Thinking of a transplant, help me decide if it's the right time

Hello,

I'm 27 years old, have had at least a slight recession on my temples for years now, starting in my early twenties.

In the past year however, I've realized that my Forelock has started receeding more as well.
Im now considering a hair transplant as well as starting medication as I feel my mental health is starting to be affected by the hair loss more and more.

I've started to contact doctors that are recommended on this forum but would appreciate some input from you, the members, on if a transplant makes sense in your eyes at this time. Basically im trying to find out it what a doctor recommends matches the forum's feel.

I've made some pictures which i've uploaded here: https://imgur.com/a/Db1zcGw
Than
ks for your thoughts and opinions.

Ok so, I'm not sure on the progression you might face here. Family history of recessions/baldness etc. But I would say taking fin medication will be recommended and then yeah so graft wise... hmm likely 3k-ish maybe more depending on design. Donor area looks good. It'll be telling too family history, some folks recess to where you're at and stop by and large, others keep on going... so understanding that might help. I think you may get some replies saying to wait with some years to see where you land with that progression, so that may be a consideration. Who all are you reaching out to? Folks with experiences with those docs may have greater insight too

My father has receeded temples, I guess similar to mine but he is also 60 years old. My grandfather on my mothers side was completely bald, the other grandfather  (dad's side) still has a lot of hair at 94.

I'm reaching out to eugenix, dr bisanga and dr. feriduni. I still need to do a lot of reading and i'm trying to get a feel of cost and amount of grafts that are estimated from different clinics etc.

Smart clinics to be looking at... the genetic thing is so tough to determine when it's as you say a bit mixed. But encouraging that dad is similar to you and 60. May be that you're nearing stasis with the loss which is a good thing.

• Administrators

Are you on medication to stop the progression of further hair loss? Before you consider surgery, you need to treat the root cause.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I am currently not on medication. Part of the reason is that where I live finasteride is prescription medicine and extremely expensive, the equivalent of $130 us for a months supply. I've been tempted to but online from india or similar where tue price is much lower but have yet to find a site that doesn't look sketchy, and tipps on this? 

Family history means nothing. It's an old wives tale. 

I'm pretty sure Fin is a prescription everywhere in the world. But that being said it should be extremely easy to get. 

Look into discount pricing or coupons. GoodRX.com is a great site to use (not sure if they operate outside the US though)

I see 2 surgeries for you - with a great doctor - in order to have an amazing end-result. Your temple recession alone may have been minor, but your forelock recession has made you into a significant Norwood Level. 

The really good news in all of this is you appear to have zero loss in your crown. 

If your strapped for cash I’ve heard that buying a 5 mg finasteride tablet is cheaper and you cut it up into 4 pieces, great places you consulted with, de frietas, cuoto, mwamba, munib do great do excellent hairline work as well Im pretty sure any of these clinics can help you get a cheap finasteride prescription 

You'll need around 3000 up to 3500 grafts, will need to do more examination with measurements, donor looks good.

Minoxidil and Finasteride can help to prevent some future hairloss, I prefer liquid Finasteride.

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

On 11/25/2022 at 5:01 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Are you on medication to stop the progression of further hair loss? Before you consider surgery, you need to treat the root cause.

Mate you have had four procedures without finasteride lol . Your being such a hypocrite . Don’t practice what you don’t preach lol 

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, Razz said:

Mate you have had four procedures without finasteride lol . Your being such a hypocrite . Don’t practice what you don’t preach lol 

Sukh123 11th account. I lose track. Hope you get help man.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 11/25/2022 at 9:35 PM, pjhairloss said:

I am currently not on medication. Part of the reason is that where I live finasteride is prescription medicine and extremely expensive, the equivalent of $130 us for a months supply. I've been tempted to but online from india or similar where tue price is much lower but have yet to find a site that doesn't look sketchy, and tipps on this? 

Crikey - where do you live!? 

I echo previous sentiments, focus the next 12 months starting on medication that you are comfortable with, see how you get on, and there’s nothing stopping you consulting with clinics in the mean time. 

Your balding is edging more towards the severe end relative to your age, therefore if you are able to, really try and come up with a good stabilisation regime to stand yourself in good stead for your eventual surgery/ies. 

All the best, 

Edited by Curious25

I live in Switzerland. I've seen though that there are generic versions of fin that are sold in 5mg capsules which are much, much cheaper. As I've seen a lot of people buy those and split them.

I'm going to look into getting a recepie from a dermatologist so that I can see how I react to the medication.

I also got the first 2 responses back. Eugenix said about 2700 - 3000 grafts, BHR say about 2800 grafts. The prices are quite different though, which is to be expected.