Podcast with Dr. Bruno Pinto Tomorrow

1 hour ago, Melvin- Admin said:

I didn’t ask him specifically about any other surgeon.  From what I gather he doesn’t believe in these gigasessions, he has more of an old school perspective. I can’t say agree, but I respect his opinion. 

Im considering releasing the full 2 hours. If there’s a demand for it. 2 hours is a long time to listen about hair transplants, but if people want it, I’ll do it.

I recently met with well-known FUT/FUE surgeon and he doesn't belive in these gigasessions either. He said that there is a risk that this patients in 10-20 years will have thining in the donor. If you take 50-60 % hair out of donor and remaining donor thins, it will look unpleasent so to speak. 

I am also interested in 2 hours interview. This 30 minutes went by in notime, Dr Pinto is a good talker. 

The good thing about youtube is that it remembers when you paused the video even when you close the browser. So you can watch for example 1 hour and then come back to the rest of the video later. 

Edited by GeneralNorwood
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, GeneralNorwood said:

I recently met with well-known FUT/FUE surgeon and he doesn't belive in these gigasessions either. He said that there is a risk that this patients in 10-20 years will have thining in the donor. If you take 50-60 % hair out of donor and remaining donor thins, it will look unpleasent so to speak. 

I am also interested in 2 hours interview. This 30 minutes went by in notime, Dr Pinto is a good talker. 

The good thing about youtube is that it remembers when you paused the video even when you close the browser. So you can watch for example 1 hour and then come back to the rest of the video later. 

I agree with you, if you take 50-60% of the grafts out it might look ok in the 30s but after 10-15 years it might end up looking absurd. I think its important to focus on the graft survival, not the number of grafts extracted.

1 hour ago, GeneralNorwood said:

I think senile alopecia is what you are referring to? Yes, that is probably a 10% or so natural reduction in density. But I think if you get to that age, still it is better to have some more hair on top, I don't know what age it really starts to thin like that, probably a man's 70s if he makes it that far in life. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, GeneralNorwood said:

I don’t agree with this notion. Megasessions have been around since the early 2000s. The only difference is that the hair is taken from all over, instead of the strip zone. 

Yes, you will lose some hair in the donor with age, but that is the reality with strip too, and Hasson and Wong have cases from over 20+ years that still look good with meds. 

Take a look at Jason Statham. He’s a Norwood 6 with high sides. Donor hasn’t changed at all in 20 years.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

His pattern has stayed the same, without medication. This is his pattern. He may lose more hair on the borders. But like Zarev showed, there is a distinction between the border and the safe zone.

For example, take David Anderson, the old rep of H&W now he works for an English clinic. He had his repair 18 years ago. He had a megasession back then. He still looks good.

image.jpeg

This idea that all of the sudden you will lose all your hair in 20 years is exaggerated. You will lose some hair with age, that’s natural. But its not like you’re going to go bald all over again. Zarev has a case thats 10 years old and it looks just as good.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

20 minutes ago, Melvin- Admin said:

I don’t agree with this notion. Megasessions have been around since the early 2000s. The only difference is that the hair is taken from all over, instead of the strip zone. 

Yes, you will lose some hair in the donor with age, but that is the reality with strip too, and Hasson and Wong have cases from over 20+ years that still look good with meds. 

Take a look at Jason Statham. He’s a Norwood 6 with high sides. Donor hasn’t changed at all in 20 years.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

His pattern has stayed the same, without medication. This is his pattern. He may lose more hair on the borders. But like Zarev showed, there is a distinction between the border and the safe zone.

For example, take David Anderson, the old rep of H&W now he works for an English clinic. He had his repair 18 years ago. He had a megasession back then. He still looks good.

image.jpeg

This idea that all of the sudden you will lose all your hair in 20 years is exaggerated. You will lose some hair with age, that’s natural. But its not like you’re going to go bald all over again. Zarev has a case thats 10 years old and it looks just as good.

Yeah, megasessions is one thing, but we are talking here about super-mega-gigasessions 12000+ grafts that require 2 surgeries within 1 year. 

It's not the idea that you will suddenly lose all hair, but that this hair will be thinner. And 100 % of your donor when thinner, will look just fine, 80% same, 70% propably same. But when you have only 40% and it will be thinner, it can look diffuse

And this surgeon that i spoke with, he did FUE surgeries of 6000 grafts within 2 days. However he won't do 12000 grafts, because of arguments that i presented. 

About Statham. I believe he didn't have any surgery, so he has 100% of his donor.

@asterix0 I will ask this doctor if he meant senile alopecia

Edited by GeneralNorwood

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, GeneralNorwood said:

Yeah, megasessions is one thing, but we are talking here about super-mega-gigasessions 12000+ grafts that require 2 surgeries within 1 year. 

It's not the idea that you will suddenly lose all hair, but that this hair will be thinner. And 100 % of your donor when thinner, will look just fine, 80% same, 70% propably same. But when you have only 40% and it will be thinner, it can look diffuse

And this surgeon that i spoke with, he did FUE surgeries of 6000 grafts within 2 days. However he won't do 12000 grafts, because of arguments that i presented. 

About Statham. I believe he didn't have any surgery, so he has 100% of his donor.

You’re not losing only your donor, you’re thinning overall. That is actually natural. 

Everyone loses hair eventually, that’s inevitable. This argument doesn’t make sense to me, it’s like saying. Don’t take medication because you’ll die eventually. 

The goal of medication isn’t to live forever, it’s to prolong life. The goal of a hair transplant isn’t to have hair forever. It’s to prolong your time on earth with hair. If you can live 20,30,40 years in your prime years with a decent head of hair. I think that is more than worth it. 

Everyone loses hair eventually. Nothing is forever.

Clint Eastwood when he was young. Full hair top and sides.

Clint in his late 30s

image.jpeg

Clint eastwood 90 years old

image.jpeg

We will all eventually have an overall thin diffuse appearance. By that time, I think we will all, if we’re still alive have other more pressing issues to worry about. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators

I want to add, life is constantly changing and improving. 30 years ago if you would’ve shown a surgeon a @Gatsby they would’ve said it was physically impossible. 

Who knows what advancements will occur in the form of cell regeneration. It’s possible stem cells or some other form of cell therapy will slow the progression of cells dying. 

• Like 1

View my thread

2 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

You’re not losing only your donor, you’re thinning overall. That is actually natural. 

Everyone loses hair eventually, that’s inevitable. This argument doesn’t make sense to me, it’s like saying. Don’t take medication because you’ll die eventually. 

The goal of medication isn’t to live forever, it’s to prolong life. The goal of a hair transplant isn’t to have hair forever. It’s to prolong your time on earth with hair. If you can live 20,30,40 years in your prime years with a decent head of hair. I think that is more than worth it. 

Clint in his late 30s

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We will all eventually have an overall thin diffuse appearance. By that time, I think we will all, if we’re still alive have other more pressing issues to worry about. 

cant agree more

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GeneralNorwood said:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5243dccde4b08fd9e4fc92ef/t/59e4edc7aeb625b59357ee10/1508175305807/sa+Oct+16+2017.pdf

Conclusion

The concept of senescent alopecia is still open to some debate amongst experts. The studies by Karnik give credence to the unique position of these two conditions. But studies by Whiting suggested that it is not so simple as to say anyone with new thinning after age 60 has SA - many of these are also more in keeping with androgenetic alopecia. As one ages into the 70's, 80's and 90's - hair loss in the form of true senescent alopecia becomes more likely.

15 hours ago, fullheadofhair said:

I had my surgery with Dr. Pinto in mid-December 2023. Good bloke. Also keen on the 2 hour podcast!

Congrats on your trasplant! Happy growth. Do you plan to post your case at some point? I'm booked with Dr. Pinto for October this year, eager to see as many patient experiences as I can :) Cheers

15 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Clint in his late 30s

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Just to be clear that we are on the same page. When i wrote about losing 50-60 % donor i didn't write about natural losing 50-60 % of hair in the donor, but about extraction of this donor in HT procedure. 

So i meant, when you extract 60% of hair, you have now only 40% in the donor and if this 40% of hair left thins in the future, it can look bad. 

Edited by GeneralNorwood
  • Like 1