Failed transplant

The transplant was 10.5 months ago with Dr. Haber and it was 1,300 grafts. There wasn't a lot of area below where my original hairline was that he added grafts, but I would say maybe 10% of those grafts have grown in. In the last pic, below the green line is what was added and you can see it's just sporadic hair here and there. And that pic is a close up of the front, on the left side, almost none of the hair grew in below my original hairline. Behind the hairline that I already had I can tell that there is some density added, but it's harder to guess what percent of those grafts grew in because I already had most of my original hair there. Overall, I would say there is a negligible to slightly noticeable difference, but definitely not worth ~$10k and the recovery. It sux because I think I was in a lot better starting position than a lot of other guys beforehand and many of them seem to have pretty big changes, even from one transplant, but mine made things just slightly better. At least not a lot of grafts were wasted. It was estimated they were going to do closer to do 2k but only did the 1.3k, so they definitely weren't trying to rip me off, but the results are just not great. 

20221209_171803 (1).jpg

20240125_233756.jpg

20221209_172159.jpg

20240126_221811.jpg

20240125_201631.jpg

• Sad 1

Would you mind sharing some photos from just before/after the procedure, and maybe some progress pictures around 3 months, 6 months, etc.?

• Thanks 1

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000 grafts, Summer 2023

1 hour ago, Vaz430 said:

The transplant was 10.5 months ago with Dr. Haber and it was 1,300 grafts. There wasn't a lot of area below where my original hairline was that he added grafts, but I would say maybe 10% of those grafts have grown in. In the last pic, below the green line is what was added and you can see it's just sporadic hair here and there. And that pic is a close up of the front, on the left side, almost none of the hair grew in below my original hairline. Behind the hairline that I already had I can tell that there is some density added, but it's harder to guess what percent of those grafts grew in because I already had most of my original hair there. Overall, I would say there is a negligible to slightly noticeable difference, but definitely not worth ~$10k and the recovery. It sux because I think I was in a lot better starting position than a lot of other guys beforehand and many of them seem to have pretty big changes, even from one transplant, but mine made things just slightly better. At least not a lot of grafts were wasted. It was estimated they were going to do closer to do 2k but only did the 1.3k, so they definitely weren't trying to rip me off, but the results are just not great. 

20221209_171803 (1).jpg

20240125_233756.jpg

20221209_172159.jpg

20240126_221811.jpg

20240125_201631.jpg

Yes, poor density. Seems like just didn’t grow. If you want to go for a repair procedure, select a surgeon with some proper result. You just can’t afford another poor result. Best wishes 👍

6 hours ago, gaz9318054 said:

Would you mind sharing some photos from just before/after the procedure, and maybe some progress pictures around 3 months, 6 months, etc.?

Here are some. To be clear I was already worried about density from the start. He said he couldn't place them closer cause it would be hard for them to grow if he put them too close. But I think from the start it wasn't as dense as many others have from the start. Also I think the right side had higher density than the left from the start.

20230316_163254.jpg

20230316_163047.jpg

20230316_163432.jpg

20230316_163228.jpg

20230323_231101.jpg

20230325_231600.jpg

20230325_231527.jpg

20231017_205340.jpg

20231017_205352.jpg

Edited by Vaz430

25 minutes ago, duchaine said:

before and after pic look exactly the same.
Did you really have an HT? Or you are testing how knowledge?

Sadly, I am not joking lol

Have you talked to the doctor about this because it looks as you have gotten zero growth? Did he gave any answers because he is recommended also in this forum?

I think you should push hard to get your money back, this result is not acceptable.

29 minutes ago, jjalay said:

Have you talked to the doctor about this because it looks as you have gotten zero growth? Did he gave any answers because he is recommended also in this forum?

I think you should push hard to get your money back, this result is not acceptable.

Me posting this is the first thing I've  done. Everyone would probably just say wait 12 months if I posted earlier. I've read many posts of people worried about growth on here and on reddit and everyone says that. But now I.I near 12 months, so definitely mostly know what I got out of it. Have you heard of doctors who give refunds?

1 hour ago, Vaz430 said:

Me posting this is the first thing I've  done. Everyone would probably just say wait 12 months if I posted earlier. I've read many posts of people worried about growth on here and on reddit and everyone says that. But now I.I near 12 months, so definitely mostly know what I got out of it. Have you heard of doctors who give refunds?

If this is the final result yes there are many doctors that will give you a refund. If the doctor is ethical enough he should do that if you dont want to proceed with another surgery. You should definitely get in contact with the doctor and ask him for a possible resolution.

@Vaz430 Have you not been in contact with your physician at all after the procedure? It looks like you've answered my question in your previous comments. 

Talk to Dr. Haber immediately and tell him your concerns. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

7 hours ago, Vaz430 said:

Here are some. To be clear I was already worried about density from the start. He said he couldn't place them closer cause it would be hard for them to grow if he put them too close. But I think from the start it wasn't as dense as many others have from the start. Also I think the right side had higher density than the left from the start.

20230316_163254.jpg

20230316_163047.jpg

20230316_163432.jpg

20230316_163228.jpg

20230323_231101.jpg

20230325_231600.jpg

20230325_231527.jpg

20231017_205340.jpg

20231017_205352.jpg

Did the doctor elaborate on why implanting the grafts closer together would prevent growth? Does he perform a lot of surgeries where the recipient area isn’t shaved? 
While Dr. Haber may be on this website’s recommended list, I personally would only opt for doctors who focus solely on patients with hair loss, as it looks like he also sees patients for general dermatologic complaints. 

Edited by Amiele

• Valued Contributor

It’s hard to say exactly, but it sort of looks like what was implanted did in fact grow (not all of it, but certainly some), but you had so few hairs implanted to begin with that it’s hard to see what the actual plan was here. 

@Vaz430 I'm going to be straight with you, I find it odd that you think there is a 12 month "wait period" before you can complain to your doctor about poor results yet you already are publicly denouncing the doctor on these forums. Dr. Haber is vouched by HRN (although that is not an end all thing). 

For me, 18 months after procedure is really more or less the timeframe before you can make a final conclusion on a HT

Furthermore, your photos are at strange angles and it is hard to follow what is going on. It would be good to have the 5 standard angles: front, front angled down, both sides and top of head. 

Hope everything goes well, contact the doctor's office as soon as you can. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

• Administrators

Send me your name and date of surgery. I will reach out to Dr. Haber on your behalf. He’s an ethical surgeon. Looking at the graft placement. It doesn’t look like a large number of grafts.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Send me your name and date of surgery. I will reach out to Dr. Haber on your behalf. He’s an ethical surgeon. Looking at the graft placement. It doesn’t look like a large number of grafts.

Thanks for the offer. I can reach out and update back what they say.

• Thanks 1

It's interesting some people are saying speak to your doc about it when clearly there wasn't a sufficient amount of grafts that were placed to even make a difference in your case. Best to consult with a different reputable surgeon that will help you reach your goals. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FUT4000 said:

It's interesting some people are saying speak to your doc about it when clearly there wasn't a sufficient amount of grafts that were placed to even make a difference in your case. Best to consult with a different reputable surgeon that will help you reach your goals. 

This is what I'm thinking. I think best case scenario I get money back. If he offers to touch it up, I'm worried about going back to him. And even then I will have to go thru the recovery twice when it should have only been once.

Edited by Vaz430

37 minutes ago, Vaz430 said:

This is what I'm thinking. I think best case scenario I get money back. If he offers to touch it up, I'm worried about going back to him. And even then I will have to go thru the recovery twice when it should have only been once.

After seeing the immediate post op and final result I would reconsider a touch up from this surgeon. Getting a refund is between you and the doc but I recommend finding a new surgeon for your next surgery. 

• Like 2

On 1/28/2024 at 9:50 PM, Amiele said:

Did the doctor elaborate on why implanting the grafts closer together would prevent growth? Does he perform a lot of surgeries where the recipient area isn’t shaved? 
While Dr. Haber may be on this website’s recommended list, I personally would only opt for doctors who focus solely on patients with hair loss, as it looks like he also sees patients for general dermatologic complaints. 

I don't recall him elaborating, just that he couldn't place them closer. He does do a lot where they don't shave their head, particularly with females. Even though he doesn't only focus on transplants, he said he does about 150 transplants per yr and has been doing them for decades, so that's why I wasn't concerned about experience or being rusty. 

Any luck or update on this so far? Was considering him for some hairline work in the near future since he is reputable on this forum but it seems like there aren’t many recent results?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2024 at 2:00 PM, Apk0214 said:

Any luck or update on this so far? Was considering him for some hairline work in the near future since he is reputable on this forum but it seems like there aren’t many recent results?

He said I need to make an appointment so he can look at it. He said that in some cases they may do some grafts for free. I don't live in that town so I will have to find time to take a vaca day and drive up there. I agree there aren't a lot of recent results. My experience is that I wouldn't recommend him, which doesn't mean there aren't other people who had a good result from him, but that's mine. I think if you look at the graft spacing to begin with they weren't very tight compared to others. And then on top of that they didn't all come in. I literally have spots where I have 2 hair grafts out in front almost by itself(pic 2), and you can see how thin all of the hair in front is in comparison to my original hairline.  Even if he were to offer more grafts, I'd have to trust that this time it works out better, and even then I'd have to go thru 2 recoveries for results that could have been acheived in 1. 

20230319_145538.jpg

20240205_192845.jpg