Which docs do the entire procedure themselves?

Dr. Konior does 100% of the procedure himself?…really?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

Dr. Lorenzo does not do the procedure himself. Techs do all extractions. There’s no surgeon that does it all themselves. Technicians are always required to a degree. To sort grafts, to help place grafts. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

41 minutes ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Dr. Lorenzo does not do the procedure himself. Techs do all extractions. There’s no surgeon that does it all themselves. Technicians are always required to a degree. To sort grafts, to help place grafts. 

I'm talking about surgeons that do the extractions and implantations themselves. There may be techs behind them sorting the grafts, but looking for practices where the only person that touches your head is the MD.

Multiple people on the forums have explicitly stated Zarev and Ferreira do the extractions and placements without technician help. The others I mentioned I'm not as sure about, would love to hear from actual patients.

It probably results in higher consistency because techs can change so much.

32 minuti fa, Sunset Dune ha detto:

È impossibile per un chirurgo eseguire l'intero intervento da solo e non è nemmeno raccomandato. 

Pekiner fa tutta la procedura da solo, è chiaro che non fa megasessioni, ma divide i suoi interventi in 2 giorni e impianta un massimo di 3500/3600 ( maybe even less) unità follicolari.

Edited by ITA

17 hours ago, ITA said:

Pekiner fa tutta la procedura da solo, è chiaro che non fa megasessioni, ma divide i suoi interventi in 2 giorni e impianta un massimo di 3500/3600 ( maybe even less) unità follicolari.

"Pekiner does the entire procedure himself, it is clear that he does not do megasessions, but divides his interventions into 2 days and implants a maximum of 3500/3600 (maybe even less) follicular units."

On 11/13/2023 at 8:12 AM, consequence said:

No idea if he does currently. I believe at one point he did but would love to hear from one of his patients.

I had my FUE with Konior this August. As far as I could tell (in my valium-induced state), he was the only one that interacted with my scalp and did all the extractions, slits, and implantation. Like Melvin said the techs were probably in the back room sorting and preparing the grafts. Morning was extractions, afternoon slits and implantation. There were also 2-3 techs next to konior at all times as he was working on me - probably handing him grafts, etc. I could hear them all talking a lot.

• Like 1

I know it probably sounds compelling to think of a doctor doing the entire hair transplant procedure themselves. However, be careful with this kind of thinking. A doctor attempting to do an entire procedure himself would become exceptionally fatigued, and the results would be subpar.  The best results are produced by a dedicated and experienced surgical team, led by an outstanding and skilled hair transplant surgeon who performs the crucial part of the procedure, himself.

Dr. Rahal and his surgical team have been working together for a long time and they are like a well oiled machine working together in harmony.  Everybody knows their part and everybody that works on. each portion of the procedure is an expert at what they do.  Furthermore, Dr. Rahal is involved in the entire procedure, even if he’s not the one doing every part of the surgery himself.   You’ve probably heard the expression work smarter, not harder.  In some cases, even if you are the expert and possess the most knowledge, there may be somebody who performs a particular task even better or at least just as well. and since her transplant, surgery would be overwhelming for one person to perform the entire procedure, it’s crucial to utilize a team of experienced medical professionals that can perform certain parts of the procedure at least as well, if not even better than the surgeon himself.

Now it may give you warm and fuzzy feelings to think of the doctor, doing all parts of the procedure him or herself. But at the end of the day, this is not usually for the best and doesn’t typically produce an optimal outcome.

I hope this helps 

Patient Advocate - Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

35 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

I know it probably sounds compelling to think of a doctor doing the entire hair transplant procedure themselves. However, be careful with this kind of thinking. A doctor attempting to do an entire procedure himself would become exceptionally fatigued, and the results would be subpar.  The best results are produced by a dedicated and experienced surgical team, led by an outstanding and skilled hair transplant surgeon who performs the crucial part of the procedure, himself.

There are younger surgeons doing it with spectacular results. You're right though, I think it gets harder for surgeons as they get older because physical fatigue becomes a factor.

On 11/12/2023 at 11:47 PM, consequence said:

Meaning both extraction and implantation.

The names I've heard before are Zarev, Lorenzo, Keser and Konior, though I'm not sure if this is still the case so any recent patients please chime in.

Who else? 

and dr munib

On 11/13/2023 at 5:11 PM, consequence said:

"Involved" is kind of ambiguous. He does the entire procedure himself or uses techs?

I have heard he does the incisions himself and then he supervises the techs and makes the extractions and implants together with them.

On 11/13/2023 at 4:12 PM, consequence said:

No idea if he does currently. I believe at one point he did but would love to hear from one of his patients.

Back in 2014 he invited me to observe him perform a strip surgery (I was in the US on vacation and made a stop off on my return journey).

He makes the incisions one at a time while one tech (usually Lisa, but no idea if others do now) implants a graft.  Another tech is providing the grafts.  As it was a strip case there was at least another 2, maybe 3 techs cutting the strip and assiting with dressings, surgical tools, monitoring etc.

Edited by 1978matt

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

22 hours ago, NK1 said:

I had my FUE with Konior this August. As far as I could tell (in my valium-induced state), he was the only one that interacted with my scalp and did all the extractions, slits, and implantation. Like Melvin said the techs were probably in the back room sorting and preparing the grafts. Morning was extractions, afternoon slits and implantation. There were also 2-3 techs next to konior at all times as he was working on me - probably handing him grafts, etc. I could hear them all talking a lot.

One thing I did notice is that he doesn't really have to do anything apart from the surgery itself.  The techs literally put everything on a plate for him, so he can enter the room, do his stuff, then take a break to look at his emails or whatever...then back in the room and everything is ready to go immediately once he's scrubbed up.

So there's not really any heavy lifting involved as the logistics are done by others.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

3 hours ago, 1978matt said:

Back in 2014 he invited me to observe him perform a strip surgery (I was in the US on vacation and made a stop off on my return journey).

He makes the incisions one at a time while one tech (usually Lisa, but no idea if others do now) implants a graft.  Another tech is providing the grafts.  As it was a strip case there was at least another 2, maybe 3 techs cutting the strip and assiting with dressings, surgical tools, monitoring etc.

Interesting. So not really doing the procedure by himself but maybe like 75% if techs are helping with placement.

Couto didn't do any of the extractions on me, but all of the incisions and placement, not sure if he was different before or does different amounts depending on the patient.

Eugenix I *think* lets you buy a more expensive package where the docs do both extraction and placement?

Hattingen is also a husband/wife team and may be similar, not sure.

Lorenzo does not do extractions and now in some cases does not even do the implantation. I will say that good technicians can give you a perfect result as well but having experienced both techs and doctors working on me, you can feel the difference in the confidence of a doctor's hands.