Signs of a hair transplant

Just curious what you consider to be the signs someone has had a hair transplant that even good surgeons can’t avoid? I’m not talking about obvious pluggy grafts, big scars, multi-storey in the hairline, and other mistakes. But things that are unavoidable even with the best of transplants. It’s never absolutely 100% natural after all. Sometimes I’ll see someone and think “He’s had an HT. good one though”

To me signs include whenever I see hair that is relatively coarse, but sparse. Another sign is high hairlines that have high density and regularity.

• Administrators

Scarring is something no one can avoid. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I can’t spot a good HT, but after having mine and being on this forum, I see men who look like they’re going bald and think “Aw mate, there’s so much you could do with that hair and a few thousand pounds’ 😂

Edited by Marko7t4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On the forums I have seen numerous patients who are over the moon and 10/10 level of satisfaction, but the transplant hair does not look like the rest of the native hair on the scalp.

Ex. If someone has a coarse or curly hairline/frontal region, but the rest of the scalp hair is straight and tame, to me that is a sign of a HT

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ciaus said:

The ones where the temple points and closure angles on the sides continue to thin out and recede, while the top persists with the strong definition and density from the HT

The lesson is to stay vigilant my friends, because I'm out there in the crowd doing inspections! How many guys get that one and thinking-their-done while the sides of their heads keep marching backwards? :D

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Henry said:

Since researching a lot about HT's, I just assume every older man (30s or 40s) with a perfectly nice hairline has had a hair transplant. Just to make myself better. 

Same but everyone with worse hair than me makes me feel better too

28 minutes ago, deeznuts said:

Thats evil.. I'm not quite at that level. Lol.. i feel bad for people with worse hair than me because i know what it feels like to lose hair.

I would say angulation. And with short hair how the angulation, tilt and directions changes from each part. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

Is it very difficult to emulate nature with the angulation?

It's not difficult if you keep in mind that the angulation can be affected by the size/depth of the incision and the scarring tissue that it created. But i just said this because i see even some top notch surgeons with bad angulation on the result they post themselves on their own website. Not trying to be a cunt though.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DrMunibAhmad said:

It's not difficult if you keep in mind that the angulation can be affected by the size/depth of the incision and the scarring tissue that it created. But i just said this because i see even some top notch surgeons with bad angulation on the result they post themselves on their own website. Not trying to be a cunt though.

I appreciate you telling it like it is 

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 2/9/2023 at 1:13 AM, deeznuts said:

I can't find anyone with worse hair than me. 😔

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 2/9/2023 at 12:31 PM, DrMunibAhmad said:

I’m curious which surgeons - excluding yourself - are your favorite with respect to creating natural angulations? 

While we have come a long way and there have been many improvements to make the results look more natural, it's still not possible to achieve a 100% natural look. There are few things you can look to notice a hair transplant:

Coarse but sparse hair: Hair transplanted hair follicles are different in thickness or density from the existing hair in the recipient area

High hairline with regularity and density: High hairline that looks unnaturally symmetrical and has high density

Inconsistent hair growth patterns: Changes in the direction or angle of hair growth

Scarring: I think it is pretty self-explanatory.

Density difference between transplanted and non-transplanted areas: Noticeable difference between transplanted and non-transplanted areas

Unnatural hairline: Hairline looks unnaturally straight or has a sudden change in direction

• Like 1