Are hairlines typically more thin that other regions?

I notice this in a lot of photos, where people's hairlines are somewhat see-through at the front, but they don't seem to be suffering any hairloss.

I recently had a transplant, and the front of my hair which was left untouched is see-through in harsh light, but I am unsure if this is thinning or if it's always been like this, as I used to cover the front of my hair prior to the transplant.

Is this a real thing? Or am I simply imagining/over analysing hairlines because of my own issues once again 🥲

Edited by HelpfulFriend

You may be noticing the beginning stages of diffused thinning which is loss of hair caliber.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to without photos, but receding/thinning in the hairline is definitely common. I don't know the statistics, but I would guess that it's more common than thinning just in the crown? As a general rule, anyone thinning in the crown would also have hair loss in the front... Whereas it's definitely common to see people losing hair in the hairline, but with their crown staying in tact. 

That said, even a completely natural, in tact hairline, will be a tad sparse at the front of the hairline - if that's what you're asking about - meaning that it's not natural to have 100% density in the very front of the hairline. (Redesigning this for a HT is what makes the great surgeons great.)

If you'd like to post pictures of your hairline, I'm sure some of us could chime in with whether or not it looks like there's thinning or not... Although, if you just had a hair transplant and they didn't mention it, then I would think that you're fine. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

My premonition is diffusion.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

@HelpfulFriend

I think what you’re ultimately noticing is that natural hairlines aren’t as dense as most people think they are.  Also, the reason why it looks thicker behind the hairline is due to the shingling effect.

For example, a natural hairline is simply made of single haired follicular units. A follicular unit is a group of 1 to 4 hairs as it grows naturally in the scalp. If you consider shingles, each row isn’t exactly parallel with one another.  Instead, if you look directly behind the first row of shingles where 2 shingles meet, you will see the center of another shingle in the second row. Similarly, you can look between two hairs in the hairline and see another hair directly behind them but in between.

This shingling affect combined with hairs overlapping each other when hair is long enough prevents the scalp from showing. Similarly, if one crops their hair down to a one clip using clippers, you can see one scalp through the tiny hairs.  

At the end of the day, natural hair density does vary and re-creating a natural and full look with surgical hair restoration takes skill and experience, placing hairs in a way that mimics nature. That said, since there is a supply and demand issue, most patients with advanced hair loss can’t ever obtain true density so surgeons must strategically place grafts so that it creates an illusion of true density even though density may be 50% or less of one’s true density.  

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 12/1/2022 at 5:28 AM, HelpfulFriend said:

Hey Gil,

These are some pics. One is under harsh lighting (a bright bathroom light above my head), and the other is just in a normal setting.

The red circle is the area that wasn't transplanted into/touched.

Is there a way to determine what is thinning in terms of hair calibre? I.e. actually miniaturising?

PXL_20221201_102256746~2.jpg

PXL_20221110_015510881~3.jpg

PXL_20221124_014102185~3.jpg

Yes my friend, under a scope you can determine the variances of caliber differentials in individual native hair shafts…also take some terminal hair shafts from the primary donor area (occipital zone) and compare the differences in hair shaft diameter between all samples…without a doubt you will notice some native hair that is diffused at various degrees, especially samples that are taken from the area that you have circled in red.

Gillenator

16 hours ago, gillenator said:

Yes my friend, under a scope you can determine the variances of caliber differentials in individual native hair shafts…also take some terminal hair shafts from the primary donor area (occipital zone) and compare the differences in hair shaft diameter between all samples…without a doubt you will notice some native hair that is diffused at various degrees, especially samples that are taken from the area that you have circled in red.

Thanks heaps Gil, so I'd be better off going to a surgeon/dermatologist who could assess it properly?

From a cursory glance, so you have an opinion as to if it looks like recession of that area?

I only ask as I've been on Finasteride and minox for about 7 years, and it's held me at baseline. I'm a bit confused as to why I might all of the sudden be losing ground 

On 12/1/2022 at 10:28 AM, HelpfulFriend said:

Hey Gil,

These are some pics. One is under harsh lighting (a bright bathroom light above my head), and the other is just in a normal setting.

The red circle is the area that wasn't transplanted into/touched.

Is there a way to determine what is thinning in terms of hair calibre? I.e. actually miniaturising?

PXL_20221201_102256746~2.jpg

PXL_20221110_015510881~3.jpg

PXL_20221124_014102185~3.jpg

Hairlines naturally even without hair loss have a "feathered" look that becomes a bit thicker. After the first cm or so, but the "see through" look you're showing is usually indicative of 2 things. Hair loss OR in a hair transplant that's been done, the usual mention of "Illusion of Density" which is exposed under harsher light. Its one of the frustrating things about hair transplants that a single pass will almost never get you to native density and it does have that see through affect moreso than often. 

I guess the risk is with a finite donor, they prefer to err on the side of caution rather than risk low survival but when unlimited hair clones become a thing, i think they'd be much more willing to risk things because customers will pay for it even with the warning of lower survival rates, the risk of losing your finite donor is no longer there. 

23 hours ago, NARMAK said:

Hairlines naturally even without hair loss have a "feathered" look that becomes a bit thicker. After the first cm or so, but the "see through" look you're showing is usually indicative of 2 things. Hair loss OR in a hair transplant that's been done, the usual mention of "Illusion of Density" which is exposed under harsher light. Its one of the frustrating things about hair transplants that a single pass will almost never get you to native density and it does have that see through affect moreso than often. 

I guess the risk is with a finite donor, they prefer to err on the side of caution rather than risk low survival but when unlimited hair clones become a thing, i think they'd be much more willing to risk things because customers will pay for it even with the warning of lower survival rates, the risk of losing your finite donor is no longer there. 

Thanks Narmak, that makes sense, and it's what I sort of expected.

The middle part was actually not touched by the transplant, I didn't think it needed tending to when I booked it - but leading up to it, it seemed to thin.

Unfortunately, it looks like I might need another go around or to jump on dutasteride or something.

This is a hard game to win!

44 minutes ago, HelpfulFriend said:

Thanks Narmak, that makes sense, and it's what I sort of expected.

The middle part was actually not touched by the transplant, I didn't think it needed tending to when I booked it - but leading up to it, it seemed to thin.

Unfortunately, it looks like I might need another go around or to jump on dutasteride or something.

This is a hard game to win!

Personally i'm on Dutasteride. Went nuclear on the 5AR inhibition from the offset. I'd already allowed 10+ years of potential hair loss and wanted to recover maximum ground possible and retain what i had. Finding out the medication works beyond 12+ months and in fact 10+ years on responders motivated me too. I feel like i didn't really see the crown area but i feel like it did start to thin and i genuinely hope that Dutasteride helps me kick back hair there to be thicker but it could also be very much an emotional thing of it feeling thinner due to the way the crown area is and maybe even due to head shape etc. 

Unless you get a full professional trichoschopic check, then it does leave you a little unsure but in terms of frontal hairline, like mine for example, if you check my thread, you can see me expose it under harsher lighting and you can tell its something similar to what was posted and i'm not the only person who has shown this off either. Unfortunately i do think it's a limitation of hair transplants having to balance the scales of maximum survival and finite donor. However, once clone hair grafts are in the mix, i'm excited. I'm just going to set a 50 year clock on it. Maybe some great grand children might be able to use it lol. 

On 12/3/2022 at 5:02 AM, HelpfulFriend said:

Thanks heaps Gil, so I'd be better off going to a surgeon/dermatologist who could assess it properly?

From a cursory glance, so you have an opinion as to if it looks like recession of that area?

I only ask as I've been on Finasteride and minox for about 7 years, and it's held me at baseline. I'm a bit confused as to why I might all of the sudden be losing ground 

The area appears more a pattern of diffused loss…and I would favor being examined and assessed by an experienced surgeon more than a dermatologist…finasteride is not as effective in the frontal zone than the mid-scalp and crown.

Gillenator

• Administrators

Hairlines appear thinner because they have rows of single-haired follicular units (fu). That’s why the front is a lot more softer in appearance and not bulky or overly thick. 

Here’s an example of a hairline that’s too thick, doesn’t look natural and looks like a rug.

image.jpeg

On the other hand, here’s a hair piece with lower density that appears much more natural. 
image.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hair systems have come a long way especially in the last 5 years or so…density and even some natural appearing recession can be adjusted.

Gillenator