Temporal peaks design

7 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

Your hairline shape is very interesting here. How I'd describe it is the frontotemporal junction is the most anterior part of the temporal hairline. In other words, the top corner is actually in front of the temple point itself. It is rare, some would say juvenile. Maybe an ethnic variant. But I think this may be what you're getting at 

20230131_135343.jpg

Thank you so much, very enlightening comment. That's the highest quality pic I could find of my hairline before my 20s, I have this other one in side profile but the quality is quite poor:

1915194472_hairlineat19yo2.jpg.a5e91e565289b711fa4be813edcff024.jpg

But yes I never had good temples to being with and noticed it is rare, because most caucasian people I've seen usually have prominent temples when young. High quality side profile pic from last year for comparison:

2030600489_hairlineat30yo3.thumb.jpg.b8bade1eca46b347b29c1a8c8871bfdb.jpg

Since I discovered about this I have a kpop style curtains hairstyle that works nicely covering the lack of temples and giving the illusion of a lower set hairline.

"Mature hairline" is euphemism for balding.

4 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

Black men (American or otherwise ;)) often have this sort of hairline, which can read as juvenile. The temple points are boxy and squarish, with the frontal hairline straight or even slightly curved downwards - which is considered more of a feminine hairline in whites. 

Usually, the midpoint of a man's hairline is the lowest point. In a woman it may be the highest point. Africans sometimes seem to have this sort of curve. 

Native American men tend to have absolutely no male pattern baldness whatsoever. If they are pureblooded. 

Screenshot_20230131-140335_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Yea they usually do have a straight line or sometimes even sometimes the hairline is slightly rounded often times they can have very low set hairlines like this guyScreenshot_20230131-091109_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3bb4bd302a4103423c9bed038f190f91.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NegativeNorwood said:

Thank you so much, very enlightening comment. That's the highest quality pic I could find of my hairline before my 20s, I have this other one in side profile but the quality is quite poor:

But yes I never had good temples to being with and noticed it is rare, because most caucasian people I've seen usually have prominent temples when young. High quality side profile pic from last year for comparison:

Since I discovered about this I have a kpop style curtains hairstyle that works nicely covering the lack of temples and giving the illusion of a lower set hairline.

I'm receding a bit but luckily my temple points always been good hope it stays that way lol

8 minutes ago, NegativeNorwood said:

@Rafael Manelli

Current hairstyle that hides temples and hairline. Koreans certainly know a thing or two about this lmao

IMG-20230130-WA0001_2.thumb.jpeg.38e49430fed1f9825377f795120d5a9c.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Phillyman1996 said:

I'm receding a bit but luckily my temple points always been good hope it stays that way lol

Yeah good temples are definitely a blessing, I hope you keep them forever man

• Like 1

The skull curvature along with fine babyhairs and angles can make it look different in different photos. I tried outlining your young hairline and then recreating it on your newer photo. 

Your forehead already looks small, by the way. The hairline is low. Perhaps it looks wide from the front due to temporal recession? Anyway, I would say the entire temples themselves are quite aggressive for you naturally, not just the "points" or "peaks"

If you wanted to recreate this surgically it would only take a few hundred grafts. Temple points are the biggest bang for your buck graft wise. Because they lie so flat and parallel with the skin, overlapping each other neatly, they create a great coverage, and can look dense with only a small number of grafts. As opposed to the crown, or the very front, which require tons of grafts to look thick due to angles. 

20230131_141531.jpg

20230131_141504.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just out of interest I thought I'd post this guy (pietro boselli) as an example. His hairline is fairly high, but his temple points are super aggressive and spiky looking. This is maybe the opposite of what you're talking about, so a good contrast. 

His temple points are practically anterior to the tail of his eyebrows! 

20190611_192734.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Hi L0ke, 

Do you have any recent examples of temple point restoration by Dr Feriduni you are able to share? 

Agree with OP - your clinics website details temple restoration extremely well. 

Thank you ☺️ 
We have some examples posted on this page:
https://www.feriduni.com/en/news/1281-the-importance-of-temple-points
I will try to find some more examples 👊

L0ke - Representative for Dr. Feriduni

18 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

The skull curvature along with fine babyhairs and angles can make it look different in different photos. I tried outlining your young hairline and then recreating it on your newer photo. 

Your forehead already looks small, by the way. The hairline is low. Perhaps it looks wide from the front due to temporal recession? Anyway, I would say the entire temples themselves are quite aggressive for you naturally, not just the "points" or "peaks"

If you wanted to recreate this surgically it would only take a few hundred grafts. Temple points are the biggest bang for your buck graft wise. Because they lie so flat and parallel with the skin, overlapping each other neatly, they create a great coverage, and can look dense with only a small number of grafts. As opposed to the crown, or the very front, which require tons of grafts to look thick due to angles. 

20230131_141531.jpg

20230131_141504.jpg

Wow thank you much for taking your time and drawing the hairline! Also great explanation about the number of grafts needed, very informative.

I personally would like something slightly more aggresive than the original, like this:

574473732_newhairlineedit_2.thumb.jpg.03b50d7808d9fc0c8fc3566b74142e54.jpg

16 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

Just out of interest I thought I'd post this guy (pietro boselli) as an example. His hairline is fairly high, but his temple points are super aggressive and spiky looking. This is maybe the opposite of what you're talking about, so a good contrast. 

His temple points are practically anterior to the tail of his eyebrows! 

20190611_192734.jpg

Yes, exactly the opposite case as me. He has a extremely prominent temples and a fairly high hairline, and I have a fairly low hairline without temples.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, L0ke said:

An interesting topic, and good to read more on the importance of temporal peaks here 👏
Even though your donor capacity is key, a good hair surgeon will not ignore the temple area because it is an important part in recreating the hairline. 
When it comes to the shape, there is no option A, B or C... recreating the temple points takes so much more than that.
Your personal preference needs to be discussed during a personal consultation with the doctor.
Dr. Feriduni will meticulously measure the dimensions of the patient's face and redesign the whole. 
It is not about density when it comes to this area; the hairs are very fine (mostly single FU). 
To achieve a natural result, Dr. Feriduni respects the natural blending when going deeper in the temple area.
Whether you prefer hard-shaped or more subtle, it is strongly advised to focus on the final appearance of your face.
Keep this in mind and how this naturally should keep matching with your face, also in the future.

Where are these very fine single FU's taken from?  Behind the ears?  Nape? ?

On 2/1/2023 at 2:11 AM, Calihome1 said:

Indeed, mostly from the nape.

On 2/1/2023 at 2:11 AM, Calihome1 said:

• Like 1

L0ke - Representative for Dr. Feriduni

I was watching this very interesting podcast between @Melvin- Moderatorand @Dr. Felipe Pittella:

At 20:38, Dr Pittella says that he followed the natural anatomic pattern of the patient's face and drew lines following both the temple and the patient's nose:

178518295_image(10).thumb.jpg.d25b44a3eb56b5ac8e2aa16a23063380.jpg

This is quite interesting, because explains more in detail what landmarks and reference points are used to design the temples.

My take is, someone that will get more surgeries in addition of a hair transplant (for example, a rhinoplasty), should get the hair transplant after the rhinoplasty, because the adequate temple design will change.

Let's imagine this 2 people were balding and wanted to get a hair transplant with focus on the temple region...the temple design would be different because now they have higher nose bridges and more projected noses. If they get the hair transplant first and the rhinoplasty after, the features won't align correctly:

488647414_asianrhino1.jpg.ee01805034ba795331c353452523c718.jpg

533252835_asianrhino2.jpg.e75c93066cc70604f9702f3ecc262db7.jpg

Conclusion: for optimal aesthetic results, get a hair transplant as your last surgery (in case you plan on getting more surgeries, ofc).

Edited by NegativeNorwood
  • Wow 1

20 hours ago, NegativeNorwood said:

I was watching this very interesting podcast between @Melvin- Moderatorand @Dr. Felipe Pittella:

At 20:38, Dr Pittella says that he followed the natural anatomic pattern of the patient's face and drew lines following both the temple and the patient's nose:

178518295_image(10).thumb.jpg.d25b44a3eb56b5ac8e2aa16a23063380.jpg

This is quite interesting, because explains more in detail what landmarks and reference points are used to design the temples.

My take is, someone that will get more surgeries in addition of a hair transplant (for example, a rhinoplasty), should get the hair transplant after the rhinoplasty, because the adequate temple design will change.

Let's imagine this 2 people were balding and wanted to get a hair transplant with focus on the temple region...the temple design would be different because now they have higher nose bridges and more projected noses. If they get the hair transplant first and the rhinoplasty after, the features won't align correctly:

488647414_asianrhino1.jpg.ee01805034ba795331c353452523c718.jpg

533252835_asianrhino2.jpg.e75c93066cc70604f9702f3ecc262db7.jpg

Conclusion: for optimal aesthetic results, get a hair transplant as your last surgery (in case you plan on getting more surgeries, ofc).

That idea that the temple points should have the same angles as the nose is both fascinating and hilarious to me. How come I haven't noticed it before? I think it must be a rule of thumb. Different docs seem to have different rules for this. Some use the eyebrows for reference. Some use the ears or the canthus. 

I'll certainly be on the lookout for temple-nose discrepancy now.

Ps I love that slogan "a mature hairline is a euphemism for balding", cracked me up. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

That idea that the temple points should have the same angles as the nose is both fascinating and hilarious to me. How come I haven't noticed it before? I think it must be a rule of thumb. Different docs seem to have different rules for this. Some use the eyebrows for reference. Some use the ears or the canthus. 

I'll certainly be on the lookout for temple-nose discrepancy now.

Ps I love that slogan "a mature hairline is a euphemism for balding", cracked me up. 

I completely agree, it caught me off guard completely and if you think about it is quite obvious, I face palmed myself after seeing that haha.

Front face wise, is said in literature that the ideal width of the temples (bitemporal) should be around 85-90% of the width of the cheekbones (bizygomatic):

1198495176_bitemporal.jpg.3997297e68c5e03adc1ed9be57405cd7.jpg

Now look at this cheekbone reduction case. If he posted the before picture here, people would tell him he has a too narrow, low set hairline that doesn't match his age. The truth is, his cheekbones were too wide for his face, and once altered to a normal width, we can see his hairline actually suits him perfectly:

1878213359_cheekbonereduction.jpg.e36aab63b52654c4a79bc55a6f5dccab.jpg

I'm glad you liked the slogan, "mature hairline" makes no sense tbh haha. I think after this we can coin another one:

"Hair transplants are not just about hair" (and a link to this thread haha)

Edited by NegativeNorwood
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Calihome1 said:

I liked how he decided to implement a more round design due to the type of hair.  Didn’t know doctors did that.

True. I also like that he explains why in good detail. I'm tired of reading "temples are designed taking the face into account" without any further explanation.

On 2/5/2023 at 10:17 AM, NegativeNorwood said:

I completely agree, it caught me off guard completely and if you think about it is quite obvious, I face palmed myself after seeing that haha.

Have a look at the vid in your 1st post of the thread.

Dr Sethi refers to the angle of the nose as a reference point.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This is a very interesting conversation. Especially since I have a consultation appointment with Eugenix in less than 48 hours and I'm curious to see whether the doctor thinks I need to build my temporal peaks out or leave them alone.
As I have been looking at various actors and models to determine what I think would work for best me, I was very surprised to see that Chris Evans (aka Steve Rogers aka Captain America) somehow manages to look great despite the fact that he has no temporal peaks at all! Granted, he's wearing a hairpiece for the role, but that isn't really relevant to the fact that he looks good despite the fact that his hair is almost a straight line from his sideburns to his scalp. Thoughts?
By the way, I've noticed in the promo images which a graphic artist has had a hand in, they have frequently added more of a temporal peak than he has in the films themselves. 

Temples.jpg

Edited by Odysseus

1 hour ago, Odysseus said:

I was very surprised to see that Chris Evans (aka Steve Rogers aka Captain America) somehow manages to look great despite the fact that he has no temporal peaks at all! Granted, he's wearing a hairpiece for the role, but that isn't really relevant to the fact that he looks good despite the fact that his hair is almost a straight line from his sideburns to his scalp. Thoughts?

Temples.jpg

And this guy has no temporal peaks and doesn't look great. 

spacer.png

So generally Captain America looks good despite his mediocre hair(Norwood 2) withouth temple points. His jawline is as sharp as the base of the pyramid of Cheops at Giza. Hallo effect.

18 minutes ago, GeneralNorwood said:

spacer.png

So generally Captain America looks good despite his mediocre hair(Norwood 2) withouth temple points. His jawline is as sharp as the base of the pyramid of Cheops at Giza. Hallo effect.

Should I get my temple peaks done?

Screenshot_20230706-110031.png

3 hours ago, GeneralNorwood said:

spacer.png

That argument suggests temple points are only important if a guy isn't attractive - and, in the case of the photo you posted, if he has a terrible haircut and a goofy look on his face. Another person could just as easily post a photo of an unattractive guy with a terrible haircut and a goofy look on his face with temple points as an example of how unimportant temple points are. 😉

I think Evans demonstrates that temple points are a great touch (the graphic artists even add them to his photos, sharp jawline notwithstanding), but they're not absolutely necessary to look great. I'm sure that's welcome news to guys who don't have the donor hair to get them.