PRP without HT: what's your story?

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, but I've been browsing the past couple of days, mostly to read up on other people's stories and experiences with different treatments. I have a consultation upcoming for a possible PRP treatment, and as is the norm, I'm anxiously ruminating on it. I've seen a lot of amazing results on here, but most of them seemed to be PRP paired with hair transplants, and I was hoping if anyone had success without a transplant, could you share it? I've done some research on what hair miniaturization looks like, and when I stand under a light in the mirror, I can see tiny, short hairs all across my upper brow and scalp where I've lost my hairline. I think miniaturization is what I'm dealing with, which suggests HT may not be necessary for me.

Edit: A consultation will reveal what I actually need, I just want to assuage my anxieties a bit.

If you suffer from androgenic alopecia, PRP will do nothing apart from swallow money from your bank account, and hurt your head with multiple injection sites. 

To tackle the problem in the most effective manner, you need to address the root cause and find some form of regime that reduces the amount of androgenic activity occurring on your scalp - the most proven and researched of which, would be in the form of oral 5AR inhibitors. 

If you feel comfortable in doing so, posting pictures will help people direct you down the most beneficial route for yourself. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Curious25 said:

If you suffer from androgenic alopecia, PRP will do nothing apart from swallow money from your bank account, and hurt your head with multiple injection sites. 

To tackle the problem in the most effective manner, you need to address the root cause and find some form of regime that reduces the amount of androgenic activity occurring on your scalp - the most proven and researched of which, would be in the form of oral 5AR inhibitors. 

If you feel comfortable in doing so, posting pictures will help people direct you down the most beneficial route for yourself. 

Is there any data on PRP?

I am planning to try it out.  My family doctor seems to think it works (but I assume that's based on their anecdotal experience and not some whitepaper with clinical trials). 

1 hour ago, Mike10 said:

Hi, I am doing it since 6 years as a standalone treatment

The average person won’t be able to afford the number of treatments required to see results from prp. On top of that the cost benefit ratio of prp is very low compared to hair transplant, finasteride, minoxidil. 
on top of that the industry has a lot of hacks that want to make a quick buck.

all this results in patients labeling prp “snake oil” but in reality it is a treatment that works, if you can afford it. 

4 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

The average person won’t be able to afford the number of treatments required to see results from prp. On top of that the cost benefit ratio of prp is very low compared to hair transplant, finasteride, minoxidil. 
on top of that the industry has a lot of hacks that want to make a quick buck.

all this results in patients labeling prp “snake oil” but in reality it is a treatment that works, if you can afford it. 

Well, if (for whatever reason) a person cannot take Finasteride then you could reallocate those costs toward PRP...which would then be a wash in terms of costs.  

28 minutes ago, Bucky O Hair said:

Well, if (for whatever reason) a person cannot take Finasteride then you could reallocate those costs toward PRP...which would then be a wash in terms of costs.  

Prp is infinitely more expensive than finasteride and no where as effective as finasteride. So not sure the point you are making.

Just now, shiba1985 said:

Prp is infinitely more expensive than finasteride and no where as effective as finasteride. So not sure the point you are making.

1 session of prp = life time supply of finasteride tablets if based on cost solely

Edited by shiba1985

Save your money!

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

@remyhendrix,

To be completely frank, only hair transplant surgery is proven to grow hair in completely bald areas. All of the non-surgical solutions are way better at helping someone keep their existing hair or potentially thicken hair that is already in the miniaturization process.

Now, if you had asked if hair transplant surgery alone apart from PRP is just as effective, I would say yes. Hair transplant surgery is a standalone surgical procedure that can restore hair to thinning and bald areas. But it does nothing to stop the progression of male pattern baldness. PRP is often coupled with hair transplant surgery to help men keep their existing natural hair and to aid the healing process 

The best line of defense nonsurgically against further hair loss is finasteride coupled with minoxidil. PRP can be used as a supplemental treatment or even a standalone but isn’t going to do much by itself.

I suggest posting some photos of your hair and provide some details such as your age, whether or not you’re on any non-surgical treatments, if so for how long and whether they are affective or not, family history of hair loss, etc. That will give us more information to be able to provide you with more specifics.

But generally speaking, non-surgical solutions are way better at slowing down, stopping or even reversing some of the effects of androgenetic alopecia but only hair transplant surgery is proven to grow hair in completely bald areas.

I hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.