Should I get a HT?

I am 24 now and I have receding hairline and thinning crown. I have been losing hair at around 21 years old but its getting worse 1 year ago. I am thinking of getting HT and Dr.Damkerng Pathomvanich estimate I will need 2,500+ grafts from the photos I sent him. My dad had the same problem so I guess I will be following the same trend. I need some opinion on whether I should get a HT now because its really awkward to lose hair at this age.

DSCF6673.JPG.88f4d8cf0a87bd1ffc923d064a1e133c.JPG

I am 24 now and I have receding hairline and thinning crown. I have been losing hair at around 21 years old but its getting worse 1 year ago. I am thinking of getting HT and Dr.Damkerng Pathomvanich estimate I will need 2,500+ grafts from the photos I sent him. My dad had the same problem so I guess I will be following the same trend. I need some opinion on whether I should get a HT now because its really awkward to lose hair at this age.

Welcome NYS,

As a rule you shouldn't get a transplant until your loss has stabilised. If you do decide to go ahead or not is only something that you can decide really.

If you do go ahead, you will be in great hands with Dr.Damkerng Pathomvanich, have you expressed your concerns with him?

The answer is YES if you are unhappy with how the state of your hair currently is. You have to realize that it is not going to get any better and it will only get worse. If you are not happy with how you looked with a shaved head then YES you should get a HT.

However, you should know that the best case scenario would be that you get a HT and take propecia and rogaine to stop further loss and it actually does stop further loss. Most likely scenario is that you can expect to get another HT as you continue to lose hair.

NYS,

Welcome to our forum community.

If you are considering hair transplant surgery, you've come to the right place to research it. Ultimately, the decision to undergo surgery will be between you and your doctor, if you are a candidate and can commit to and be satisfied with what a long term hair restoration plan can bring you.

As Maxy rightfully pointed out, stabilizing your hair loss is an important part of the plan which is why non-surgical treatments like Propecia and Rogaine are often used to prevent the progression of male pattern baldness.

in my opinon, if you are considering Dr. Pathomvanich for surgery, you've obviously been doing your research. If I were you, I'd consult with him to get his professional input on a plan that's right for you.

Best wishes,

Bill

NYS,

I am like you (same classification on the NW scale) and was advised on the same amount of grafts. I believe generally speaking you will need 1000 grafts per degree on the NW scale. You will probably be advised to delay any work on the crown and just treat it with medication, the surgical focus being the front and top, initially.

take care...

I would say to start with medication first to stabilize your hair loss. In general it is better to wait at least a year of medication before having HT. As shown on your pictures, i think you will probably need a HT. I think what your doctor is suggesting seems reasonable.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

i concur with the others. get on meds for a year, see what it does for your crown. you're not gonna get much growth up front which is where it looks like you'll want to concentrate the bulk of the grafts anyway. i'd shoot for 3000 grafts in the front.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Im 23 now just had one 4 months ago.

With your loss, I would not touch your crown at all. Get on meds, and if after consults you decide its for you, do a procedure for the front only. Hopefully the meds will stabilize your crown loss, and at least slow it down. Definitely do not put any grafts in the crown I'd say. Also if youre self concious, look into some concealers. Dermatch works quite well.

August 12, 2008 - 3100 grafts Dr. Feller

Check out my blog - http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=876

meds play a HUGE role in most successful transplants anyway.... i think if hairloss bothers you MeDS are your first and BEST course of action.... many think using minox is a hassle,(myself incuded before i just did it) but once you get a morning and/or night routine its easy, quick and in many cases makes a big difference. same with the propecia. wake up take it with breakfast and bam!. your done... get on meds and see what it can do for your crown....they have help me keep my crown in tact for 3 years now.

now IF you choose to take the transplant route be aware that they are not even close to cures.. you only have so much donor and UNDERSTAND THAT MEDS DONT LAST FOREVER...your hairloss will progress, more than likely.. do not set your hairline to low unless you are ok with hair up front and an eventual bald back and crown as you age and lose more hair... future loss is the most imprtant thing when your young,still have some native hair and are considering a HT... it is NOT a decision between 'you and your doctor'.they can both help and hurt, so talk with SEVERAL, as well as several real patients.. it is YOUR DECISION ONLY, and you should not make it until YOU learn the truth about transplants and what can fully be accomplished... listen to docs but YOU need to see it for yourself.. research on here for a LONG while.and do what you can to see transplants IN PERSON.. this is important..

consider the scar, consider the FACT that since you will most likely lose more hair, you cannot expect to achieve anything CLOSE to natural overall density, witout compromising your overall coverage in the future.. know that VERY seldom does someone have one HT and is set for life... it is a commitment, and its a serious one. the most COMMON complaint with transplants are that they are THINNER than the patient expected. again, an appropiate hairline, and how you manage your avliable donor is the KEY.... all that said if hairloss is effecting your life negativly meds, research, more research, and evental WELL PLANNED action can give you a decent chance at improving your hairloss situation, and overall look.. be smart and keep us updated on how the meds are workin for you, if you choose to take em.you need to give them time.a good time to research while toy waiticon_smile.gif... all the best

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

The Dr. you are consulting is, like most on this site, one of the best in the biz and there really aren't that many. The thing about the best is they give you the realities of what they can do and what you can realistically expect. The one thing it is critical to understand is that you have a finite amount of donor hair hence all the comments about stabilizing and getting the best understanding of how it is likely that your level of hair loss is going to end up is imperative. Only the best Docs can help on this. Take your time,research, ask a lot of questions and listen to the Doc. Even though it sucks greatly to lose hair chances are you're going to lose more so the initial HT may look fine but in time you'll need more and eventually you will run out of donor hair and those are a non-renewable resource so treat them as such. Best of luck.

My Hair Loss Weblog

why wait until you are completely bald and then a transplant is evident to everyone?

Youre in the situation of being proactive so i would get the front done and then do another HT when you recede back.

why wait?

hardcore long-term veteran of hack plug doctors to ultra refined coalition doctors.

knowledgeable about show business hair transplants

Originally posted by celeb hair vet:

why wait until you are completely bald and then a transplant is evident to everyone?

Youre in the situation of being proactive so i would get the front done and then do another HT when you recede back.

why wait?

So you don't run out of donor hair and end up looking like a goof. Course, if you're only planning on living to 40 or so then yeah, shoot the moon.

My Hair Loss Weblog