TRT after Hair restorations

I read contradicting narratives on the impact of TRT microdosing on Hair health.  

If you have experience with TRT *after* hair restoration, would love to hear your experience.

I am in my 40s, Norwood 6, expecting to do a hair restoration soon. I am intrigued by the positive impact on health via TRT so looking forward to the wisdom

It’s not really rocket science. Increasing testosterone will mean more testosterone byproducts, namely DHT, which destroys hair follicles which are sensitive to it. Taking DHT blockers will to a certain extent help to block this but it all depends on your individual sensitivity to DHT. Someone else’s experience isn’t going to be what happens to you and your experience isn’t going to be what happens to someone else.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

TRT is going to have a negative effect on your hair to some degree if you have the gene/genes for MPB. If you are a Norwood 6 then you want to stabilize what you have if you are thinking of surgery, both in terms of coverage and donor quality. You risk advancing your hair loss to a Norwood 7. 5ar inhibitors may help but you really need to discuss this with your doctor and hair transplant surgeon. All the best. 

• Like 1

TRT is going to accelerate your hair loss i think unless you get dutasteride which minimise DHT on the blood. What about creatine ? What do you guys think? Does creatine cause more hair loss? There are some studies saying so..

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I knew about trt and hair transplants...  

I was always told hair transplants are permanent.   There definitely are NOT.  

Especially if you are on trt..  I've lowered my trt dose in trying to find the best pathway to continue trt + hair loss meds to keep my native and transplanted hair. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Etownone said:

Wish I knew about trt and hair transplants...  

I was always told hair transplants are permanent.   There definitely are NOT.  

Especially if you are on trt..  I've lowered my trt dose in trying to find the best pathway to continue trt + hair loss meds to keep my native and transplanted hair. 

Thanks @Etownone.  Can you share when was your transplant and how long you have been on TRT. I am curious the impact on overall health and hairhealth as well

On 12/19/2023 at 1:17 AM, homebound said:

Thanks @Etownone.  Can you share when was your transplant and how long you have been on TRT. I am curious the impact on overall health and hairhealth as well

I have a long journey with hair transplants...  I've had 6.   First one in 2008.     And I've been on trt the whole time. 

If I could do it all over again... I would have never had a hair transplant.   The older we get, the more beneficial trt can be some certain men.  

I guess it all depends on each individual....  You have men like Jay Cutler that still have a full head of hair,   while there are other guys that go on a low dose of trt and it destroys their hair.

I'm three months post HT and good results so far. I stopped TRT after my ht but have experienced some of the effects of not being on TRT....some depression, low libido, lack of energy. I decided to start TRT again but to monitor very closely and be very conservative with the amount of TRT. My Dr asked if my hair loss accelerated with TRT before my ht and I don't believe it did. BUT....my hair loss was fairly substantial before I started TRT.

I was at 120mg TRT before my ht. I'm doing 60mg 2x per week now to avoid high peaks. I will pull all the tests for TRT after a month and make sure I'm within normal ranges i.e. less than 950. If I can't keep it in the normal range, I'll have to stop and find some alternative therapy to help with natural testosterone production. I'm also going to be very mindful of hair loss and watch closely. 

See the chart I received from Dr Nadar on Anabolic index rating factors. I've stopped energy drinks, creatine and Whey protein.

Bottom line, TRT will most likely impact hair loss.

IMG_4200.jpg

On 12/20/2023 at 4:39 PM, Etownone said:

I have a long journey with hair transplants...  I've had 6.   First one in 2008.     And I've been on trt the whole time. 

If I could do it all over again... I would have never had a hair transplant.   The older we get, the more beneficial trt can be some certain men.  

I guess it all depends on each individual....  You have men like Jay Cutler that still have a full head of hair,   while there are other guys that go on a low dose of trt and it destroys their hair.

Jay? Jay is thinning like any HRN user!

3 hours ago, Cospine said:

I'm three months post HT and good results so far. I stopped TRT after my ht but have experienced some of the effects of not being on TRT....some depression, low libido, lack of energy. I decided to start TRT again but to monitor very closely and be very conservative with the amount of TRT. My Dr asked if my hair loss accelerated with TRT before my ht and I don't believe it did. BUT....my hair loss was fairly substantial before I started TRT.

I was at 120mg TRT before my ht. I'm doing 60mg 2x per week now to avoid high peaks. I will pull all the tests for TRT after a month and make sure I'm within normal ranges i.e. less than 950. If I can't keep it in the normal range, I'll have to stop and find some alternative therapy to help with natural testosterone production. I'm also going to be very mindful of hair loss and watch closely. 

See the chart I received from Dr Nadar on Anabolic index rating factors. I've stopped energy drinks, creatine and Whey protein.

IMG_4200.jpg

This chart is an over semplification.
The second substance on the score list is DHEA but DHEA increases insulin sensivity as well amnd the most recedent stanford research showwed that GH (third on the list) and DHEA reverse biological clock and...suprise suprise, make wonder on hair!
IGF-1 role is still not clear in hair loss as well as the rose of insulin.

Edited by duchaine
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2023 at 2:59 PM, Cospine said:

IMG_4200.jpg

Good luck... 

You did a lot more research then I did. 

I hope you have better results then I have. 

I'm curious on your updates in the future.