Failure in the donor area on the left side

Jairo P

Hello friends, I'm almost 14 months after surgery, I operated in Brazil, with Dr Felipe Pittela, my degree of caivicie according to preliminary assessment was 3/4. Almost 5,800 follicles were extracted.

As you can see, my left side never recovered. At 45 days the doctor said it was telogen effluvium, but from the beginning I thought it was overextraction in that place, now my left side is full of rat paths.

On the back there are no noticeable flaws which indicates that the extraction may not have been homogeneous.

Doctor said it's normal, because he extracted it from one area to put it in another, what do you think?

(photos with big hair exposed to light)

I have an aesthetic loss.

Imagem do WhatsApp 25/10/2022 em 00.15.16.jpeg

Imagem do WhatsApp 2022-10-25 em 00.17.14.jpeg

Imagem do WhatsApp 2022-10-25 em 00.18.42.jpeg

Imagem do WhatsApp 25/10/2022 às 22/00/32 (1).jpeg

Imagem do WhatsApp 25/10/2022 em 00.22.32.jpeg

Imagem do WhatsApp 25/10/2022 em 00.22.33.jpeg

Imagem do WhatsApp 25/10/2022 em 00.24.29.jpeg

Imagem do WhatsApp 25/10/2022 em 00.46.55.jpeg

Edited by Jairo P
Tradução

• Jairo P changed the title to Failure in the donor area on the left side

It doesn't look too bad, to be honest.  You have to expect that your donor is going to look thinner once follicles have been removed.  

However, 5800 grafts is an absolutely massive number to remove in 1 session.  This would affect how your donor area recovers etc.  

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

On 25/10/2022 at 22:23, Calihome1 said:

Foram mesmo 5800 enxertos???

Yes, according to the doctor there were exactly 5758 follicles.

Another doctor evaluated my case and said that for my degree of baldness, this amount of follicles was not necessary and that in the surgery there may have been a lot of losses.

Before the operation, an average of 4000 to 5000 follicles was estimated.

On 25/10/2022 at 03:55, StillAlive said:

Além disso, parece assim de todas as luzes e ângulos? Apenas algumas fotos ruins podem não ser representativas da imagem real que as pessoas verão na rua.

I personally feel that 5000 grafts was a lot for your case. I would have thought 3000-4000 max would have been required.

If you have a beard with similar texture to your hair you can always look at putting this beard hair into the donor area

14 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

5800 enxertos de uma só vez para o que parece um Norwood 3? Eu definitivamente estaria questionando o médico sobre isso.

Você tem fotos imediatamente após a cirurgia mostrando as extrações?

I don't have the exact moment of the extraction, but I have some from the end of the surgery. do you think it has almost 5758 follicles?

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-01 at 14.27.09.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-01 at 14.27.38.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-01 at 14.30.34.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-01 at 14.30.51.jpeg

14 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

5800 enxertos de uma só vez para o que parece um Norwood 3? Eu definitivamente estaria questionando o médico sobre isso.

Você tem fotos imediatamente após a cirurgia mostrando as extrações?

Doctor said my Norwood grade was 4A.

3 hours ago, Jairo P said:

I don't have the exact moment of the extraction, but I have some from the end of the surgery. do you think it has almost 5758 follicles?

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-01 at 14.27.09.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-01 at 14.27.38.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-01 at 14.30.34.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-01 at 14.30.51.jpeg

I think he did implant the amount of grafts quoted. How much crown loss did you have? It seems like he put a lot of grafts into zones with hair already present. 

3 hours ago, Jairo P said:

Temporal recesses didn't develop very well either, it's almost the same.

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-01 at 14.04.25.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-01 at 14.18.39.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-01 at 14.13.13.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-19 at 08.20.17 (1).jpeg

The hairline improvement is not bad. I think the result is generally good. I just think the graft count and possibly donor management is not optimal. He needed to place more grafts in the temple points too in order to make them stronger

44 minutes ago, 5BetaReductase said:

The hairline improvement is not bad. I think the result is generally good. I just think the graft count and possibly donor management is not optimal. He needed to place more grafts in the temple points too in order to make them stronger

Honestly I think this is a fail on a lot of points that are important in good surgical hair restoration

1. poor donor harvesting

2. poor graft utilization

3. mediocre growth. 

4. poor surgical planning. 

5. poor temple point density/ recreation

Lot of turkey mills can put out this result.

On 01/11/2022 at 19:09, shiba1985 said:

Honestamente, acho que isso é uma falha em muitos pontos que são importantes em uma boa restauração cirúrgica do cabelo

1. má colheita de doadores

2. má utilização do enxerto

3. crescimento medíocre. 

4. mau planejamento cirúrgico. 

5. baixa densidade/recreação de pontos do templo

Muitos moinhos de peru podem divulgar esse resultado.

Do you think my NW rating was 4A or 3V?

Em 11/01/2022 às 18:20, 5BetaReductase disse:

Acho que ele implantou a quantidade de enxertos citados. Quanta perda de coroa você teve? Parece que ele colocou com muitos enxertos em zonas de cabelo já presente. 

This patient had greater baldness and needed fewer follicles

Edited by Jairo P
Tradução

I do think Dr Pitella is world class but I totally understand your frustration. I’d say 6k grafts seems high but I guess it is a case by case basis. Still I have spoken with Dr Pitella on few occasions and think he is one of the best doctors in the world! He will make it right!

Edited by JoDimaggio22
  • Like 1

• Administrators

The number of grafts is dependent on the person and their goals. If you were just doing your hairline, then 5,000 sounds like a lot, but you lowered your hairline and transplanted into the midscalp and crown.

96B6FB8E-CF2E-4D12-8E7C-E3A5B4593C6A.jpeg

It also looks like you’ve had high density in an area completely void of hair. It’s much different than transplanting in between hair, you require much more grafts to create density in a bald zone.

F8AF4AAB-E677-41CE-993F-B5C360AEB1B7.jpeg

As for your donor, this zone looked thin before you had a hair transplant. Even here with longer hair, you can see that it’s thin.

4BBD9D28-6659-4AE5-B813-A2B59E90CB40.jpeg

Now, compound this with surgery and it will look thinner. However, the before picture was taken with longer hair and in a much darker setting. The after picture with short hair facing the light. I would bet that if you grew your hair and took a picture in similar lighting it wouldn’t look much different. Since the before picture was taken at the clinic. I think the best thing to do is return to the clinic and compare apples to apples. Dr. Pittella is ethical and one of the best, I’m sure he wants to make you happy. 

Dark lighting/long hair      Short hair/bright lighting

3ECF5701-01E8-45C0-ABF0-4A80B274F55E.jpeg

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.