Decided to finally do it - need some advise

Hi All, long time reader and first post. 

I have been contemplating a transplant for a long time and finally decided to do it. I am based in Sydney Australia and have seen 2 surgeons (1 in double bay and the  other in Chatswood) 

Both did not inspire a great deal of confidence, and said I had below average doner hair, and would be lucky to extra 2000 grafts. 

I am currently a NW4-5 and 40 years old, I have been having hair loss for maybe  15 years or so, I am on oral Fin and Min for the last 5 years, and had some regrowth (was a hard NW5 and now have a very light hairline back) 

I have consulted with Dr Das at Eugenix and was told they would be able to get 3200 from the donor and ~300 from sideburns. 

Has anyone had any experience with Eugenix? does 3200 sound like a fantasy ? 

Or do I go with the Australian based doctors ?  the cost for 3500 grafts in India is the same as 2000 in Sydney. 

would really appreciate any advise or thoughts as I am a little unsure on how best to proceed. 

thank you 

depending on your end-goals, a hair transplant might not even make sense for you. For 2000 grafts definitely not, for 3500 grafts its pretty dicey....

For 3500 grafts you are only going to get your frontotemporal region filled in, and that is a best case scenario and ONLY IF surgery goes well

With a lifetime total of 3500 grafts you are getting no work on the midscalp or crown. 

Edited by HappyMan2021

• Valued Contributor

First of all welcome to the forum and you are lucky that you found this forum and passed on surgery in Australia. Do not have surgery in Australia!!!! Australian surgeons do not hold a candle to elite surgeons overseas. Eugenix is an excellent choice and Dr Das is an excellent surgeon. Eugenix are renowned for working with high Norwood scale 6/7 patients. Have a look at some of the results by patients on the forum (including myself) who have gone to Eugenix. Do lots of research before hand and wishing you all the best!

Thank you for the fast reply!  

Yes, I am not in any delusion that I will go back to my glory days of Elvis locks that I once had :D  but was wanting to focus on just the frontal area - I was told I would have good results by Dr Das with 4,400 grafts (900 from the beard) which would also fill the crown 

This is what they are suggesting with the 3,500 

e09452b5-8919-4c91-b0bb-e44204563375.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Gatsby, Thanks for the welcome! 

Yes, this forum and also some online reviews are the main reason I passed on wanting to do the work in Australia - the number of poor results was just scary! 

I am also Contemplating Dr Yaman Hair Clinic in Turkey, however the trip is much easier to India from Aust 

6 hours ago, DavidJ said:

Thank you for the fast reply!  

Yes, I am not in any delusion that I will go back to my glory days of Elvis locks that I once had :D  but was wanting to focus on just the frontal area - I was told I would have good results by Dr Das with 4,400 grafts (900 from the beard) which would also fill the crown 

This is what they are suggesting with the 3,500 

e09452b5-8919-4c91-b0bb-e44204563375.jpg

Seems like an appropriate approach from Eugenix. You should expect good coverage with 3500 grafts. It should solve your frontal to mid issues. Any reasons for not addressing crown ?

1 hour ago, DavidJ said:

Thanks !

I was not wanting to take beard hair for the crown as I was worried about scarring 

On the contrary, beard heals so well there’s no scarring at all. Scalp leaves scarring. 

I don’t understand though you look like NW5/6 giving you coverage overall seems easy. How is your donor and beard hairs. You should also forget about the side temples, they are a nice extra and should be recreated when there are actually spare donor. 

Mate, if you don’t have visa issues, travel shouldn’t be a hinderance. 

Thanks for the advise ! I might actually go for the beard hair also.  Will also rethink the side temples as they are not really an issue to me either.

My doner is weakish (thats what Aust docs have been saying)  but Dr Das at Eugenix seems to think 3200 is possible from the doner and a further  300 from the "burns" with maybe 900 or so from the beard to fill the crown.

Visa from Aust to india is no probs. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

I've been to Eugenix twice from Melbourne and it's a cinch! I would forget about what any Australian doctor has said. No one here in Australia can perform results like Eugenix or any other elite surgeon world wide can. There is a reason why you don't see great results being posted from here. They don't exist.

• Like 1

Just to make sure I am being thorough and doing my research - I had a "online" consult with Dr Yaman Hair Clinic in Turkey - The opinions were almost identical. 

• 4,400-4,500 grafts
  • Doner is ok 
  • Will use Beard hair to fill the crown  

What is the difference in quality between the Eugenix and Dr Yaman ?  The price is one big one , Eugenix is 3x as much, Circa $20k vs $7k (Australian Dollars)  Would the quality/result be that different ?

I am really confused now as to who to go with    

• Administrators

What are your expectations? You have extensive hair loss. You must know that you will require multiple procedures to address your scalp. The biggest difference between Eugenix and Dr. Yaman is the number of grafts each clinic can do in one session. Eugenix can do more grafts because they have the capacity and the staff. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I just want to get some coverage back - I was told I would need to have 3 days of work at both clinics. As both clinics can do "around" 1,500 grafts per day. So the transplant would be performed over 3 days. 

Other than that, there doesn't seem to be much difference that I can see? Unless I am very wrong?

I have also reached out to Dr Gur and waiting on a response -  I was also looking at Dr Bicer, however her prices are the same as Eugenix, and India is closer as far as travel is concerned. 

So its coming down to;

• Eugenix  (Dr Das) ~AUD$24,000
  • Dr Yaman ~AUD$ 12,000
  • Dr Gur  (TBA) 

I have been reviewing work performed by all Dr's and they all seem good.  My big concern is the negative remarks I have read about Dr Yaman being a "hair mill" and maybe he overharvest (but a lot  of seems to be opinion)  I am just very nervous as this is a big deal.

@DavidJ,

Without knowing any real detail about you personally or seeing photos of your donor here, you do look like a candidate for Hair Transplant surgery based on the one photo you presented. In my opinion though, choose a surgeon based on their proven ability to produce all center results and only use location and cost as a final determining factor if you have to.

in my opinion, too many people select a surgeons based on low cost or a  convenient location and end up with a poor result and I need for repair surgery.  Not only does this require the patient to travel and pay potentially higher costs for the second, repair procedure, it’s a complete waste of precious, limited donor hair and may even affect the end result.

Frankly, it is a lot more difficult to repair a  procedure and transplant  over scarring from a previous procedure then it is to do it right the first time on an untouched scalp.

Since I see you’re already comparing surgeons and prices which is a good thing, just keep in mind that each surgeon will have their own philosophy on how many grafts you need to accomplish your initial goals in a single procedure and long-term goals which may involve subsequent surgeries.

I mention the above because by looking at your one photo, you seem to have pretty extensive hair loss and I would venture to suggest that you will need one more than one surgery to provide you with full coverage and adequate densityj… at least in the frontal core with a gradual fade in density as it  transitions into the crown.

Like I said, I see you’re already in the process of comparing surgeons which is good. If you would like to see what Dr. Rahal has to say about your case, feel free to contact me privately and I’ll be happy to get you in touch for a no obligation information session. 

Best wishes,

Rahl Hair Transplanh

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 8/25/2023 at 2:22 AM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Rahl Hair

Hello and thank you for the detailed information and advise. 

I am still working through my decision process and just waiting on a estimate/response from Dr Gur however this is taking longer than expected.  

I do feel I am in my short list between either;

- Dr Gur 

- Dr Yaman (who will be able to also perform manual extraction rather than machine) 

I am hoping both Drs are good. . 

Hey friend full disclaimer I am totally biased, but I'm going to chime in and echo what's already been said, Eugenix is an excellent choice. Having been to Dr Das myself, and achieved results that I am ECSTATIC with, she would be my recommendation.  

Nothing at all against the other Drs, I just believe in Eugenix and Dr Das based on personal experience of solid results, which are detailed in my post on here.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you on your journey 🙏 

• Like 1