It hurts! What they don’t tell you

After extensive research, video watching and reviews I gathered the injections will hurt. The rest will be fine and I could even fall asleep. I’ve many tattoos so I was genuinely excited on the day of my opp. Absolutely no nerves. 

is it just me that found it horrific? 

lay on a massage table for 6 hours. My shoulders ached as they were locked into awkward positions. My jaw felt as though is was bruising as it was pressed against the hard cushion. I often got hot, being sat in the same position but not wanting to wriggle around, caused me to feel more flustered. 

the natural bruising of the head and burn of all the local they gave me very much come to the surface in the final hour or two. And with two surgeons picking away at your scalp whilst feeling all of the above; in the knowledge you’ve at least 90 minutes left was mentally, tough. 

I don’t know if I should have just asked for more local throughout and was trying to take on more pain than was necessary? The pinch and sharpness of those jabs to numb you is a straight up 8/9 out of 10. Whilst they only hurt for 4 or 5 seconds, you do have about 30 through the surgery, of which you can feel at least 15 of them good and proper. 

I need a second FUE, and knew this before my appointment. But I’m genuinely considering leaving my bald patch and just having a buzz cut to show off my new hairline without the need to continue. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Were you given any anti-anxiety medication?

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

No, just the local anesthetic at the start and when I asked during the procedure. 

I wasn’t anxious, I was excited before it. 
I was found it surprisingly painful and uncomfortable. 

reviews that people have fallen to sleep baffles me. 

• Like 1

I specifically asked my clinic to give me extra numbing shots and something to help me sleep during the operation., 

waiting is the hardest thing for me. I can’t even wait at the DMV line, without feeling anxious. 
make sure you get something to help you sleep. Put ur trust in the clinic and let them do their job. It’s what you paying them big bucks for. 

I agree 100% HT's are really uncomfortable procedures. Also, maybe I just have a weird natural high tolerance to benzos, but the anti-anxiety meds I've been given have always done nothing basically. 

And then combine that with the 7-10 days post op where you are going to be really sleep-deprived and have to follow all these odd post-op rules, it makes for a pretty uncomfortable and inconvenient time. 

If you are going for surgery 2, I recommend just being completely honest how uncomfortable you were forr surgery #1. Specifically ask for a higher dose of pain and anxiety meds. You are paying a ton of money for surgery, they should be able to accomodate. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Baldylock said:

After extensive research, video watching and reviews I gathered the injections will hurt. The rest will be fine and I could even fall asleep. I’ve many tattoos so I was genuinely excited on the day of my opp. Absolutely no nerves. 

is it just me that found it horrific? 

lay on a massage table for 6 hours. My shoulders ached as they were locked into awkward positions. My jaw felt as though is was bruising as it was pressed against the hard cushion. I often got hot, being sat in the same position but not wanting to wriggle around, caused me to feel more flustered. 

the natural bruising of the head and burn of all the local they gave me very much come to the surface in the final hour or two. And with two surgeons picking away at your scalp whilst feeling all of the above; in the knowledge you’ve at least 90 minutes left was mentally, tough. 

I don’t know if I should have just asked for more local throughout and was trying to take on more pain than was necessary? The pinch and sharpness of those jabs to numb you is a straight up 8/9 out of 10. Whilst they only hurt for 4 or 5 seconds, you do have about 30 through the surgery, of which you can feel at least 15 of them good and proper. 

I need a second FUE, and knew this before my appointment. But I’m genuinely considering leaving my bald patch and just having a buzz cut to show off my new hairline without the need to continue. 

Wow! Sorry to hear about this experience. But not that many people have talked about this like you. Maybe you could have a lot of sensitivity?

What was the clinic? How many grafts? Could you even share your case with pre and post photos?

In my case I caught tonsillitis on the second day of my op and that sucked, I was non stop coughing for about 2/3rd of the time I was there until they gave me a injection to help me relax. Was sick for about a week. Otherwise, the hours of staying on the seat were mildly uncomfortable, nothing worth complaining over, the anesthetic was mildly painful throughout other than the first time where it was moderately painful. And the implantations were the hardest to get through with occasional moderate pain.

Overall though I would give it a 3-4/10 on a painscale for the most part, I was given valium and other drugs which I believe really did a lot and I was able to rest partially throughout the surgery

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Baldylock said:

No, just the local anesthetic at the start and when I asked during the procedure. 

I wasn’t anxious, I was excited before it. 
I was found it surprisingly painful and uncomfortable. 

reviews that people have fallen to sleep baffles me. 

The anti-anxiety pills usually calm you down. Sometimes you even fall asleep, which makes the procedure a lot smoother. I’m shocked you weren’t given any. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Nice replies on here Guys. 

with a mixed bag of extremes but the general consensus is that AntiAx meds or further pain numbing should of been given. 

For the person that asked, here is my before and during and after. 

im on day 3 now. Totally on board with the itching, lack of sleep etc as I was expecting it. The surgery really caught me off guard though as it was made out by so many to be a breeze. I’m covered in tattoos and found them to be less painful an experience for sure. 

D180287B-B3DF-4C44-A0A9-5F71DF5B8E57.jpeg

1C2F6145-7C7C-4EF0-9F5F-EDE80E9D20CF.jpeg

A07B6E19-1656-48D9-9C48-700CC2BEC511.jpeg