1425 grafts | 30yr | NW3 | Concerned at 5 months

On 6/19/2023 at 2:55 PM, BeHappy said:

It looks like your grafts are placed pointing straight up rather than at a frontward angle. Frontal grafts usually need to be placed at a forward angle or else you can get the pluggy, stalky look because the hairs are too thick for the hairline. Natural hairlines are usually very fine hairs in the very front. It's hard to recreate that look with certain hair types. If they were facing forward you would have less of an issue because they fall forward a bit and cover the hairline.

This is the first thing I noticed too, and one of the hallmarks of a poorly done hairline.

On 6/19/2023 at 2:55 PM, BeHappy said:

It looks like your grafts are placed pointing straight up rather than at a frontward angle. Frontal grafts usually need to be placed at a forward angle or else you can get the pluggy, stalky look because the hairs are too thick for the hairline. Natural hairlines are usually very fine hairs in the very front. It's hard to recreate that look with certain hair types. If they were facing forward you would have less of an issue because they fall forward a bit and cover the hairline.

I agree they stick up too much, however it is exaggerated in the pics as I have brushed my hair up for the photo, whereas normally I have my hair resting forward.

I've just been reading through and I'm gutted you're feeling so down to the point where you're wearing a hat. In the interests of just being totally upfront, it's no way near as bad as you think. I know looking in the mirror you think everyone else sees what you see, but they don't. Is it as full as you wanted, no it's not at this point. Could you get a bit more thickness in the next 3-4 months - 100% I would expect there to be some more thickening. If after 12 months, you look back and think that you're still not happy with the thickness, just accept it as a lesson and you can get a touch-up at a different surgeon. I think moving hairlines forward with a relatively low graft number is always going to be tough to get the illusion of density you wanted, but it's in no way a really bad job. You look absolutely fine, you'll continue to look absolutely fine, and in a few months, you can, if you're still not happy, go and get it thickened out elsewhere if needed. Keep your head up, it's no way near as bad as you see it. 

On 6/20/2023 at 6:44 PM, RTC said:

This is the first thing I noticed too, and one of the hallmarks of a poorly done hairline.

Yet the op was performed by two experienced surgeons together (their business where they do one client per day) who are well reviewed and have an extensive website with information, such as hair angles. Even before the op we went over hair angles and they described what my native front line hair angles were, so I am confused, especially as in the photos 10 days post op the angle looks flatter (and denser) than now.

I mean I waited years before moving forward with a HT, I did my research and contacted many surgeons, got a range of quotes and visions etc. I am well clued up on everything. So I'm disheartened at my current state in contrast to others who just jump on a plane to Turkey and pay half the price without any clue and get a greater result.

1 minute ago, DomTransplant said:

I've just been reading through and I'm gutted you're feeling so down to the point where you're wearing a hat. In the interests of just being totally upfront, it's no way near as bad as you think. I know looking in the mirror you think everyone else sees what you see, but they don't. Is it as full as you wanted, no it's not at this point. Could you get a bit more thickness in the next 3-4 months - 100% I would expect there to be some more thickening. If after 12 months, you look back and think that you're still not happy with the thickness, just accept it as a lesson and you can get a touch-up at a different surgeon. I think moving hairlines forward with a relatively low graft number is always going to be tough to get the illusion of density you wanted, but it's in no way a really bad job. You look absolutely fine, you'll continue to look absolutely fine, and in a few months, you can, if you're still not happy, go and get it thickened out elsewhere if needed. Keep your head up, it's no way near as bad as you see it. 

Thanks for the optimism, always appreciated. Just bummed out that I took care in avoiding the situation I now find myself within and feel less secure with nyself than I did pre op. Obviously time to go still though.

I don't think the hairline was lowered (althought density was added to the front central point), just the temples. Me and the surgeons agreed a high and conservative hairline that would mature well would be best route. I got about 10 different estimates from varying clinics all estimating around 1200 to 2000 with 1700 being average.

12 minutes ago, Hairfulthinking said:

Yet the op was performed by two experienced surgeons together (their business where they do one client per day) who are well reviewed and have an extensive website with information, such as hair angles. Even before the op we went over hair angles and they described what my native front line hair angles were, so I am confused, especially as in the photos 10 days post op the angle looks flatter (and denser) than now.

I mean I waited years before moving forward with a HT, I did my research and contacted many surgeons, got a range of quotes and visions etc. I am well clued up on everything. So I'm disheartened at my current state in contrast to others who just jump on a plane to Turkey and pay half the price without any clue and get a greater result.

I am sorry to hear this man. 

5 minutes ago, Hairfulthinking said:

Thanks for the optimism, always appreciated. Just bummed out that I took care in avoiding the situation I now find myself within and feel less secure with nyself than I did pre op. Obviously time to go still though.

I don't think the hairline was lowered (althought density was added to the front central point), just the temples. Me and the surgeons agreed a high and conservative hairline that would mature well would be best route. I got about 10 different estimates from varying clinics all estimating around 1200 to 2000 with 1700 being average.

Oops - my bad on this. I'd missed the first images so fully see what you're saying now. You did everything perfectly and by the book, and the journey isn't over, this is fixable, albeit I know that probably feels a long way away. Did the clinic give you a response on this, have they expressed any interest in resolving this after the 1Y mark with a 500 graft touch up if necessary to build some density free of charge - as their reputation, particularly with your comments, is something they obviously hold themselves on.

On 6/22/2023 at 6:53 PM, Hairfulthinking said:

Brother, me and you are in the same boat right now. Did my homework with all the clinics out there and settled on what I thought would be the best one for me and now I'm finding the results to be extremely underwhelming. Hoping we both turn the corner as there's still technically time for it to theoretically happen...

Will you at some point reveal where you underwent your procedure from?

• 1 month later...

Update - 9 months.

Maybe a little thickening and growth, but IMO, the angles are still too upright - rather than style my hair up, I have to do flatten it down (which is difficult because they are stiffer than the surrounding hair); the density is sparse, and because the angles are upright it over accentuates the unnaturalness as you see through the stems like a thin forest; and I believe the hair line is maybe a little too low with no irregularity - I would've been more happy in hindsight with a higher central point.

Honestly I’m really stressed and believe having a HT has been the single worst decision of my life – a decision I once thought of as an exciting step to being more confident in myself to now being sadly more anxious than ever. It’s crushed my life and takes up all my free thinking time, I no longer hang with friends or date either as I'm fed up with either constantly wearing a hat, or answering questions about what's going on with my head. I also buzzed my head as it just looked awful with long hair.

On the bright side, I spoke to the clinic and have an in-person consultation next month, they have suggested a touch up free of charge as to quote them, ‘they want a result they are proud of and a result their clients are happy with’. We’ve already discussed what this might mean, perhaps adding around 200 more singles in the front, and 400 multis in each temple for an additional 1000 grafts.

However, that doesn't solve the angle of the grafts already placed, I mean looking at everything online, frontal hair regions should be low, around 30 degrees maybe, but my transplanted hair is between seem up to 80 degrees, and while my natural hair does have a high exit angle it is soft and fine therefore flopping immediately forwards. Whereas the implanted hair is rigid with a bend in the opposite direction, so the hair meets like this ‘(())’ and opposed to ‘((((‘.

20220513_175719_edit.thumb.jpg.2b794dbed902a5802e10735d4585da71.jpg Before surgery - high angles but with flop?:

DSC07555edit.jpg.71d308b7f420a02a04d91d89c87ac6a3.jpg and now.

DSC0749edit1.jpg.b39e17033b4c47e10bfc9b8505a34105.jpg

Moreover, because I am so unhappy, I’m unsure if I should find another surgeon or stick with the same clinic; I mean they are caring and empathetic surgeons and clearly want to do right by me, but will another HT with them be more of the same, or is simply more density all I need - I really don't know.

To answer the question I reached out to Dr Bloxham and Dr Feriduni for some external thoughts. Dr Bloxham wrote a thorough reply and was somewhat more positive about the HT, suggesting another 1200 grafts would alleviate a lot of the problems and that the clinic looked like they know what they’re doing and that I shouldn't see it as a repair case, but a touch up. However, Dr Feriduni was more negative, stating that the hair angles are incorrect, the hairline is too low, and that he would have to extract 700 grafts before reworking as he stated I should never had a HT to begin with and that if I contacted him first, he would advise against a HT, however I did reach out to him when in the consultation stage and he suggested 2200 grafts. So I have no idea…

Sorry for the rant, but i would love to hear other people’s thought, especially from those who have had to go through a repair/touch up procedure already. I’m in a pretty deep hole about this.

-

Pics between 8 and 9months.

20230619_093128.thumb.jpg.f77196efc6c0156520029c36440895b3.jpg

20230619_093134.thumb.jpg.889028f014ce8a7ce90d2388d0252bf9.jpg - harsh hairline.

8monthsafter8.thumb.jpg.63eede7db953183010b09be533194fdb.jpg - front central lock bends up and back, whereas natural hair flops forward, meeting together forming a point.

DSC07491.jpg.b902cabf87af7cd925b0f808b4c0d770.jpg

DSC07555.jpg.dc0e1c4202ca219ad98c77e4d16b3e9c.jpg

8monthsafter4.jpg.a00e703db91c93bbbb542ade0c0e7fc9.jpg - high hair angles creating stalky look, almost impossible to style down.

8monthsafter7.thumb.jpg.6752708b1821cb3ec3ea93ea109a929c.jpg

20230702_164505-2edit.jpg.a655bd07a18d609a02bbbd75fb0047c7.jpg 

8monthsafter6.jpg.07072bbf8f320729dd6e915d6e731046.jpg too low, too sparse, too upright.

Edited by Hairfulthinking

3 hours ago, Hairfulthinking said:

Update - 9 months.

Maybe a little thickening and growth, but IMO, the angles are still too upright - rather than style my hair up, I have to do flatten it down (which is difficult because they are stiffer than the surrounding hair); the density is sparse, and because the angles are upright it over accentuates the unnaturalness as you see through the stems like a thin forest; and I believe the hair line is maybe a little too low with no irregularity - I would've been more happy in hindsight with a higher central point.

Honestly I’m really stressed and believe having a HT has been the single worst decision of my life – a decision I once thought of as an exciting step to being more confident in myself to now being sadly more anxious than ever. It’s crushed my life and takes up all my free thinking time, I no longer hang with friends or date either as I'm fed up with either constantly wearing a hat, or answering questions about what's going on with my head. I also buzzed my head as it just looked awful with long hair.

On the bright side, I spoke to the clinic and have an in-person consultation next month, they have suggested a touch up free of charge as to quote them, ‘they want a result they are proud of and a result their clients are happy with’. We’ve already discussed what this might mean, perhaps adding around 200 more singles in the front, and 400 multis in each temple for an additional 1000 grafts.

However, that doesn't solve the angle of the grafts already placed, I mean looking at everything online, frontal hair regions should be low, around 30 degrees maybe, but my transplanted hair is between seem up to 80 degrees, and while my natural hair does have a high exit angle it is soft and fine therefore flopping immediately forwards. Whereas the implanted hair is rigid with a bend in the opposite direction, so the hair meets like this ‘(())’ and opposed to ‘((((‘.

20220513_175719_edit.thumb.jpg.2b794dbed902a5802e10735d4585da71.jpg Before surgery - high angles but with flop?:

Moreover, because I am so unhappy, I’m unsure if I should find another surgeon or stick with the same clinic; I mean they are caring and empathetic surgeons and clearly want to do right by me, but will another HT with them be more of the same, or is simply more density all I need - I really don't know.

To answer the question I reached out to Dr Bloxham and Dr Feriduni for some external thoughts. Dr Bloxham wrote a thorough reply and was somewhat more positive about the HT, suggesting another 1200 grafts would alleviate a lot of the problems and that the clinic looked like they know what they’re doing and that I shouldn't see it as a repair case, but a touch up. However, Dr Feriduni was more negative, stating that the hair angles are incorrect, the hairline is too low, and that he would have to extract 700 grafts before reworking as he stated I should never had a HT to begin with and that if I contacted him first, he would advise against a HT, however I did reach out to him when in the consultation stage and he suggested 2200 grafts. So I have no idea…

Sorry for the rant, but i would love to hear other people’s thought, especially from those who have had to go through a repair/touch up procedure already. I’m in a pretty deep hole about this.

-

20230619_093134.thumb.jpg.889028f014ce8a7ce90d2388d0252bf9.jpg - harsh hairline.

8monthsafter8.thumb.jpg.63eede7db953183010b09be533194fdb.jpg - front central lock bends up and back, whereas natural hair flops forward, meeting together forming a point.

8monthsafter4.jpg.a00e703db91c93bbbb542ade0c0e7fc9.jpg - high hair angles creating stalky look, almost impossible to style down.

8monthsafter6.jpg.07072bbf8f320729dd6e915d6e731046.jpg too low, too sparse, too upright.

Dr. Feriduni is an excellent surgeon so I would trust his evaluation. Dr. Bloxham is a lot less experienced than Dr. Feriduni and only does FUT which is a bad idea for a repair. I would also reach out to Dr. Bisanga who is very good at repairs. The worst thing you can do is go back to the same clinic that botched you. 

5 hours ago, Hairfulthinking said:

Update - 9 months.

-

Why are you so depressed just see your  pictures they are  looking so much better (the pic between 8 and 9 months). Why did you buzz your hair out? Just to expose your Hair Transplant?

Avoid stressing out so much, Your Hair Transplant is no where botched it just need some refinement. 

Confusing statement from Dr. Ferudini, during consultation he is saying you need 2000+ grafts and now he is saying you just never need a HT

My advice, please consult some more doctors and avoid your previous HT clinic. 

Edited by Rawkerboi

On 6/24/2023 at 5:48 AM, Balding Bad said:

Brother, me and you are in the same boat right now. Did my homework with all the clinics out there and settled on what I thought would be the best one for me and now I'm finding the results to be extremely underwhelming. Hoping we both turn the corner as there's still technically time for it to theoretically happen...

Will you at some point reveal where you underwent your procedure from?

I don't know if I will reveal it, but how is yours now? Are you happy with your situation?

On 8/12/2023 at 2:06 AM, Tiger2050 said:

Dr. Feriduni is an excellent surgeon so I would trust his evaluation. Dr. Bloxham is a lot less experienced than Dr. Feriduni and only does FUT which is a bad idea for a repair. I would also reach out to Dr. Bisanga who is very good at repairs. The worst thing you can do is go back to the same clinic that botched you. 

I contacted Dr. Bisanga, but the clinic suggested to reach out after the initial 12 months as I am still in the care of my current clinic and still have months to go, moreover they need to see 'repairs' in person as opposed to just pictures via email apparently.

On 8/12/2023 at 4:11 AM, Rawkerboi said:

Why are you so depressed just see your  pictures they are  looking so much better (the pic between 8 and 9 months). Why did you buzz your hair out? Just to expose your Hair Transplant?

Avoid stressing out so much, Your Hair Transplant is no where botched it just need some refinement. 

Confusing statement from Dr. Ferudini, during consultation he is saying you need 2000+ grafts and now he is saying you just never need a HT

My advice, please consult some more doctors and avoid your previous HT clinic. 

I buzzed it because I was finding it difficult to style, if my hair was up, it was apparent how unnatural and sparse it looked, and when I styled it down, over the course of the day the hairs lifted back up - so I just buzzed to give my mind a break. However, since my update a few days ago - and I hope others find this helpful - a female friend suggested leaving in a deep conditioner mask for 20 mins before rinsing out and then gently drying down and forwards with a hair dryer, in addition with using a small amount of hair oil at night before bed; and over the last few days there is a big difference in how my hair sits. The conditioner mask has made my hair far softer than normal conditioner allowing it to dry in more natural position:

Before (no product, just how the transplanted hair naturally sit):

20230811_092215.thumb.jpg.17b97f3ee1e8ee67056931f71df9c934.jpg

20230811_092217.thumb.jpg.08587956052e628d54043e0b96a399ec.jpg

Now 

20230810_163942.jpg.23f7add7f7a66cce3dab61801c9a1835.jpg

20230810_163524.thumb.jpg.269aeafa4f1d9038e9ff7981b317ba1b.jpg

I plan to consult a more doctors, but I am noticing the opinions on my current HT are wildly different leaving me quite confused - especially Dr Feriduni as previously mentioned. I plan to still go to the in person consultation with my current clinic next month and see what they have to say while arming myself with questions and thoughts gathered from other surgeons and fellow patients. 

• Like 1

In @MazAB thread he recommended Slick Gorilla styling power and it's been great for taming my transplanted hairs that stick up a bit. May be worth looking in to. I'm 9 months out from my HT so I'm hoping they continue to "tame themselves" over time to look more like my native hair. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 5:41 AM, Hairfulthinking said:

Update - 9 months.

-

for what its worth, heres my relatively newbie opinion:

- was the hairline lowered lower than the existing hair? from what i've seen, when you do this it often looks sparser. it looks like yours was
- the hairline itself, in my view, actually looks like a pretty good design
- i think what doesn't look good is the sparseness, which it sounds like a 2nd HT would help that. also, you've got different hair styles that make it look better. shaving it at different lengths etc. maybe a close shave would actually look the best at this point? that or growing it out more medium-lengh potentially?
- another thing to consider is that gray hair is way better at looking more natural and thicker. so when you get older and start going gray, it will look way better. although that could take awhile, so i'd understand wanting to get a 2nd HT in the meantime for sure. i wouldn't go any lower with the hairline, just density.

12 hours ago, Hairfulthinking said:

I buzzed it because I was finding it difficult to style, if my hair was up, it was apparent how unnatural and sparse it looked, and when I styled it down, over the course of the day the hairs lifted back up - so I just buzzed to give my mind a break. However, since my update a few days ago - and I hope others find this helpful - a female friend suggested leaving in a deep conditioner mask for 20 mins before rinsing out and then gently drying down and forwards with a hair dryer, in addition with using a small amount of hair oil at night before bed; and over the last few days there is a big difference in how my hair sits. The conditioner mask has made my hair far softer than normal conditioner allowing it to dry in more natural position:

Now 

I plan to consult a more doctors, but I am noticing the opinions on my current HT are wildly different leaving me quite confused - especially Dr Feriduni as previously mentioned. I plan to still go to the in person consultation with my current clinic next month and see what they have to say while arming myself with questions and thoughts gathered from other surgeons and fellow patients. 

that looks pretty good. from what i've read here too, over time the transplanted hair takes on more qualities of the native hair also.

5 hours ago, mark91 said:

for what its worth, heres my relatively newbie opinion:

- was the hairline lowered lower than the existing hair? from what i've seen, when you do this it often looks sparser. it looks like yours was
- the hairline itself, in my view, actually looks like a pretty good design
- i think what doesn't look good is the sparseness, which it sounds like a 2nd HT would help that. also, you've got different hair styles that make it look better. shaving it at different lengths etc. maybe a close shave would actually look the best at this point? that or growing it out more medium-lengh potentially?
- another thing to consider is that gray hair is way better at looking more natural and thicker. so when you get older and start going gray, it will look way better. although that could take awhile, so i'd understand wanting to get a 2nd HT in the meantime for sure. i wouldn't go any lower with the hairline, just density.

Thanks, it's worth a lot and I hope others can learn from my issues. If you look at the first post there is a photo of how they drew the hairline. We did not plan to lower it agreeing a conservative approach - and that was something the surgeons were really firm on. Now 9 months later I do feel the hairline could be a touch higher.

On 8/15/2023 at 10:35 AM, Hairfulthinking said:

I don't know if I will reveal it, but how is yours now? Are you happy with your situation?

Gotcha. Is there a particular reason you're guarded about revealing your clinic?

Can't say I'm happy about my situation. I've more or less accepted the end result likely won't turn out in a way I find satisfactory. I'll post an update later this week on my thread so be on the lookout if you're interested.

On 8/15/2023 at 10:57 AM, Hairfulthinking said:

Now 

Nice! The conditioner definitely improves to overall aesthetics of the frontal hairline, but overall I can see why you'd be unhappy with your current results.

I'm thinking it's possible that the technicians maybe didn't place the grafts according to plan. Maybe it's more of the technicians failure to follow directions from Dr. Bloxham. I doubt it though because his clinic uses experienced techs under close supervision supposedly. Have you noticed anything strange or eccentric about the techs behavior during your procedure?

• Valued Contributor

I have to be honest. I would really wait the full 10 to 12 months and grow you hair out a little bit. I understand your concerns and what you are saying and in a couple of pics I hear you however hair transplants are about illusion and with styling I really believe that this will be a good result.

19 hours ago, Balding Bad said:

Gotcha. Is there a particular reason you're guarded about revealing your clinic?

Can't say I'm happy about my situation. I've more or less accepted the end result likely won't turn out in a way I find satisfactory. I'll post an update later this week on my thread so be on the lookout if you're interested.

I just think its the right thing to do rather than be too hasty with naming and shaming. Especially considering that while I am critical of the result currently, I am aware there is still time to go and they have said they are willing to do a touch up.

Okay, I will be sure to take a look.

3 hours ago, GibGob said:

I'm thinking it's possible that the technicians maybe didn't place the grafts according to plan. Maybe it's more of the technicians failure to follow directions from Dr. Bloxham. I doubt it though because his clinic uses experienced techs under close supervision supposedly. Have you noticed anything strange or eccentric about the techs behavior during your procedure?

Dr Bloxham did not do this, I simply reached out to him for external advice. My Ht was done by another clinic, and as far as I'm aware the two surgeons who own the clinic and done the surgery placed the grafts in themselves working on one side each.

On 8/17/2023 at 6:32 AM, Hairfulthinking said:

I just think its the right thing to do rather than be too hasty with naming and shaming. Especially considering that while I am critical of the result currently, I am aware there is still time to go and they have said they are willing to do a touch up.

Okay, I will be sure to take a look.

I think you're being presumptuous in thinking that naming the clinic you went to will automatically mean you are outing them for shaming purposes. That's only the case if you intend on that being the motive, but you're obviously free to withhold that info if you want.