I stopped Finasteride after 10 years in a hope to become a normal person

un13

So long story short . Been using fin for 10 years, had no sides that can be spotted, but after years of use my life came to a point where i start to had episodes of depression, which led me to use of prozac . Another thing is a brain fog.  Not sure when it started since its not just hit you at once, but over time my life become just trash : lack of energy, no motivation, i have memory problems  and so on. Basically you dont live a full life, started to feel myself like im an empty shell with no soul .. So i dropped it like half a year ago. ATM its hard to say if im becoming who i was before fin , but i hope that it will happen . Just a thought for everyone who is using it  , those sides didnt hit me in one day, there were creeping little by little over the years .

If some of you have questions, feel free. I will do my best to answer

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, un13 said:

So long story short . Been using fin for 10 years, had no sides that can be spotted, but after years of use my life came to a point where i start to had episodes of depression, which led me to use of prozac . Another thing is a brain fog.  Not sure when it started since its not just hit you at once, but over time my life become just trash : lack of energy, no motivation, i have memory problems  and so on. Basically you dont live a full life, started to feel myself like im an empty shell with no soul .. So i dropped it like half a year ago. ATM its hard to say if im becoming who i was before fin , but i hope that it will happen . Just a thought for everyone who is using it  , those sides didnt hit me in one day, there were creeping little by little over the years .

If some of you have questions, feel free. I will do my best to answer

I think I feel you, I feel like after 3 years of using it I am less strong mentally than I used to, went over a breakup and kinda went through depression whereas before I would get over things faster. 
idk if this had an impact or not 

@un13 it's very possible that your issue is unrelated to finasteride, but it's also possible that it's directly related to finasteride. It's really impossible to say, but if you're feeling this way I think you are wise to try getting off of it. 

How would you rate your sleep quality? Any snoring or signs of sleep apnea? 

Im tempted to wean off finasteride, just to see if it has contributed negatively to my depression and also see the difference in libido.

Although I do take anti depressants also which could also be affecting libido.

Probably next year maybe, as just recently bought 6 months worth 

or even just tapering down to 3x weekly

A lot of the issues you described were a mental change in lifestyle. 

Take note of how you feel, address your concerns with your doctor, perhaps speak to a professional about some issues your facing.

A + B =/= C all the time. Causation without correlation isnt always the same as one specific issue. I.E. saying everyone who drinks water dies. While that may be true, not all causes are water related deaths. 

Just document how you feel and try experimenting with lower dosages and if you feel the medication is the issue for you, then perhaps your best recourse is to completely remove it from your system.

Number one thing is your health. Make sure you speak to professionals (multiple doctors if possible) and see what alternative solutions you can take to preserve hair and stay, mentally, healthy

• Like 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

• Administrators

It’s hard to attribute your depression on finasteride. It’s possible life circumstances have led to your depression. If you don’t improve off the medication, it probably wasn’t the medication causing it. Hopefully you’re speaking to a therapist. Mental health is important 🙏

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 months later...

A quick update on my case. I read a lot of msges here that its not related etc. Well im off the fin since Apr. 2023. I dont use any medication atm and i can confirm that my overall state improved. Much less foggy , more motivated. Overall mood is better too. Additional thing is that my semen became thicker. When i was on fin it was kinda watery. Downside : i shed a bit, so my hair is not that thick anymore, but its manageable. Happy New Year everyone ! 

• Valued Contributor
43 minutes ago, un13 said:

A quick update on my case. I read a lot of msges here that its not related etc. Well im off the fin since Apr. 2023. I dont use any medication atm and i can confirm that my overall state improved. Much less foggy , more motivated. Overall mood is better too. Additional thing is that my semen became thicker. When i was on fin it was kinda watery. Downside : i shed a bit, so my hair is not that thick anymore, but its manageable. Happy New Year everyone ! 

So glad to hear that the black dog is behind you now @un13. Your mental health is everything. 👍

7 hours ago, un13 said:

Glad to hear you're doing better. A hair transplant surgeon that we're not supposed to mention here said he has seen patients have the exact same thing happen to them after years of finasteride use in a YouTube video. Just don't tell Kevin Mann.

• Like 1