Will We See Loniten (Oral Minoxidil) Again?

Gatsby

• Valued Contributor

For sometime now, oral minoxidil (Loniten) made by Pfizer has been out of production. In fact it's been a year and all of the shelf stock is out. It's impossible to buy here in Australia and I know Spain and Canada are also feeling the pinch (along with the UK but don't quote me). In the States it seems fine. The reasons that I have seen are varied and I'm not sure after doing some internet research which is true. I've read that due to a NY Times article in 2022 on the beneficial use of Loniten for hair loss the demand for Loniten sky rocketed which put a dent in production and for some reason production (which doesn't really make sense). Australia was supposed to have Loniten (10mg in 100 tablet bottles) by August of this year. Then it was pushed forward to September. I have recently just been informed that it will now be November. My big concern is that Pfizer just may cease production as it is not indicated for hair loss and is only used off label. Loniten is very affordable with a hundred 10mg tablets (which you can half or quarter) costing AUD$40. It won't be the end of the world because it can be compounded but the price of this will be through the roof compared to Loniten.

Does anyone have any updates of what is going on and what are people experiencing with their Countries supplies with Loniten?

• Like 1

I’ve never had any issues getting 2.5 mg tablets or 10 mg tablets (split in half) of generic oral minoxidil here in the states, for which I’ve had/have prescriptions for both. But I’ve never asked the pharmacist for brand name Loniten, which I’m sure is way more expensive than generic. 

Edited by Amiele

• Valued Contributor

Ok. Here in Australia the cheapest is Loniten. It comes in 10mg tablets in a bottle of 100 tablets. I break the tablet in half and I get 200 days for AUD$40. That's nearly 7 months worth. I have enough until December then I will have to get it compounded which will cost a lot more but oral minoxidil has really helped my case. I'll keep speaking to pharmacists and hopefully Pfizer don't drop it and start production of it back soon. Yes it doesn't seem to be a problem in the States from what I've read.

There's a shortage in Canada for sure. I only managed to find one bottle in one pharmacy after contacting like 10 of them. Had to get it compounded this time, which was a bit expensive. Loniten costs 44C$ for 40 2.5mg tablets. Compounding cost me 120C$ for 120 1.25mg tablets.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
1 minute ago, 4chanhue said:

There's a shortage in Canada for sure. I only managed to find one bottle in one pharmacy after contacting like 10 of them. Had to get it compounded this time, which was a bit expensive. Loniten costs 44C$ for 40 2.5mg tablets. Compounding cost me 120C$ for 120 1.25mg tablets.

Yes the 5mg version of brand name Loniten is the cheapest and has definitely dried up as it has not been produced for a year now. Hoping Pfizer start production again very soon (though every date I'm given gets pushed forward). Thanks for sharing!

Just now, Gatsby said:

Yes the 5mg version of brand name Loniten is the cheapest and has definitely dried up as it has not been produced for a year now. Hoping Pfizer start production again very soon (though every date I'm given gets pushed forward). Thanks for sharing!

There's plenty of supply in India and you can get a tablet for around C$0.25-C$0.90(2.5mg-10mg), depending on what strength you need. I may just bring in like a year of supply when I'm there next or just try shipping it here. 

A year of supply would cost me around 95 C$ vs C$ 720+tax from compounding pharmacy here. I don't know why nobody else is trying to sell minoxidil here to meet demand. Patents? Regulations? There are many generic brands selling in India, bringing prices down.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2023 at 1:56 PM, Gatsby said:

Loniten is made Pfizer and there is no generic. Other oral versions of minoxidil are compounded. I would love it if there was a generic of Loniten as it would be even cheaper again.

are there any risks if the tablets are compounded by local pharmacy?

• Administrators
On 10/23/2023 at 2:06 PM, SoSoz said:

are there any risks if the tablets are compounded by local pharmacy?

Dr. Vaño feels that most side effects are from compounding mistakes.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.