Dr. Wong FUT | August 2023 | 5,534 grafts

PSJohnny

Hi everyone!

Well, I finally did it! I had my first HT procedure done, it’s taken me a couple of days to compile the pictures and my thoughts. Just as a background I started losing my hair probably around 21 or 22. I started my research probably around 26 or 27. I then spoke with a couple of clinics over the phone and started to get an idea what sort of work I needed. The last clinic I spoke with was H&W and I was given a good feeling because I was able to meet with their patient representative in person. I met with Doug back at the end of 2019 and was told I needed anywhere from 5,000 to 6,500 grafts to achieve an appearance of full coverage. He told me my laxity was perfect; however, my hair caliber seemed a little fine. Doug offered me an appointment around February 2020; but unfortunately, I needed a little more advance notice for my job. Fast forward 3 years due to covid I finally made an appointment for an FUT on August 8th 2023 with Dr. Wong.

I arrived at the clinic at 6:15AM sharp. I was greeted by one of the staff members ( I don’t remember her name ); but she was very helpful in calming my nerves and encouraging me about how this is only temporary ( I can’t stress enough how helpful she was ). It was now time to meet up with Dr. Wong; he said my hair caliber was great in addition to the laxity. He then shaved the top of my head and drew a hair line. We agreed everything looked good and moved to the next step. I was given a stress reliever ( I’m not sure what it was; but it definitely helped). I then moved to the operating room to get started with removing my strip. I think it took about an hour or so to take off the strip completely. One of the technicians even offered for me to take a look at them dissecting the grafts ( which was amazing ). Next, Dr. Wong made the incisions on my crown area and his technicians went to work. After finishing the crown, we then breaked for lunch. After lunch we moved on to the mid and frontal area and finished around 6PM. Dr. Wong did all the incisions and placed a couple grafts throughout the whole operation. In the entire time of the operation Dr. Wong periodically came by which gave me complete comfort in the whole operation. I can’t express enough how at ease I was during the whole procedure. My total count at the end of the day turned out to be : 5,534 grafts.

Feel free to ask me questions ; I gained so much knowledge from this place and now it's time for me to give back.

Day01.thumb.jpg.c78f12813e41030baf78bac45aed9ca9.jpg

Day02.thumb.jpg.25ece2c7b6bedb61279f2e1485cf692a.jpg

Day03.thumb.jpg.cfacd58f0eaa1c25674e536edc839e5f.jpg

• Like 3

• Valued Contributor

@PSJohnny

Hi...nice write up and happy to see that you had a great experience with them...thats a high graft count...do you know the size of strip? And can you please post pre op pics and pic of the back as well....wish you all the best brother ...Happy growing and keep updating ....

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

How funny, I was there the same day getting my procedure with Dr. Hasson! Looks like I missed you by about 45 minutes or so, as I showed up around 7.

Sending positive vibes for good results

• Administrators

This is gonna be an amazing outcome. Incredible they rebuilt everything, from the hairline to the crown.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@A_4_Archan  I’m sending a request for the strip length/size and my pre op pictures; I’ll post them as soon as I get them. Thank you for the kind words

@mrmajified Thank you sir; Yes, I’ve been watching your story a month before my surgery which was very encouraging. Best of luck to you as well

@ng528 Aww man bummer I didn’t get to see you. Thank you for the kinds words ; happy growing!

@Melvin- Moderator Thanks Melvin! I really hope so; I couldn’t believe like you said how they rebuilt everything. I was in absolute shock how amazing it looked; I haven't seen hair there in so long it’s just mind blowing.

@sftraderHT Thank you!

• Like 1

@Grouse TBH, I usually have my hair a little longer on the sides, I don't usually go bellow a 2 guard when I would get a hair cut ( just my personal preference) I never liked the faded cuts that are in style currently. Of course, IMO I feel that with FUT I'm gathering from the most DHT resistant area (hopefully) . Also, with my amount of hair loss I feel that FUT was just going to be the better route. 

Yes I'm on finesteride

Thank you for the kind comment, I really hope so! 

@hairlossPA Thank you,  I'll be making sure to update at least once a month or bi monthly, just depends on if there's anything to report.

@stephcurry30 If you look at prior work you'll see that with anyone; remember this is an illusion of density ( not true density ). From a couple years of research, I have seen that Dr. Wong has done countless surgeries and I'm sure he knows exactly what he's doing. Currently, I wouldn't be too critical on just a couple days postop; what really matters is 6 months from now. I'll be updating with photos pretty soon so you can see what it looks like. Stay tuned 😊

As promised here's the next update.

So far I feel great; I'm starting to have feeling back in the incision area. It seems like a lot of the redness has gone away on my scalp. I was given the OK to remove my staples on day 13. I had a total of 72 staples removed (I had a family member do it) . Then the next day on day 14 I cut my hair to a 5 guard on the sides which I really liked especially given how long it was. I had a couple family members look at my scar and they were saying it's super hard to tell where it is. I figure once the holes from the staples heal I may go shorter with my hair cut. Also, you'll notice that on the right side picture you can see my incision area a little better ( I think this is because the way I wear my hat ), it's also a definite difference in length from probably 1/8" of hair where the incision was made compared to 5/8" of hair cut around it.  You can also see how in the back of my head the hear sticks out which is where it would on the adjustment part of the hat.

Day15(1).thumb.jpg.9443bf03a018956cd9aad5580a3bff51.jpg

Day15(3).thumb.jpg.0e46abf6694f7ba3e78e365cce2a6f46.jpg

Day15(4).thumb.jpg.53afd46b5778abf40af267b1597cd194.jpg

Day15(5).thumb.jpg.f2aba232f30149426239d0559e5fa53e.jpg

Day15(2).thumb.jpg.9d3c1f58bd6fbff4a26a459a1747bc70.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

Super excited for this to grow. Btw your avatar is my new favorite 😂 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

@Melvin- Moderator Thank you Melvin :)

Haha yea I always loved that episode as a kid but never really understood what it actually meant to be bald obviously until I was older, now that episode resonates with me. The day after my surgery I went back to get my hair washed and someone was waiting to be checked (a week postop I think) and I felt just like this part in the episode of the avatar. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Here's my 1 month update, I really like the way everything is progressing. A lot of hair has fallen out but of course that's to be expected. I would say that 80% if not more of the feeling has come back in the incision area; it still has a weird tingling feeling when I touch certain areas. The top of my head is also starting to get feeling back. The incision scar looks better day after day. Also, for the amount of hair on my head I actually like the length of my hair cut. This last cut I went with a 4 guard. Not much else to report so I'll make sure to update next month.

1Month(4).thumb.jpg.570f152f57add2699ad6d6cef2e73f96.jpg1Month(2).thumb.jpg.95c225ca85dedcdafcd54f3d08663ae4.jpg

1Month(3).thumb.jpg.f76ce006bb9f10238130b88b62c841c2.jpg 1Month(5).thumb.jpg.527223917d8fc9f10761a8e192b9b555.jpg 

1Month(1).thumb.jpg.33445d14ca53844e07013dfe5f063593.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

Everything is healing nicely, your donor looks so lush and full. You’ve got a ton of grafts still 👏🏼

• Thanks 1

View my thread

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

Here's my 2nd month update. I would say at this point I feel completely normal in both my incision area and where the grafts were placed. I don't have any abnormal feelings around the incision area or the graft placement area. Currently, I have a 4 guard cut in the pictures below. I'm really enjoying the length; no more dreading those windy days! If you notice I'm getting a lot of pimples in the crown area and a couple up the in the front ; I'm hoping they're ingrown hairs. If anyone has input on that let me know. Not much else to report, until next month.

2Month5.thumb.jpg.f2912d3888a84597ff4bb77dd53c5287.jpg2Month3.thumb.jpg.f9a926f27ef4259b38b08407cfd3b479.jpg

2Month2.thumb.jpg.1ab9e81e81d9277bf0e40231a50228bd.jpg 2Month4.thumb.jpg.1fcbae137dd2bf4d743753a89c2aadba.jpg

2Month1.thumb.jpg.53cf8043508284b73fcfff89bf7d45df.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Friend, I am scheduled for a HT with Dr. Wong in April 2024 and have very similar hair loss to yours.

Did you request for him to start at the crown or was that his suggestion after seeing how many grafts were able to be taken?

Best wishes.

• Valued Contributor
On 10/13/2023 at 4:09 PM, PSJohnny said:

If you notice I'm getting a lot of pimples in the crown area and a couple up the in the front ; I'm hoping they're ingrown hairs. If anyone has input on that let me know.

@PSJohnny developing pimples post op is a normal part of the process of hair that are trapped but will push through. It's not uncommon to get pimples but they will eventually settle down. The important thing though is don't pop them. All the best!

52 minutes ago, Needhelpwithscar said:

@Team don’t get hair transplant dude, it’s hard to achieve the result you want. I had a fut procedure with dr Wong and left me with a nasty scar. 

@Needhelpwithscar thanks for your input.  I am already cut. I am a repair patient. I got operated on way too young, (21) by someone I trusted who kinda "sold me" on it when I was young and Naive. My "worst case" scenario is the one I live with now, except some $ poorer and a longer scar.

If it went bad I am ready to accept living with long hair from the sides and back in a ponytail, and bald on top as i am now. This covers my existing scars. 

Can you share more about your experience? Is your donor hair thin? was your density average? did you not have growth? 

My best wishes to you.