Dr. Umar--3000 grafts, BHT (Beard) 12 month update

These photos were taken at 12 month mark from my last procedure with Dr. Umar in which he placed 3000 Beard Hair grafts in my crown area and the top center part of my head.

I was not experienced with BHT but rather only scalp hair transplants. I will have to admit I got a little concerned at the 6th month mark because I didn't think my results were coming along as I had hoped at that point.

Dr. Umar told me that I could not access the full results of the procedure at the 6 month mark, and that it would take up to a year before we could determine the success of the procedure--especially because we were dealing with non-head hair.

Being fairly experienced with hair tranplantation I knew that it took a lot of patience. I now know that it takes even much more patience when dealing with non-head hair. I have also learned that you cannot always look at other people's photos and try to gauge what your results should be at a certain time frame.

The photos were taken in extremely bright light.

Also remember that this procedure was a Beard Hair Graft procedure which are singles as opposed to scalp hairs grafts. This cannot be compared to a 3000 head hair procedure.

I am very satisfied with my results especially considering that, in my opinion, my beard hair is not the caliber of many men's in regards to thickness.

Here you can see some 12 month videos that I took under very bright lights and combing my hair vigorously in all directions.

http://s865.photobucket.com/albums/ab212/y5555/

I plan to have another procedure with Dr. Umar sometime this year.

971106055_AD1BE5C9495EA73D3F651783BDDCC143.jpg.thumb 787102155_B31E14475392C8D821FB9CF677E2DB38.jpg.thumb 666102055_EE551D8A3C224C1007062A8E6FB9DBC4.jpg.thumb 577102155_8F57F69B88809CBEB958C2DE15261515.jpg.thumb 343102055_11A5349F68756E10940ADB3C1DE36ECC.jpg.thumb 321102055_2092C75F6135FB6D9CC6C27B81D1A895.jpg.thumb 281106055_6F8D7189A831727EC9A6CF8FD6C2E609.jpg.thumb 221102055_F2E8A9E04CC7DC42AACB9A5F475E09B6.jpg.thumb 176102055_4AA19DC933127B4310EE4FA9ABE47F47.jpg.thumb 171106055_135CA3AD5ED7CB02A99562A3517A7338.jpg.thumb 121102055_24385CE096CEA728EE5D4118FC4A9AF3.jpg.thumb

Looks nice. Can you please post some pics of the donor area in your beard? Have you experienced pitting in the donor areas or any scarring that is detectable in bright light or up close? Was the beard hair taken from your neck area or also your check/chin area?

Thanks for posting!

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012

Hey Keepingitshorter,

Thank you for adding the photos, is the scarring very noticeable in every day situations?

What were you reasons for using beard hair, rather then leg or arm? Also, as the hairs have matured, have you noticed a difference in texture (has the texture change from normal beard hair)?

Originally posted by Maxxy:

Hey Keepingitshorter,

Thank you for adding the photos, is the scarring very noticeable in every day situations?

What were you reasons for using beard hair, rather then leg or arm? Also, as the hairs have matured, have you noticed a difference in texture (has the texture change from normal beard hair)?

Maxxy:

Those other photos were taken with a camera phone and I noticed that for some reason there was a redish tint that is not evident in person.

I got a digital camera of much better quality and just took the neck area photos I have added which shows the nice healing.

I used beard hair because as opposed to leg and arm hair I understand beard hair is much better quality.

I don't really see where I have any noticeable scarring whatsoever in my beard area, and as far as the hairs, I never let my beard grow out as long as the beard hair on my head is now.

All I can say about mine is that my beard hair is seeming to grow as long as my other hair, but it did take a time.

Originally posted by Shyguy:

Looks nice. Can you please post some pics of the donor area in your beard? Have you experienced pitting in the donor areas or any scarring that is detectable in bright light or up close? Was the beard hair taken from your neck area or also your check/chin area?

Thanks for posting!

Hi thanks for your comments. I have not experienced any pitting or scarring, and the grafts were taken along the bottom of my chin line and neck area.

Originally posted by Sparky:

Dr Umars work always looks more bloody than most. The results turn out ok though.

I asked him about this last time I saw him, because a lot of people comment on it and I couldn't figure it out.

He said that he does not clean the recepient area of blood as he doesnt want to run the risk of moving, dislodging, or otherwise damaging the transplanted follicles.

He went on to say that the clean pictures you see most of the time are after the recipient area has been cleaned. He said that every patient bleeds and if you don't clean the blood it looks like this.

For what it's worth.

3,000 grafts of beard hair is a lot of grafts. You must have one thick beard.

Was the procedure done over a couple of days? Because Body Hair Transplantation is probably a little like FUE in that you don't take out a strip. You never hear of one FUE procedure of 3,000 grafts done in one sitting, so I assume the same applies for BHT?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Originally posted by aaron1234:

Was the procedure done over a couple of days? Because Body Hair Transplantation is probably a little like FUE in that you don't take out a strip. You never hear of one FUE procedure of 3,000 grafts done in one sitting, so I assume the same applies for BHT?

It was performed over a 2 day period.

Originally posted by aaron1234:

Oh, and actually, I could never grow a thick beard like most men can. I do not consider my caliber of beard hair to be as thick as a lot of men's.

That being said I think I got a good result especially considering mine is not as thick. Someone with a capability of growing a thicker beard may even get better results.