Dr. Blaine Lehr? Any patients?

Noble I know of Dr. Lehr. Of my 5 HT procedures, Dr. Norwood did 4 of them. He was the pioneer of HT for decades and was the Hasson/Wong/Sharpiro of his generation. He retired in the late 1990's. However, Dr. Lehr trained under Dr. Norwood the last 5 years before retirement. Then the last 2 years he became partners with Dr. Norwood and did most of the surgeries while Dr. Norwood focused on academics/teaching and getting ready for retirement.

On my last 2 procedures in the mid 1990's with Dr. Norwood, Dr. Lehr assisted. Dr. Norwood did all the work, but on the last one, Dr.Lehr did the donor disection and closing of the donor site.

From my experience(however indirect), Dr. Lehr seems like a very intellegent (I think he finished #1 in his medical school), very sencere about the patient, and at that time eager to learn as much as possible about HT. I dont think he has had any bad PR, and overall is probably an average physician with good potential. He's just younger then the H/W's and Shapiro's and hasnt done as many cases. In time, he might reach that top level.

He probably has such a low price to draw in more patients and to draw people to Oklahoma? One good thing, when I flew there, I got a direct flight to Oklahoma City which was easier than I thought.

Hope that helps, good luck, but dont decide on a doctor just based on price. Go for a consult, look at pics, and ask to see patients in person. Talk to him about future hairloss and check out his techniques.

I would also like to know if anyone has an opinion on Dr Lehr as I am seriously considering going to OKC for a procedure. It's going to either be there or Vancouver for me. Does anyone know what H&W charge for their transplants in american dollars? Also if anyone could provide before and after pics with Dr Lehr's procedure it would be greatly appreciated.

Kane,..

most recently, their prices were $4.50 for the first 1500 grafts, $2.50 for grafts above 1500...

Also, they comp you up to $400 for your flight..they also put you up at a very nice hotel for free...

They are quite good at what they do..definitely worth considering..

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

Nobel Victim and Kane-

Dr. Lehr rocks! I am now at 6 months post-op, and happy about the results. I was planning on waiting until 8 months to talk about the results, but I can't wait any longer. I'll post some pictures in the following weeks so you can see the results. I consider Lehr to be a top doc. I read everything I could about the guy before I had the procedure done, and only found good things about him. The only somewhat negative thing that I have ever (ever) read about him is from Smoothy - who thinks he doesn't have enough experience yet - BUT that was a decade ago (when Smoothy saw him). I think that by now (a decade later) he has enough experience. Besides, he trained under Norwood, who had tons of patients going to him, I doubt that anyone received more training than Lehr did. I also read about him being invited to those training labs (or whatever they are called) with the other top docs (i.e. - Shapiro). Why? Because he's good.

Once again, I think he did a great job and would definitely recommend him. From the many posts I've seen, I'd recommend H&W too, and some other docs. Personally though, if I can get great results either way (from several different great doctors), I'd save some money and head for Oklahoma. One of the things that impressed me the most about Lehr is that he is straight forward about everything. Do a consult with him and ask alot of questions. The important thing is that you feel comfortable about your decision. When you do the consult, let Dr. Lehr know that Foxlox from Utah recommended him, he'll know who I am.

Foxlox

Nobel Victim...

I just had 3173 grafts by Dr. Hasson. The cost averaged $3.06 per graft based on H&W fees plus $400 credit on travel. Only thing not included is the stupid $700 sales tax I had to pay. You can do the math if you want to average that out. It's tough for me, I'm from Delaware where we have no sales tax! icon_mad.gif

Point is, I got a superior procedure at a great price! icon_smile.gif

Nobel Victim-

Don't forget that Dr. Lehr will beat anyone's price by 10 percent. Use that to your advantage. I talked H&W down to $3 per FU, but still decided to go with Lehr. That means that I paid less than $3 per FU. Yes, I did have to pay for my flight, but I found one for pretty cheap (just book ahead of time). I didn't have to pay sales tax. I also had a great procedure done at an unbeatable price.

Foxlox

FoxLox,

I'm thrilled that your HT from Lehr is turning out great-- way to go! I never meant to discredit Dr. Lehr in my previous post. I never went to him-- only Dr. Norwood on 4 different procedures in the 90's and the last 2 procedures Dr. Lehr assisted Dr. Norwood-- that's my only contact with Dr. Lehr. At the time--6 yrs ago, Dr. Lehr seemed like an eager, intelligent, straight forward surgeon with the patient's interest in mind. As far as the "less experience" than a Hasson/Wong or Shapiro doesnt mean he has little experience-- just less than the TOP 3 docs above. Expertise/perfection comes with experience and those 3 have more than Lehr, hands down, because they have been in practice longer and had more cases. No doubt that Lehr is a good surgeon-- probably in the Top 25 but in my opinion I find it hard to think he's in H/W, Sharpiro's league right now (he has potential and might be getting there). But you wouldnt put Micheal Vick in the same league as John Elway or Dan Marino (or Allen Iverson in the same league as Majic or Micheal Jordan). In time Dr. Lehr might be in that level and according your your results and others-- it looks like he's heading in the right direction.

Keep the hair growing and best of luck dude.

Telephone man-

How many grafts are you basing that price on? I know that Lehr will beat any price by 10%, just look on his website. I got my procedure done at $2.70 per FU. I also know that H&W will drop their price (although they are not upfront about it like Lehr is). Like I mentioned earlier, before I had my procedure done, a sales guy from H&W responded to my email saying that they would match Lehr's $3 per graft. If H&W say they will match Lehr's price, email it to Lehr and he should do it for 10% cheaper. Negotiating is a good tool to use, as long as you are only doing it with good doctors. Best of luck to you.

Foxlox

• 3 years later...
Guest bengals

hi i am considering dr lehr too since he is a lot affordable any recomadions or updates on him

Originally posted by Smoothy:

Noble I know of Dr. Lehr. Of my 5 HT procedures, Dr. Norwood did 4 of them. He was the pioneer of HT for decades and was the Hasson/Wong/Sharpiro of his generation. He retired in the late 1990's. However, Dr. Lehr trained under Dr. Norwood the last 5 years before retirement. Then the last 2 years he became partners with Dr. Norwood and did most of the surgeries while Dr. Norwood focused on academics/teaching and getting ready for retirement.

On my last 2 procedures in the mid 1990's with Dr. Norwood, Dr. Lehr assisted. Dr. Norwood did all the work, but on the last one, Dr.Lehr did the donor disection and closing of the donor site.

From my experience(however indirect), Dr. Lehr seems like a very intellegent (I think he finished #1 in his medical school), very sencere about the patient, and at that time eager to learn as much as possible about HT. I dont think he has had any bad PR, and overall is probably an average physician with good potential. He's just younger then the H/W's and Shapiro's and hasnt done as many cases. In time, he might reach that top level.

He probably has such a low price to draw in more patients and to draw people to Oklahoma? One good thing, when I flew there, I got a direct flight to Oklahoma City which was easier than I thought.

Hope that helps, good luck, but dont decide on a doctor just based on price. Go for a consult, look at pics, and ask to see patients in person. Talk to him about future hairloss and check out his techniques.

Bengals,

Dr. Blaine Lehr is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network and I would certainly encourage you to at least considering consulting with him.

To see what his patients are saying, be sure to use the "find" feature of our community.

See also:

Toad's Hair Loss Blog - Surgery with Dr. Lehr

Jeff's Hair Loss Blog - Still only 5 months out from Surgery with Dr. Lehr (more growth to come

I hope this helps get you started in your research.

Bill

I was a patient of Dr. Lehr on 6/07. My procedure was pretty much exactly as what was listed on his webpage. I felt no pain throughout it, the recovery was quicker than what most people get, although I consider myself a quick healer, post op pain was handled pretty well with ibuprofen and tylenol-he gave narcotic meds, but I try to avoid them. I am at 7 months now, and I cannot tell the new hair from the native hair I had years ago. There is no difference. I get my hair cut in the back very closely, maybe 1/4", and my barber hasn't noticed the scar. He says it takes 12 months to get the end result, so I do not know how much else will come in, but I am very happy now.

His prices are very fair, his staff is skilled and kind, and he is an honest, straight forward doc. I would go to him. If you have any questions, please ask.

• 1 year later...

OK, I live a mile away from Dr Lehr and have even had a consult with him. When I go to the list of Physicians he is not listed, and on the map Oklahoma shows no doctors. Was he approved and then removed, or what happened here.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More