What are the chances I develop NW 6

• Valued Contributor

@Recession1

Hairloss is unpredictable thing and can hit you hard anytime though from your pictures it seems you will not reach to such an advance stage of baldness in near future plus your are on medication which will help you with this....though 2.5 mg dutasteride daily is a pretty high dosage....since how long you are on this regime ?

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

• Administrators

At 35 the likelihood is very low. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Very low chances to turn NW6 in your case, you got pretty beefy donor.

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

I would have thought with your current hair at age 35 on dutasteride its probably unlikely you will lose much hair at all if any - most aggressive hair loss happens in the 20s without a dht blocker, does it not? Someone correct me if i'm wrong!

I have heard most guys have aggressive hairloss in their 20s. The concerning thing for me is that I started medication at age 23 at the first signs of hairloss… so have I just postponed hairloss and kicked the can down the road so to speak? Would I be a NW 6 right now without medication? Hard telling…. That is the confusing thing with medication…most hair surgeons tell me that I am in great shape and can aggressive with hairline transplant based off of age and minor loss but maybe genetically my hairloss will now kick in and overpower medication and I will go to NW 6. That is the confusing part of hair loss and the risky part of surgery.  

On 8/25/2023 at 1:52 AM, Recession1 said:

I have heard most guys have aggressive hairloss in their 20s. The concerning thing for me is that I started medication at age 23 at the first signs of hairloss… so have I just postponed hairloss and kicked the can down the road so to speak? Would I be a NW 6 right now without medication? Hard telling…. That is the confusing thing with medication…most hair surgeons tell me that I am in great shape and can aggressive with hairline transplant based off of age and minor loss but maybe genetically my hairloss will now kick in and overpower medication and I will go to NW 6. That is the confusing part of hair loss and the risky part of surgery.  

I'm in a similar boat to you, i'm 32 soon and have similar NR 2.5-ish temple only recession. I only started blocking DHT 3 years ago, but even before starting my hair loss seemed to have slowed down a lot naturally compared to early 20s. I just didn't want to risk losing more.

I think you have not kicked it down the road, you've avoided it during the roughest years. The body naturally produces less hormones due to aging as we get older, so I think the worry is less as we age. There are stories of people losing their hair at 50s and 60s randomly out of the blue, but I would imagine in most cases they faced some stress in life or had to take hormones for some condition to cause that. Or maybe even just accidentally supplemented something incorrectly, took too much calcium with no co-factors, something like that. This is just my personal speculations though.

In saying that, and I can't see the relationship between your current hairline and your facial features, so take this with a grain of salt, but if I were you I wouldn't go the aggressive route. In your bottom photo you've got two lines drawn, I'd just go for the first one. That's what I plan to do with my hairline. Whenever the hairline is lowered below the native hair it starts to look unnatural, and it will look sparse by comparison. If the first one goes really well, you can always get the second one later if you're still keen.

Edited by mark91

Mark, I completely agree with all of that. It is very tempting to not go with lower hairline especially when one of the top surgeons in the world draws it that low and recommends It based on my current hairloss situation, age, and meds. I have seen some cases from him where he has taken only 2,500-3000 grafts and restored their whole frontal third that was completely gone with great density. I guess my goal is to get through my 30s and 40s with a great hairline and good density and then can live with coverage of the mid and crown an even have a thinning but coverage look transitioning to the back. With the surgeon saying I have 8,000 grafts available I can easily accomplish that. While the lower hairline is tempting I think you are right about taking the more conservative approach.  

• Like 1