Are some doctors better at preventing FUE Scars?

htc

I have seen a few examples of individuals who have gotten a transplant and show little to no signs of scarring, such as Mike Thurston who documents his case on YouTube while others of course exhibit the dreaded white dots. Mike, for example, rocks a very short hairstyle on the sides of his head, and i've watched multiple videos of him on YouTube and his scarring is virtually undetectable. Maybe it has to do with his low graft count?

Are there certain extraction techniques that can minimize scarring? I have retrograde alopecia and I typically like to keep my hair short on the sides which helps camouflage the thinness above the ears.

I took the following snips from Dr. Reddy's website:

There is a common misconception that FUE leads to pitting scarring. Though it is a fact that badly performed FUE can lead to visible ‘dot’ like marks on the back of the scalp; with improvements in FUE, the chances of visible scarring is negligible and by following certain protocols and extraction there is evidence to suggest that the scarring is almost invisible.

separately from Dr. Reddy's website:

With our unique FUE system, we can guarantee minimal scarring in the donor area and the most natural results We are one of the few clinics using Acell as part of the surgery

Is there some truth behind these statements, or is this simply for marketing purposes? By the way I am not trying to single out Dr. Reddy, these statements simply caught my eye (ironically Mike Thurston went to Dr. Reddy haha). I believe Dr. Reddy uses punch sizes of .8m - 1m (according to his website). There are plenty of other Doctors using the same punch size, yet they produce results with the dreaded white dots.

Would love to hear thoughts on this. Minimizing scarring is important to me not because I want to shave my head one day but because I like to get fade haircuts and keep the sides above the ear short (typically no guard at the lowest point).

yes some doctors are better at minimizing scarring. Usually those doctors charge more as they can do a lot fewer grafts in a day then someone who is using a bigger punch and harvest more per hour. LOT of factors come into play.  Reddy is pretty good at harvesting from hwat results i have seen posted here. 

Here's a picture of my donor area two years after my first surgery and just minutes prior to my 2nd surgery.  About 1,750 grafts were taken from this area.  We did a mega-session of over 5,000 in my first surgery.  The size punch was 0.8 mm.  In my opinion there were no discernible scarring from a few feet away.  Just my thoughts.

Left+Donor+Pre.JPG

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Absolutely. My first two surgeries were with Lorenzo and he made my donor look like it went through a cheese grater. Absolute nightmare. After only 3700 grafts it looked like there was 5000 or more grafts removed.

I went and saw konior for my last surgery and couldn’t believe how much better the extractions looked. Doctors skill and tools def have a huge effect. This is why you need to stay away from clinics that hand you over to techs

I agree "5Beta...".  All of my grafts were extracted and placed by Dr. Vories.  Techs certainly have their place in the clinic and I'm sure many are competent handling grafts but you typically feel better knowing the doctor who puts his reputation on the line, is performing the surgery.

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.