My Eugenix Experience

I have an appointment for a Eugenix procedure with Dr Das later this year (sooner if I can make that happen). For the benefit of folks here, I will follow the great example of others on the forum and keep a record of how things go throughout the process. I hope my experience will help others the way those Eugenix veterans' posts have helped me.

---

I first heard about Eugenix when I stumbled on this website. I don’t remember exactly what led me here, but what has kept me here was seeing the almost miraculous work Eugenix has done for others who appeared to have very little donor hair for the coverage they needed.

My Long Hair War

PAST HAIR TRANSPLANTS - I have had 4 previous hair transplants and need a doctor who can make the most of a limited donor supply. Here’s my HT history:

1. In the early 1990s, I saw an ad for Bosley in a Muscle and Fitness magazine. Despite the fact that I couldn’t afford it, I set up a procedure and got about 150 4 to 6 hair grafts placed in a too high, crooked hairline. The only thing this procedure accomplished for me was to give me a handful of doll-like plugs, a huge scar across the back of my head, and to trap me on the hair transplant road.

2. A couple of years later, I read that NHI did better work, so I went to them. They did do better work…but that was a pretty low bar for them to hurdle. I think I got about 300 grafts from them, but I’m not sure.

3. In the early 2000s, I somehow found Dr C*** (I saw someone else here spell his name that way, so I figured I would, too, until I find out why 😊 🤷‍♂️). He did much, much better work. I think he put about 1000 grafts in my hairline/front area. It was a strip procedure so he could cut out my thicker scar and give me a thinner one - which he did very well. The scar I was left with was very thin and an enormous improvement.

4. About 10 years later I went back and asked him to use FUE to fill in all of my donor scars (the major one across the back of my head and five small, short ones that had been created when the various HT doctor(s) were harvesting finer hair). I wanted this so I could buzz my hair short, which looks better on guys with diffusely thinning hair. Maybe he misread the instructions or maybe the person who wrote them down wrote them wrong or maybe someone else in the office did something wrong, but he packed all 1000+ grafts into my major donor scar and completely ignored my smaller ones…which meant I couldn’t buzz my hair short, the only purpose for the appointment. I didn’t discover the error until I got home (I live in a different state hours away). When I notified his office of the screw up, he offered to let me come back on Halloween (which was in a few days) to fill in the smaller scars. I couldn’t make that date work and he didn’t offer any other. I previously had a very high opinion of Dr C***, but that opinion took a hit after that. I don’t hate they guy or anything, but that’s not the way I would have handled a situation where the fault was entirely mine or my employee’s.

FINASTERIDE AND DUTASTERIDE - I also tried Finasteride in the early 2000s and seemed to be one of the people who didn’t respond to it except to have the dreaded low libido side effect. So I abandoned it for Dutasteride at the earliest opportunity. Dutasteride seemed to do a better job so I have been on it ever since. However, I’ve learned a lot in the last 20 years and don’t think I gave Finasteride enough time to work. I am going to give it another chance.

MINOXIDIL - I have also used topical minoxidil for decades, but only once a day (at night) because I couldn’t make my hair look good after applying it. I am going to start oral minoxidil soon and hope for a great response.

PERSONAL DETAILS - I am in my late 50s and have, I think, a Norwood 6A pattern with the equivalent of roughly 1500 grafts in the hairline/front of my scalp.

My Eugenix experience so far

SCHEDULING THE CONSULTATION - After seeing the amazing Eugenix results here and reading the great praise heaped on them by patients in this forum, I went to the Eugenix webpage and saw that they were going to be in the US doing consultations soon. I set up an appointment in Chicago, which is about a 6 hour drive from where I live. I was originally given a date of July 8th, so I made a reservation to stay in the same hotel where the consultations will happen so I could get up in the morning and already be there. Then, a few days later Eugenix called and left a voicemail saying my appointment had been moved to the following day (July 9th). Fortunately, that wasn’t an big deal. I simply changed my hotel reservation and made different arrangements with the person who was going to feed my pet while I was away.

Within 30 minutes of changing the reservation, Eugenix sent me a WhatsApp message saying the new appointment was on July 10th. Before calling the hotel yet again and changing the reservation, I responded to Eugenix and pointed out that I had been told it was moved to the 9th, not the 10th. A few minutes later they replied that the 9th was correct and that the 10th was a typo. 😉 I’m glad I questioned the second message, but anyone can make a mistake. All of the Eugenix people I have communicated with have been very polite.

MEETING DR PRADEEP SETHI - I met Dr Pradeep Sethi on July 9th at a little before 10 AM (via a WhatsApp message, they invited me to come 15 minutes before my appointment). The consultation was in his hotel room. Despite being jet-lagged and having suffered what appears to be a very badly twisted ankle that was giving him a great amount of pain, he was very friendly and welcoming. He had me sit on a couch with the bright morning light shining on my head. I had no idea my hair was that thin until he showed me the video he took. He noted the scars from my previous HTs and that my remaining donor hair on the back was thin, but that my sides were untouched and that I had "enough beard hair for all of Chicago." 😆 That was a relief to hear…but nothing compared to what he said next: 5000 to 5500 FUEs in a single session, addressing the hairline, temple peaks, top, and crown! Prior to the consultation, as a result of studying dozens of posts here (seriously, I have a spreadsheet on over 20 of you! Haha) and watching countless Eugenix YouTube videos, I had estimated that I would need 5200 FUEs to achieve the kind of incredible results I have seen here. So, hearing his estimate was very much like being told “Congratulations! You just wonder the lottery jackpot!”

He also showed me a video of another patient whose hair was very similar to mine in color and texture. I think it was @Bandit90 , but I’m not 100% sure. If I can get a result like Bandit90’s, I will move to Hollywood and get into the movies. 😄

My scalp donor situation must really be dire. Dr Sethi is including 500 chest hairs in that 5500 total. I haven’t seen Eugenix use chest hair very often here on the forum…except for the legendary @Gatsby , of course! 😉 I watched Dr. Arika Bansal’s video about the different types of donor hair and know they prefer to avoid chest hair unless it is absolutely necessary. But my chest hair is very similar to my scalp hair in texture and color and straightness, so it avoids some of the usual pitfalls. But, of course, it’s still only one hair per FUE and transection is still a bigger risk…

SCHEDULING THE PROCEDURE WITH ROLSTON – I decided I want the Premium Package with Dr Priyadarshini Das. After seeing her amazing work on @general-etwan and reading about her kindness and sense of humor when helping @messda (who wasn’t even her patient) when she replaced ONE GRAFT when he lost it, she seems like a fantastic choice for me. While she doesn't have as much experience as the founding doctors, I have complete confidence in her. For me, she is the right balance of skill and affordability. If money were no object, I would probably go with one of the founding doctors because of their greater experience and because my depleted donor area and scars will present some extra challenges. But, again, I have absolutely no reservations about having Dr. Das handle my case.
Today (July 11, 2023) I received a call from Rolston. Great guy. He explained what is involved with scheduling the procedure, what they need me to do and not do before the procedure, the minimum booking cost, the procedure cost, that we can move the date up or back if necessary (I am currently waiting for my passport renewal. Ugh. I would schedule the procedure for next month if I could! I'm ready to get this done! 😉), etc. After the call, he sent me a couple of WhatsApp messages covering much of what we discussed. Despite the fact that I took notes during our call, I really appreciate what he sent.
After my call with Rolston, I contacted my bank to let them know I was about to have a credit card charge (the minimum booking amount) going to India. In the past, the Fraud Prevention system has stopped payment until I clear an international charge, so I thought I'd let them know in advance and sidestep that headache. Rolston sent me a link to use to submit my booking payment. After clicking it and paying, I sent him a screenshot of the payment confirmation so he could see that I had gone through.

And that's where things stand as of now. Currently, I expect to have a procedure with Dr. Priyadarshini Das on Nov 7th, 2023...unless circumstances allow me to get there sooner. 

Dr Sethi photo.jpg

Edited by Odysseus
Added @ references to forum users' names
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

I don't see any sign of the grafts from your first 3 surgeries in your hairline. Did they fall out or do you shave them off or something? Or did Bosley really place them that high? 

Pretty much any hair you see in my hairline and front is transplanted hair. As for the pluggy Bosley grafts, the fact that they don't stand out like a sore thumb is a testament to how well Dr. C*** hid them behind 1000 very well-placed hairs that formed a natural looking (albeit thin) hairline. I can't say enough positive things about how much he helped me with the first procedure I had with him. That's primarily why I can't bring myself to get as angry as I would otherwise be about how he handled the mistake made during my second procedure with him. 
In the photo below I have put red lines around where the Bosely grafts are. You can see that the hair is slightly denser there. That's because of the larger grafts. In the wet-haired photo you can see the density difference much more clearly. I hope that Eugenix can remove those 150 grafts and divide them into more natural looking FUEs. But they might just choose to pack enough hair around them to make their unnaturalness invisible. We'll see.

Bosley grafts.jpg

Top (wet).jpg

@Odysseus

Thank you for choosing Eugenix Hair Sciences. We're happy that you have taken your time to do the research and thankful at the same time for showing your trust in us. Looking forward to seeing you next month, please feel free to send us a personalized message in case of any further questions.

Warmest Regards
Eugenix Hair Sciences 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

I don't see any sign of the grafts from your first 3 surgeries in your hairline. Did they fall out or do you shave them off or something? Or did Bosley really place them that high? 

Here's a photo that shows the problem more clearly. Because of a bright light directly overhead, it's much easier to see the unnatural appearance of those early implants that are about an inch or so behind my hairline. As my non-HT hair has thinned more over the years, it has gotten harder and harder to hide those grafts. They have made it impossible to avoid some degree of paranoia about my appearance in bright sunlight and under fluorescent lights. I would much rather have had a natural looking thinning appearance all these years than those unnatural looking groupings of hair. I look forward to finally putting an end to this issue.

doll.jpg

Brother you and I have been through the same hair journey. Bosley, NHI along with a scalp reduction in the 90s. I am also in my 50s and heavily considering Eugienix. I will be following your journey closely. Question - Have you ever used fibers to thicken your existing hair?

• Like 1

Here are various angles of my current situation. Honestly, if Dr. Sethi had told me the best Eugenix could do for me is to add some density to what I already have so I could achieve a more natural looking thinning, I would have been ecstatic. However, he also said they would improve my hairline and temple points...so I don't know what word to use to describe how I received that news! What's a stronger word than "ecstatic"? Whatever it is, that's what I was. 😄

Views.jpg

4 minutes ago, Hairboy67 said:

Brother you and I have been through the same hair journey. Bosley, NHI along with a scalp reduction in the 90s. I am also in my 50s and heavily considering Eugienix. I will be following your journey closely. Question - Have you ever used fibers to thicken your existing hair?

I have tried to use fibers (and I'm currently trying again), but I haven't been able to match my hair color. Medium Blonde is too dark and Light Blonde is too light. Both are obvious if I apply them to my head. I am considering mixing the two as some have advised...but what a pain in the neck that will be. I have also tried the "shoe polish"-type products, but with the same issue (color). In fact, I just bought Caboki's version of that sort of thing (and their fibers, btw) and tried it this morning and it was way too dark. I actually had the most luck with an eye shadow and brush...but the company stopped making the shade that looked best. Uuugh. 🤦‍♂️ I haven't been able to find a really good replacement. So, I have been using a bad replacement because it's better than nothing.

I will try to make this log of my Eugenix experience as information packed as possible for you and others and post the answers to questions I had as I was reading through other guys' experiences. Hopefully that will help you with your decision. 👍

• Like 1

[As I read through the various accounts written by happy Eugenix patients, I was able to gather pieces of information here and there that answered many of my questions, but not all of them (especially my logistics questions). I hope to use my experience to capture as much as possible so that those considering Eugenix will know what to expect each step of the way.]

The Medical History Form

After my call with Eugenix's medical counselor Rolston, I was sent a medical history form to fill out and send back to them. It was sent over WhatsApp, which is the main method of communication between Eugenix and me.

As you can see below, there was nothing unexpected in the medical history form. Here’s what it covered:

• Name
  • Address
  • Duration of baldness
  • Date
  • Email address
  • Phone number
  • Source (How I came to know about Eugenix)
  • What medications and treatments I have taken/take, for how long, how I responded to them, and whether I had any adverse effects
  • Whether I smoke or drink and, if so, how often
  • Whether I have had any local anesthesia before and whether I had any trouble with bleeding
  • Whether I have had any injury/wound which was sutured and whether there was any excessive growth at the suture site
  • Whether I have diabetes, hypertension, a thyroid disorder, any neurological issues, and/or any skin diseases
  • Whether I have any history of allergy to a drug or medicine
  • Whether I have any history of allergy to any Consumables
  • Whether I have any history of previous hair restoration surgery
  • My family's health history
  • My blood pressure measurement (fortunately I have my own cup and was able to take a reading as I was filling out the form)
  • My expectations from the procedure
  • When I plan to have my procedure

I filled out the form and returned it.

[As I read through the various accounts written by happy Eugenix patients, I was able to gather pieces of information here and there that answered many of my questions, but not all of them (especially my logistics questions). I hope to use my experience to capture as much as possible so that those considering Eugenix will know what to expect each step of the way.]

The Expected Timeline and Results

One thing that Eugenix has shown me repeatedly through our communications is that they want potential patients to understand the expected timeline and results of the hair restoration procedure. It's very important to them that their patients have a clear understanding of the process, which have been described as follows:

After the hair restoration procedure, it typically takes 5 to 7 days for the donor and recipient areas to fully heal. 

Once the healing process is complete, it takes 8 to 10 months to see full results. Elsewhere, however, they say that, on average, it takes around 12 months for all the implanted hair to fully grow. I am just going to assume that the one-year mark is the point where what I have is what I'm going to get. 

Before that 8-to-10-month mark, some of the implanted hair will grow. But the density will be lower than desired because not all of the hair is growing yet. 

Eugenix lays out an approximate hair growth timeline that describes the percentage of implanted hair growth to expect at various points in time:

First 4 weeks: During this period, most of the restored hair will remain and begin to grow in length. The scalp will appear denser, and patients generally feel extremely happy and satisfied with the procedure.

4th to 6th week: At this stage, the implanted hair may undergo shedding, which is commonly known as shock loss. It is normal to lose anywhere between 30% to 90% of the restored hair during this phase. It's important to note that this occurrence is a normal part of the healing process and does not indicate a failed procedure. Many individuals may become concerned and worry about the results, but there's no need.

8th week onwards: Starting from the 8th week, you will notice that the hair growth begins, and the density gradually increases every two weeks. The rough percentages of the implanted grafts during this period are as follows:

3 months: Approximately 30% grafts growth
4 months: Approximately 40% density
6th month: Approximately 60% density
10th month to 12th month: Full density

They also advise that if beard hair was used for the restoration (as it will be in my case...extensively), it may grow more slowly and may take even longer to achieve full density. While there is no way to expedite the growth process or achieve faster results, some patients have found that Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) treatment was effective in stimulating hair growth at a faster rate.

Edited by Odysseus

On 7/12/2023 at 2:11 AM, Odysseus said:

I have an appointment for a Eugenix procedure with Dr Das later this year (sooner if I can make that happen). For the benefit of folks here, I will follow the great example of others on the forum and keep a record of how things go throughout the process. I hope my experience will help others the way those Eugenix veterans' posts have helped me.

---

I first heard about Eugenix when I stumbled on this website. I don’t remember exactly what led me here, but what has kept me here was seeing the almost miraculous work Eugenix has done for others who appeared to have very little donor hair for the coverage they needed.

My Long Hair War

PAST HAIR TRANSPLANTS - I have had 4 previous hair transplants and need a doctor who can make the most of a limited donor supply. Here’s my HT history:

1. In the early 1990s, I saw an ad for Bosley in a Muscle and Fitness magazine. Despite the fact that I couldn’t afford it, I set up a procedure and got about 150 4 to 6 hair grafts placed in a too high, crooked hairline. The only thing this procedure accomplished for me was to give me a handful of doll-like plugs, a huge scar across the back of my head, and to trap me on the hair transplant road.

2. A couple of years later, I read that NHI did better work, so I went to them. They did do better work…but that was a pretty low bar for them to hurdle. I think I got about 300 grafts from them, but I’m not sure.

3. In the early 2000s, I somehow found Dr C*** (I saw someone else here spell his name that way, so I figured I would, too, until I find out why 😊 🤷‍♂️). He did much, much better work. I think he put about 1000 grafts in my hairline/front area. It was a strip procedure so he could cut out my thicker scar and give me a thinner one - which he did very well. The scar I was left with was very thin and an enormous improvement.

4. About 10 years later I went back and asked him to use FUE to fill in all of my donor scars (the major one across the back of my head and five small, short ones that had been created when the various HT doctor(s) were harvesting finer hair). I wanted this so I could buzz my hair short, which looks better on guys with diffusely thinning hair. Maybe he misread the instructions or maybe the person who wrote them down wrote them wrong or maybe someone else in the office did something wrong, but he packed all 1000+ grafts into my major donor scar and completely ignored my smaller ones…which meant I couldn’t buzz my hair short, the only purpose for the appointment. I didn’t discover the error until I got home (I live in a different state hours away). When I notified his office of the screw up, he offered to let me come back on Halloween (which was in a few days) to fill in the smaller scars. I couldn’t make that date work and he didn’t offer any other. I previously had a very high opinion of Dr C***, but that opinion took a hit after that. I don’t hate they guy or anything, but that’s not the way I would have handled a situation where the fault was entirely mine or my employee’s.

FINASTERIDE AND DUTASTERIDE - I also tried Finasteride in the early 2000s and seemed to be one of the people who didn’t respond to it except to have the dreaded low libido side effect. So I abandoned it for Dutasteride at the earliest opportunity. Dutasteride seemed to do a better job so I have been on it ever since. However, I’ve learned a lot in the last 20 years and don’t think I gave Finasteride enough time to work. I am going to give it another chance.

MINOXIDIL - I have also used topical minoxidil for decades, but only once a day (at night) because I couldn’t make my hair look good after applying it. I am going to start oral minoxidil soon and hope for a great response.

PERSONAL DETAILS - I am in my late 50s and have, I think, a Norwood 6A pattern with the equivalent of roughly 1500 grafts in the hairline/front of my scalp.

My Eugenix experience so far

SCHEDULING THE CONSULTATION - After seeing the amazing Eugenix results here and reading the great praise heaped on them by patients in this forum, I went to the Eugenix webpage and saw that they were going to be in the US doing consultations soon. I set up an appointment in Chicago, which is about a 6 hour drive from where I live. I was originally given a date of July 8th, so I made a reservation to stay in the same hotel where the consultations will happen so I could get up in the morning and already be there. Then, a few days later Eugenix called and left a voicemail saying my appointment had been moved to the following day (July 9th). Fortunately, that wasn’t an big deal. I simply changed my hotel reservation and made different arrangements with the person who was going to feed my pet while I was away.

Within 30 minutes of changing the reservation, Eugenix sent me a WhatsApp message saying the new appointment was on July 10th. Before calling the hotel yet again and changing the reservation, I responded to Eugenix and pointed out that I had been told it was moved to the 9th, not the 10th. A few minutes later they replied that the 9th was correct and that the 10th was a typo. 😉 I’m glad I questioned the second message, but anyone can make a mistake. All of the Eugenix people I have communicated with have been very polite.

MEETING DR PRADEEP SETHI - I met Dr Pradeep Sethi on July 9th at a little before 10 AM (via a WhatsApp message, they invited me to come 15 minutes before my appointment). The consultation was in his hotel room. Despite being jet-lagged and having suffered what appears to be a very badly twisted ankle that was giving him a great amount of pain, he was very friendly and welcoming. He had me sit on a couch with the bright morning light shining on my head. I had no idea my hair was that thin until he showed me the video he took. He noted the scars from my previous HTs and that my remaining donor hair on the back was thin, but that my sides were untouched and that I had "enough beard hair for all of Chicago." 😆 That was a relief to hear…but nothing compared to what he said next: 5000 to 5500 FUEs in a single session, addressing the hairline, temple peaks, top, and crown! Prior to the consultation, as a result of studying dozens of posts here (seriously, I have a spreadsheet on over 20 of you! Haha) and watching countless Eugenix YouTube videos, I had estimated that I would need 5200 FUEs to achieve the kind of incredible results I have seen here. So, hearing his estimate was very much like being told “Congratulations! You just wonder the lottery jackpot!”

He also showed me a video of another patient whose hair was very similar to mine in color and texture. I think it was @Bandit90 , but I’m not 100% sure. If I can get a result like Bandit90’s, I will move to Hollywood and get into the movies. 😄

My scalp donor situation must really be dire. Dr Sethi is including 500 chest hairs in that 5500 total. I haven’t seen Eugenix use chest hair very often here on the forum…except for the legendary @Gatsby , of course! 😉 I watched Dr. Arika Bansal’s video about the different types of donor hair and know they prefer to avoid chest hair unless it is absolutely necessary. But my chest hair is very similar to my scalp hair in texture and color and straightness, so it avoids some of the usual pitfalls. But, of course, it’s still only one hair per FUE and transection is still a bigger risk…

SCHEDULING THE PROCEDURE WITH ROLSTON – I decided I want the Premium Package with Dr Priyadarshini Das. After seeing her amazing work on @general-etwan and reading about her kindness and sense of humor when helping @messda (who wasn’t even her patient) when she replaced ONE GRAFT when he lost it, she seems like a fantastic choice for me. While she doesn't have as much experience as the founding doctors, I have complete confidence in her. For me, she is the right balance of skill and affordability. If money were no object, I would probably go with one of the founding doctors because of their greater experience and because my depleted donor area and scars will present some extra challenges. But, again, I have absolutely no reservations about having Dr. Das handle my case.
Today (July 11, 2023) I received a call from Rolston. Great guy. He explained what is involved with scheduling the procedure, what they need me to do and not do before the procedure, the minimum booking cost, the procedure cost, that we can move the date up or back if necessary (I am currently waiting for my passport renewal. Ugh. I would schedule the procedure for next month if I could! I'm ready to get this done! 😉), etc. After the call, he sent me a couple of WhatsApp messages covering much of what we discussed. Despite the fact that I took notes during our call, I really appreciate what he sent.
After my call with Rolston, I contacted my bank to let them know I was about to have a credit card charge (the minimum booking amount) going to India. In the past, the Fraud Prevention system has stopped payment until I clear an international charge, so I thought I'd let them know in advance and sidestep that headache. Rolston sent me a link to use to submit my booking payment. After clicking it and paying, I sent him a screenshot of the payment confirmation so he could see that I had gone through.

And that's where things stand as of now. Currently, I expect to have a procedure with Dr. Priyadarshini Das on Nov 7th, 2023...unless circumstances allow me to get there sooner. 

Dr Sethi photo.jpg

Hello, so you’ll be having a single procedure of approx 5200 grafts for the full coverage ? 

2 hours ago, Shadman said:

Hello, so you’ll be having a single procedure of approx 5200 grafts for the full coverage ? 

That was the original plan (between 5200 and 5500 FUEs in one session to completely fill in the front, temples, top, and crown), but I am looking into altering that plan. I am arranging a call with the medical rep to discuss my new preference of leaving my crown alone to give the oral Finasteride and oral Minoxidil a year to see what they will do. Instead, I want to do the following:

Proposed Harvest from Scalp and Sidelocks: 2500 to address my hairline, temples, and top (with the priority being in that order)
Proposed Harvest from Beard:  3000 to replenish my donor area and fill in my scars

My thinking is this: I would rather have scalp donor hair on the top of my head than beard hair because it will cycle and grow like scalp hair should and because it looks best. I am 100% comfortable with the idea of beard hair in my donor area, however. By "refilling" the donor area with beard hair, I should be able to harvest more scalp hair from there in the future, if necessary. And I might even be able to exchange that future donor scalp hair with more beard hair, since Dr Sethi says I have enough beard hair to "cover all of Chicago." So I might be able to have scalp hair exclusively on the top and crown and still maintain what appears to be a full donor area.

And I might not even need any more procedures after this upcoming one if the meds work well for me.

On 7/26/2023 at 4:35 AM, Odysseus said:

That was the original plan (between 5200 and 5500 FUEs in one session to completely fill in the front, temples, top, and crown), but I am looking into altering that plan. I am arranging a call with the medical rep to discuss my new preference of leaving my crown alone to give the oral Finasteride and oral Minoxidil a year to see what they will do. Instead, I want to do the following:

Proposed Harvest from Scalp and Sidelocks: 2500 to address my hairline, temples, and top (with the priority being in that order)
Proposed Harvest from Beard:  3000 to replenish my donor area and fill in my scars

My thinking is this: I would rather have scalp donor hair on the top of my head than beard hair because it will cycle and grow like scalp hair should and because it looks best. I am 100% comfortable with the idea of beard hair in my donor area, however. By "refilling" the donor area with beard hair, I should be able to harvest more scalp hair from there in the future, if necessary. And I might even be able to exchange that future donor scalp hair with more beard hair, since Dr Sethi says I have enough beard hair to "cover all of Chicago." So I might be able to have scalp hair exclusively on the top and crown and still maintain what appears to be a full donor area.

And I might not even need any more procedures after this upcoming one if the meds work well for me.

Yes, definitely you can go for this alternative plan. I might require donor firming also in the future. But it's been one month since I'm taking oral minoxidil, which should improve my donor. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 5:35 PM, Odysseus said:

I just had a Google Meet with Dr Das and Rolston and we discussed my proposed plan. Right now it seems like the best plan is the original one. The main reason for this is that Dr Das is concerned that I might not have the option for a later crown procedure if I have used those 3000 beard grafts in my donor area. After my in-person consultation, I was under the impression that I might have enough beard hair to address both donor and crown. That may or may not be the case. Dr Das will have a clearer picture of what she has to work with when she can examine me in person under the microscope. If it turns out I have sufficient beard hair to replenish my donor area in a later procedure, I will do so.

As I told Dr Das on the call, I trust her expertise way more than I trust my guesses. 😉

5 hours ago, Odysseus said:

I just had a Google Meet with Dr Das and Rolston and we discussed my proposed plan. Right now it seems like the best plan is the original one. The main reason for this is that Dr Das is concerned that I might not have the option for a later crown procedure if I have used those 3000 beard grafts in my donor area. After my in-person consultation, I was under the impression that I might have enough beard hair to address both donor and crown. That may or may not be the case. Dr Das will have a clearer picture of what she has to work with when she can examine me in person under the microscope. If it turns out I have sufficient beard hair to replenish my donor area in a later procedure, I will do so.

As I told Dr Das on the call, I trust her expertise way more than I trust my guesses. 😉

Yes, it would be a better idea if you use the original plan and after the full coverage you can still have an option for the donor firming. Moreover, if you start oral minoxidil (after the consultation with doctor) you might not require donor firming also. It will strengthen your donor. I wish you all the best for your procedure. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure no one is waiting with bated breathed for any of these pre-procedure updates, but my plan for this thread is to track my entire experience so that others get as many answers as possible to their "What happens if/when...?" questions. So...

...I have postponed my Nov 7th, 2023 procedure. I hated to do it, but I think it is for the best. I started taking oral finasteride and oral minoxidil last month and have seen a lot of shedding since then. I don't want to have a procedure done until all of that settles out. That won't be until February at the soonest, and it would actually be next June if I want to give the meds the full year I have seen recommended. I haven't made a firm decision yet on the new date, but I am leaning towards June. That seems like the wisest thing to do so that Dr. Das can see exactly what she has to deal with. It also lets me see just how far I get with the meds alone.

As for Rolston and Eugenix, they were perfectly fine with my decision. There was no "Are you sure?" sales pressure. They were great. I had already paid the non-refundable downpayment, but that downpayment will just be used toward whichever date I choose in the future.

So that's the latest news.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Odysseus said:

I'm sure no one is waiting with bated breathed for any of these pre-procedure updates, but my plan for this thread is to track my entire experience so that others get as many answers as possible to their "What happens if/when...?" questions. So...

...I have postponed my Nov 7th, 2023 procedure. I hated to do it, but I think it is for the best. I started taking oral finasteride and oral minoxidil last month and have seen a lot of shedding since then. I don't want to have a procedure done until all of that settles out. That won't be until February at the soonest, and it would actually be next June if I want to give the meds the full year I have seen recommended. I haven't made a firm decision yet on the new date, but I am leaning towards June. That seems like the wisest thing to do so that Dr. Das can see exactly what she has to deal with. It also lets me see just how far I get with the meds alone.

As for Rolston and Eugenix, they were perfectly fine with my decision. There was no "Are you sure?" sales pressure. They were great. I had already paid the non-refundable downpayment, but that downpayment will just be used toward whichever date I choose in the future.

So that's the latest news.

This is a very wise decision. 👌

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

WAAAAHOOO! My procedure is booked for March 3rd - 5th! The flights are purchased! The cat has a cat-sitter! 

If you can't tell, I am very, very excited to finally be doing this! 😀👍 The 5th is my birthday and I can't imagine a better gift to myself than taking this huge step to finally putting hair insecurity behind me. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Odysseus said:

WAAAAHOOO! My procedure is booked for March 3rd - 5th! The flights are purchased! The cat has a cat-sitter! 

If you can't tell, I am very, very excited to finally be doing this! 😀👍 The 5th is my birthday and I can't imagine a better gift to myself than taking this huge step to finally putting hair insecurity behind me. 

All the best @Odysseus, you will be in great hands! Please keep updating us.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Odysseus said:

Best wishes👍🏼 looking forward to see your ht journey

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Odysseus said:

All the best..Looking forward to see your hair transplant progress 👍

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dba said:

Very happy for you

What NW are you?

I think I am a Norwood 6A pattern with the equivalent of roughly 1500 transplanted grafts in the hairline/front of my scalp and diffuse thinning in the front, middle, and crown. Photos above. My donor area is pretty picked over, but Dr Sethi seemed confident that I can get at least 5000 grafts from my scalp and beard. We also talked about using 500 from my chest, but I will talk to Dr Das before I decide whether I would rather do that or just wait and see if I can get those 500 (or more) from my scalp and beard by returning in a year as so many others have done.

• Like 1