at it, with from what ive seen IMO, Rahal and Munib Ahmed right next to him, To my knowledge Munib is the only one who does everything from start to finish, apart from organising the grafts, 

Since my HT is concerned with the hairline mainly, Couto is perfect, and as others have said graft utilisation is perfect, I was just wondering how 1,100 grafts would be used to fill my space, but im going to take the leap! 

consult with Couto is Free 

Graft price is 4 euro 

Deposit is 50%, I havent seen a cancellation policy, basically because I dont think anyone cancels  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Diff-thinner said:

Zarev is God tier as well, i messaged him, and got told consultations are in 2026 I believe if i remember right, also imo I would only use Zarev for a mega session! 

Couto does hairlines, and he is pretty much the best at it, with from what ive seen IMO, Rahal and Munib Ahmed right next to him, To my knowledge Munib is the only one who does everything from start to finish, apart from organising the grafts, 

Since my HT is concerned with the hairline mainly, Couto is perfect, and as others have said graft utilisation is perfect, I was just wondering how 1,100 grafts would be used to fill my space, but im going to take the leap! 

consult with Couto is Free 

Graft price is 4 euro 

Deposit is 50%, I havent seen a cancellation policy, basically because I dont think anyone cancels  

Very cool!!
Any idea if he good also for doing sessions of 3000 - 4000 grafts and not for hairline?
I thought I heard he was at 4.5 euro almost two years ago, so let me know if this after discount.

So if you paid deposit, I think you already choose Couto, good luck :)