How to avoid touching grafts when sleeping?

Vortex

Rope to tie hands together? Cotton mits? Would be great to get some input on this. I haven’t had my surgery yet but need to make sure I have a concrete way to ensure the recipient remains untouched whilst I’m asleep.

I remember Melvin recommending a surgical cap or something like that.

I scratch my head all the time in my sleep, from my experience when I had the HT I didn’t scratch in my sleep until the three week mark when the itching started to get bad. I scratched until there was a bit of blood.

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

1 hour ago, mister_25 said:

I remember Melvin recommending a surgical cap or something like that.

I scratch my head all the time in my sleep, from my experience when I had the HT I didn’t scratch in my sleep until the three week mark when the itching started to get bad. I scratched until there was a bit of blood.

Ah ok will look into it. I feel like sleeping is gonna be the most stressful part of the whole procedure haha, just don’t wana accidentally rub it whilst I’m asleep

• Like 1

• Administrators

Yea sleep with a cap on, no need to tie your hands together. 

image.jpeg

• Haha 4

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I was paranoid about this, after my first night I realized this fear was pointless, there's no way I was gonna touch myself and didnt care about it and never had a problem since.

The human brain is somewhat smart at not touching wounds while sleeping which makes sense... imagine our ancestors scratching open wounds with dirty hands while sleeping... not too efficient... they would get infections and die very often 😅.

9 hours ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

I was paranoid about this, after my first night I realized this fear was pointless, there's no way I was gonna touch myself and didnt care about it and never had a problem since.

The human brain is somewhat smart at not touching wounds while sleeping which makes sense... imagine our ancestors scratching open wounds with dirty hands while sleeping... not too efficient... they would get infections and die very often 😅.

Well that’s encouraging! Tbh, I’m not sure if people rubbing/scratching freshly implanted grafts is something that happens often, but I guess it could. Just don’t wanna take any chances haha

On 1/1/2023 at 1:43 PM, WhereIsMyMind said:

Personally I have more issues with my conscious form and trying to battle the urge to pick an itchy scalp spot 😅

Haha I can imagine it’s a struggle. Definitely gonna have to be super disciplined when my time comes

• 2 months later...

Had a recent HT. Subconsciously I went to and did scratch an itch on my head in the recipient area (day 1 after) whilst working on my PC in the hotel. Stopped myself as it touched the head in realisation but not before I dislodged a graft (which the clinic fixed that evening). 

Solution (as suggested to me by another forum member I met in the hotel lobby also travelling for a HT) - use a bath robe with the rope around back, to tie each arm down to degree. Worked a charm! There was enough slack to do everything i needed to do, including working on a laptop, but not enough reach to go for your head without it pulling and you realising. 

Its not so restricted you couldn't touch your head, but you'd have to move your other alarm intentionally to do it. I also wore it sleeping first few nights to bed (I got worried after my silly day 1 incident), and again  it worked a charm and I wasn't uncomfortable or to restricted.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 9:31 PM, WhereIsMyMind said:

I crushed my fingers into my eyes every night after LASIK.

image.jpeg.c4d24159d0402fb9d51f9fa87bbe0947.jpeg

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

I don't think you'll touch the grafts with this on. 😃

ScreenShot2023-04-06at11_42_35PM.png.687a507cefc56654a435d5ae9c5fab25.png

or this

image.png.be823dd90415000572b0ff7f56e484d5.png

Edited by BeHappy
  • Haha 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 5 weeks later...

Oh this is one of my worries, We who have a habit of moving around during sleep are extra anxious about this :P

I will come up with a solution to this. Otherwise i will be too afraid of getting a ht :D

Haha. I came up with my own method:

I slept very elevated laying on my back, but would cocoon the duvet around my whole body and wrap it under my arms/hands.. so basically my arms wouldn’t be able to move. That way if I did try and squeeze free of the duvet cocoon i’d probably wake myself up lol. I slept like this for weeks and it worked for me 😃 @lunch_owl

Edited by Vortex
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Vortex said:

Haha. I came up with my own method:

I slept very elevated laying on my back, but would cocoon the duvet around my whole body and wrap it under my arms/hands.. so basically my arms wouldn’t be able to move. That way if I did try and squeeze free of the duvet cocoon i’d probably wake myself up lol. I slept like this for weeks and it worked for me 😃 @lunch_owl

I might get a straight jacket 🤣🤣