A hair transplant without Finasteride. Some people say the transplanted hair will fall out. Isn't the transplanted hair resistant to DHT?

I have a naturally high hairline with minimal hair loss. 29M NW1,5 - I am planning to do a hair transplant to lower the hairline. Without finasteride.

I don't mind getting more transplants in the future.

Edited by Proportions

The transplanted hair is only resistant to DHT, but not necessarily completely immune.

That said, I think a more common use of Finasteride is to prevent further loss of the native hair, e.g. behind a transplanted hairline.

• Like 2

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000FU, Summer 2023

That depends on your heredity, if you destined to be NW5 with no potential to NW5-6 so probably the transplanted hair won't fall, however it will maintain native that will support your HT result to look more impressive.

Some NW6 candidates are reccomend to use Finasteride to preserve the donor against the DHT.

• Like 1

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

It can happen but it all depends on the individual patient, your DHT sensitivity, how aggressive your loss is, etc. The Donor hair is DHT resistant, not DHT proof for everyone.

If you want to play it safe, take finasteride or a different anti androgen. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

DHT resistant, not DHT proof. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

If you are NW 1.5 you have no business getting a HT. Give it another 5 years and reconsider. 

If I have a naturally high hairline that ruins my proportions, why would I wait longer for getting a HT based solely on my low Norwood?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2023 at 10:29 PM, manutd4545 said:

In my case transplanted hair did continue to weaken over 10 years since my first HT in 2011 despite still taking finasteride. This is not the norm but rather the exception.

Did you have a second transplant?

On 10/23/2023 at 10:55 PM, gaz9318054 said:

The transplanted hair is only resistant to DHT, but not necessarily completely immune.

That said, I think a more common use of Finasteride is to prevent further loss of the native hair, e.g. behind a transplanted hairline.

Do you think it is possible then to achieve good results as Norwood 6/7 without Finasteride?

On 10/24/2023 at 9:37 AM, Doron Harati said:

That depends on your heredity, if you destined to be NW5 with no potential to NW5-6 so probably the transplanted hair won't fall, however it will maintain native that will support your HT result to look more impressive.

Some NW6 candidates are reccomend to use Finasteride to preserve the donor against the DHT.

Can you still get a good result without it though?

2 hours ago, Read123 said:

Can you still get a good result without it though?

In general the meds and extra treatments like iprf won't change the quality of the surgery, however some minority candidates with diffused pattern or weak donor need to consume Finasteride and Minoxidil 6-12 months before surgery so the donor be stronger with more vitality to the grafts so they'll survive and absorb more, they also need to continue with the meds after surgery.

So in general you can achieve good results without meds, but meds can significantly boost your result and make it more impressive and sustainable.

I myself didn't use any meds after my 1st repair at HDC for my frontal area, I started using topical formula of Finasteride mixed with Minoxidil after my 2nd repair (crown mainly), so I personally prefer and advice considering using meds after surgery.

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.