What Gym Protein do you guys use?

I have seen some doctors (Shapiro and Pittella) have said whey protein isolate is bad for hair loss (Pittella also said creatine is bad FYI). That being said, what products do you guys use for post gym workouts and have you seen any changes when you started using the current protein you use? 100% whey non isolate or what? 

3 hours ago, Rose17 said:

I have seen some doctors (Shapiro and Pittella) have said whey protein isolate is bad for hair loss (Pittella also said creatine is bad FYI). That being said, what products do you guys use for post gym workouts and have you seen any changes when you started using the current protein you use? 100% whey non isolate or what? 

Whey protein isolate is more purified mostly suitable for those who has lactose intolerance. Moreover, when someone is in cutting they use isolate protein. But I don’t think protein can cause any harm but creatine can. Where did he say that ?

Pittella consult form has a question that asks if you take whey protein or creatine. Pretty sure he’s made comments about them on here and also on IG. I know he’s very anti creative, not sure if he’s anti whey protein or just whey protein isolate. 

9 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

I’ve spoken to about half a dozen surgeons and the answers to being able to use creatine and/or whey powder vary from yes to no. 

Interesting! Gatsby, have you heard anything about them being against whey protein isolate?

11 hours ago, Rose17 said:

Pittella consult form has a question that asks if you take whey protein or creatine. Pretty sure he’s made comments about them on here and also on IG. I know he’s very anti creative, not sure if he’s anti whey protein or just whey protein isolate. 

In my consult with Dr. Pittella, he was emphatic that Creatine causes some degree of hairloss. I did mention that I take whey protein. He said that's fine. No effect on hairloss. I think in general, rigorous workouts can increase testosterone and that also can impact hairloss in some people. 

• Wow 1

20 minutes ago, zach07 said:

In my consult with Dr. Pittella, he was emphatic that Creatine causes some degree of hairloss. I did mention that I take whey protein. He said that's fine. No effect on hairloss. I think in general, rigorous workouts can increase testosterone and that also can impact hairloss in some people. 

After a stunning hair re-growth, I decided to take creatine. I lost a lot of hair. I stopped creatine and now the hair are back. Coincidence? Don't think so

3 hours ago, BaldV said:

Creatine and Protein do not affect hair loss in any way

creatine increased DHT and DHT increases hair loss  but all the YouTubers say that it doesn't affect hairloss.
Why: because there is not a single study that investigate the relation between creatine and hair loss.
It is like I say that radiation causes DNA and DNA modification cause cancer but there is not proof that radiant cause cancer..

the supplest industry is a multi bilione industry...

16 hours ago, Rose17 said:

I know that Shapiro say that whey is bad, but it is very debatable.

all proteins (especially whey) increase IGF1. IGF 1 activates anlagen via a complex mechanism involving satellite cells activation.
Whey have an added bonus: cistine, an amino acid involved in hair growth.

Shapiro is a great surgeon. I doubt that biochemistry is his field of research.

33 minutes ago, zach07 said:

Did he say whey protein isolate or any type of protein is fine or strictly whey protein is fine?

6 minutes ago, duchaine said:

I know that Shapiro say that whey is bad, but it is very debatable.

all proteins (especially whey) increase IGF1. IGF 1 activates anlagen via a complex mechanism involving satellite cells activation.
Whey have an added bonus: cistine, an amino acid involved in hair growth.

Shapiro is a great surgeon. I doubt that biochemistry is his field of research.

Similar to your experience with creatine, some people take whey protein isolate and their hair starts to fall out, then they stop and it comes back. 

3 minutes ago, Rose17 said:

Similar to your experience with creatine, some people take whey protein isolate and their hair starts to fall out, then they stop and it comes back. 

Creatine is a different topic.

whey is not a magic powered.

is a protein: it is broken down during digestion into amino acids and the goes into the blood stream.

so, if it is true that whey increases hair loss (and I doubt) it would be interesting to understand what of the amino acids is responsible for that.

17 minutes ago, duchaine said:

creatine increased DHT and DHT increases hair loss  but all the YouTubers say that it doesn't affect hairloss.
Why: because there is not a single study that investigate the relation between creatine and hair loss.
It is like I say that radiation causes DNA and DNA modification cause cancer but there is not proof that radiant cause cancer..

the supplest industry is a multi bilione industry...

Creatine doesnt increase DHT

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7871530/

25 minutes ago, Rose17 said:

Did he say whey protein isolate or any type of protein is fine or strictly whey protein is fine?

He only mentioned whey because that's what i asked about but, I can't imagine whey and whey isolate being that different for hair loss. It's just a matter of less lactose. His pont was about creatine and steroids. 

4 hours ago, BaldV said:

Creatine doesnt increase DHT

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7871530/

The only research on this topic say it increases dht.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19741313/#:~:text=The ratio of DHT%3AT,conversion of T to DHT.

The paper you posted is a (very poor) meta-analysis. Learn the difference between an analysis and a meta-analysis before debating.

Edited by duchaine
  • Haha 1
  • Well Done 1

5 hours ago, Rose17 said:

I have been in supplements industry for a long time.

never heard something like that.

but I am sure that a couple of psycho with an odc about their hair say that whey made them lose hair.

i am sure someone will say that broccoli do and someone else will say that he lost hair because orange juice.

psychiatry is a very interesting field of research.

4 hours ago, zach07 said:

He only mentioned whey because that's what i asked about but, I can't imagine whey and whey isolate being that different for hair loss. It's just a matter of less lactose. His pont was about creatine and steroids. 

i think on my form I submitted to him I listed whey protein isolate and creatine daily so I’ll ask him on my zoom next week. 

4 minutes ago, Rose17 said:

i think on my form I submitted to him I listed whey protein isolate and creatine daily so I’ll ask him on my zoom next week. 

I saw a shapiro’s paper where he correlated whey to gh increase.

from what I understand, he supposes that gh increase cause hair loss.

there are several researches showing that gh increases hair GROWTH (probably via igf1 increase). There is only ONE single paper where gh in vitro caused telogen in FEMALE scalp.

but in vivo and in vitro can you totally different results.

• Administrators

There’s no need to insult anyone. Let’s treat each other with respect 🙏

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 2/6/2024 at 7:19 AM, Rose17 said:

Yes please ask him specifically about daily intake of whey protein isolate and report back for all of us gym junkies! 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 1:56 PM, BaldV said:

Creatine and Protein do not affect hair loss in any way

There was definitely a correlation between acceleration in hair loss and creatine in my specific case. I cycled on and off and few times and noticed it each time.

24 minutes ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

There was definitely a correlation between acceleration in hair loss and creatine in my specific case. I cycled on and off and few times and noticed it each time.

There are hundreds of factors that could have affected your hairloss, this is no way to make conclusions

Just now, BaldV said:

There are hundreds of factors that could have affected your hairloss, this is no way to make conclusions

Absolutely true. However, it's my belief. It's the belief of some hair surgeons. 

You definitely say it's not the case. How did you reach that conclusion?