Finasteride alone not enough?

I was consulting a hair surgeon and I told him im taking 1mg finasteride, he said that it's not enough and that I need to use supportive treatments such as laser therapy and special shampoos to stimulate the hair. How is that a thing? I thought that finasteride theraphy for long term is enough for maintenance of the hair.

Edited by SoSoz

SoSoz,

The truth is, finasteride is probably the most effective non-surgical solution for male pattern baldness. However, it can work even better when it’s being used in conjunction with minoxidil. In terms of laser therapy and others, there’s a lot of controversy surrounding whether these other treatments are affective. Most would agree however, that most of these other treatments are best used as an adjunct along with Ness ride as they do very little if anything by themselves.

Keep in mind also that no non-surgical solution is proven to grow hair in completely bald areas. They are far better at helping someone maintain their existing hair and stopping the progression of male pattern baldness. Only hair transplant surgery can restore hair to completely bald areas

i hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

It basically depends how aggressive is your hair loss. For most people, Fin is enough for mantaining or significantly slowing your hair loss. Very rarely it regrows much, and also rarely, but happens, the hair loss can keep progressing fast.

If your goal is to regrow (and not mantain), I would definetely consider adjunvant treatments, if you just want to mantain/slow progression, I would say just fin is ok.

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, SoSoz said:

I was consulting a hair surgeon and I told him im taking 1mg finasteride, he said that it's not enough and that I need to use supportive treatments such as laser therapy and special shampoos to stimulate the hair. How is that a thing? I thought that finasteride theraphy for long term is enough for maintenance of the hair.

Was this surgeon offering these treatments for you to buy from him/her?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoSoz said:

Saying fin isn't enough but saying you need shampoos and laser hair treatment is hilarious. Fin isn't enough so you should add on something that does nothing! 

Fin could be enough for some guys and isn't enough for others, you'll have to gauge it for you-self. Fortunately, it looks like we're increasingly getting more options to help us. You have topical fin/dut to add on, dut orally if you need something stronger, minoxidil orally or topically, you will have topical AA's like pyrlutamide & GT and even Ru if you're comfortable taking a chem that isn't approved. Soon there will be other things like HMI, Scube, etc etc. Another very interesting compound that's come to our attention recently is PAI-1, being trialed for AGA starting early next year, would encourage everyone to read this article: https://www.tohoku.ac.jp/en/press/amish_live_longer_and_healthier.html

Anyway, start with the basics, fin min nizarol microneedling does well for the majority of guys. Let this be your starter and give it a lot of time to work

8 minutes ago, SoSoz said:

yes

Had a feeling that would be the case.

Minoxidil is a good addition but other than that, you don't need anything else. I've taken about 5 propecia pills and done topical fin/minoxidil combo around 10 or 15 times at most this entire year and my hair is in very good shape. If you have money to burn than you can try other things because why not, but it isn't necessary.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

4 hours ago, SoSoz said:

As your response to Gatsby proved, this person you talked to is using an unscrupulous tactic to try extract more money from you on an upsell. Very scummy of them in some ways.

There is evidence that laser therapy that matches the clinically supported study can help your hair, but Finasteride is the heavy lifter by actually inhibiting DHT production as much as possible. All the rest are not going to give as much of an impact imo. 

If your hair loss doesn't slow enough, then a change to Dutasteride is possible but overall, the only two products imo that are proven to actually be effective are Finasteride and Minoxodil. Things like Microneedling are probably the 3rd best thing to add in your regimen as it's only necessary once a week at 1mm to 1.5mm abd you can then add in Nizoral with 2% ketoconazole too. The benefit of a laser cap at the quality required to what it costs is not going to be worth it imo. You're better off spending money on getting Vitamins you're lacking in your diet, drinking more water etc. 

Glad you were able to get this cleared up before falling for the sales pitch. When I first started losing my hair, I spent soooo much money on special shampoos and shampoos and supplements, naively thinking that they would keep my hairline from receding. Fortunately, I only did this for a couple of years before I ended up finding Dr. Mohebi and getting a hair transplant. (A couple of years of wasted money is better than 10, I suppose. Lol) 

If anything is going to be effective, it's going to be Finasteride and/or Minoxidil. Start with those and hopefully you respond well enough that you're able to stabilize your hair loss. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56