5.5month after HT, 3500grafts planted, no visible growth at this point. Failed HT?

dsq83

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, thus, need to research more on this one, so, please, don't judge me wrong. Im almost on my month 6 now, taking Fin and topical Min (once before bed), multi vitamins and biotin everyday, doing sports, however drink once in a week or two and smoke from time to time. I haven't cut my hair since HT, so the length of my original grown hair in my opinion are just covering the bald spots. My doc says it starts to grow month 6-7 and complete result comest at 1-1.5 years. Considering so many posts of other people, who underwent the above mentioned procedure, at the moment I don't see any new hair growth, if comparing first pre-op picture and recent picture with longer hair:((( the first pic is pre-op, second is month 3, third - next day after the surgery and the rest 3 pictures are 5.5 month. Do you think it can be considered. as a failed HT? Im a bit upset, so please, share your opinion. will be very grateful.
P.S. 3500grafts, Estetik hair Antaly, HT on 17th July 2022

KakaoTalk_Photo_2023-01-05-14-48-34.jpeg

KakaoTalk_Photo_2023-01-05-10-05-31 023.jpeg

KakaoTalk_Photo_2023-01-05-10-05-31 021.jpeg

KakaoTalk_Photo_2023-01-05-10-05-31 025.jpeg

KakaoTalk_Photo_2023-01-05-10-05-31 024.jpeg

KakaoTalk_Photo_2023-01-05-10-05-31 022.jpeg

• Sad 2

Yeah, your gut instincts are true. That certainly looks less than ideal since you're almost at 6 months now. In my opinion a large number of grafts have probably failed to grow. You may experience new growth in the coming months, but for you to be happy with the result you'll need drastic improvement (say, 300% boost in growth rate) in the next couple of months.

When I had my HT, months 4, 5 and 6 saw 90-100% of the implanted grafts grow in. There are occasional late bloomers, but there must be some signs of growth. Please do not panic yet, make sure to document your progress well and remember, nothing is worth spoiling your mental health over.

Edited by Captain Haddock
  • Like 4

Yes, your condition is not optimal 6 months after the transplant, but before consulting other surgeons for a new procedure, consult good dermatologists specialized in trichology, make sure your scalp is healthy, have specific blood tests including functioning of the thyroid, there may be autoimmune diseases that you do not know you have, nor can surgeons see them with the naked eye before or after the procedure.

• Like 1

• Administrators

5.5 months is too soon to judge a result. No two people are the same, just because one person grows 90% by 5 months doesn’t mean everyone will. Growth rates vary widely, as do results. I think it’s fair to be concerned, but to soon to call it a failure.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

17 hours ago, Captain Haddock said:

Yeah, your gut instincts are true. That certainly looks less than ideal since you're almost at 6 months now. In my opinion a large number of grafts have probably failed to grow. You may experience new growth in the coming months, but for you to be happy with the result you'll need drastic improvement (say, 300% boost in growth rate) in the next couple of months.

When I had my HT, months 4, 5 and 6 saw 90-100% of the implanted grafts grow in. There are occasional late bloomers, but there must be some signs of growth. Please do not panic yet, make sure to document your progress well and remember, nothing is worth spoiling your mental health over.

thanks everyone! I did contact some clinics in Turkey with the same question, they said like wise, it's too quick to judge and told me to come back at month 9 to see what should be done next.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@vosvos hello buddy, well, hair got longer, I started to see some result after month 7. I wouldnt say it's perfect or super dense but its covering up pretty well, for sure need to make the 2 HT. please check the pics 

KakaoTalk_Photo_2023-03-27-20-25-21 001.jpeg

KakaoTalk_Photo_2023-03-27-20-25-33.jpeg

KakaoTalk_Photo_2023-03-27-20-25-21 004.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
  • Well Done 1

56 minutes ago, dsq83 said:

@vosvos hello buddy, well, hair got longer, I started to see some result after month 7. I wouldnt say it's perfect or super dense but its covering up pretty well, for sure need to make the 2 HT. please check the pics 

The changes are obvious! Thanks for such a quick reply. Do you really think you will need a second procedure? If so, how many more grafts will be needed?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ITA said:

It looks very good, I would not have bet on it when I saw the pics at 5.5 months, I'm glad I was wrong.

well im sure under dire t light won't look so good, also longer hair makes it looks great, gonna cut some and see how it looks, however, after checkin pics before 5.5month I got super disappointed...well hope all of us won't lose hairdo)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vosvos said:

The changes are obvious! Thanks for such a quick reply. Do you really think you will need a second procedure? If so, how many more grafts will be needed?

thx mate, well also longer hair makes it looks better, well, I would defo add some density but I don't know how much more grafts can I take from my hair, I would love to add up 3000 but im nt a doctor)

there are cases where 5500 grafts are transplanted. So, I don't know if it would be possible to transplant another 3k. but 2k would probably do. But the most important thing is that the result is already good, and the improvement process has not yet finished and is still going on. Please share the results after a while, it will be interesting to watch!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dsq83 said:

Hi, wow what a difference over that period of time. I posted yesterday for the first time as I am as concerned as you were back at the time of your initial post. Feel free to view. 

anyway please can you advise what brand of multi vitamins you use please - I need to start on these to see if it helps? 

great progress btw and well done!!!

Just now, KevW said:

Hi, wow what a difference over that period of time. I posted yesterday for the first time as I am as concerned as you were back at the time of your initial post. Feel free to view. 

anyway please can you advise what brand of multi vitamins you use please - I need to start on these to see if it helps? 

great progress btw and well done!!!

well I smoked and drank after 2 weeks of my HT^^ not too much tho... as per vitamins hmmm I always used or Optimen or Vitamin Code, Omega 3 and now taking Biotin 10000 also use Biotin shampoo...not sure if that works, but good luck to u mate

Yet another example as to why 5-6 months is not an end result, everyone has different time frame for hair to start growing. During my 5 month i was also  concerned for my midscalp & crown, then after month 7 it started to take off and still growing.  So if anyone reading this , be patient, it will grow. 

• Like 3

On 1/6/2023 at 4:49 AM, Henry said:

What's the name of your doctor? It looks like he failed this surgery completely. 

Look at this idiot judging results after just 5.5 months, oh wait, thats me. Lol. Anyway, what a turnaround! I hope you're happy.

• Haha 3