Recommendations for transgender MTF hair transplant near New Zealand?

Hi,

I am researching clinics to help as part of male to female gender transition. Being in New Zealand travel time, cost and safety are a concern so I am looking mostly towards Thailand. Any recommendations or experiences are appreciated, especially relating to transgender issues. Our local NZ and AU options do not seem to be well reviewed here.

I'm expecting a very large amount of grafts needed and potentially multiple sessions. Given that I think it makes sense to look at someone with FUT as well as FUE specialties and have a long term plan. The primary goal is to get a presentable female hair style with longer hair. I'm already on finasteride and using minoxidil foam regularly for about a year, though HRT medication will replace some of that now.

I have sent in the online consult form for a couple of surgeons recommended by the site, Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich and Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong. I also sent a couple further afield for comparison.

Thank you

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor

The two surgeons from Thailand are the only two in Thailand I would pick. I’m so glad you have not gone to anyone here in NZ/Aus. There is no one and I’ve been researching down under for the past 37 years. Are you able to post pics with your eyes/face blocked out so we can get a better idea of your hair loss? All the best. 👍

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
3 hours ago, hairlines said:

Hi,

I am researching clinics to help as part of male to female gender transition. Being in New Zealand travel time, cost and safety are a concern so I am looking mostly towards Thailand. Any recommendations or experiences are appreciated, especially relating to transgender issues. Our local NZ and AU options do not seem to be well reviewed here.

I'm expecting a very large amount of grafts needed and potentially multiple sessions. Given that I think it makes sense to look at someone with FUT as well as FUE specialties and have a long term plan. The primary goal is to get a presentable female hair style with longer hair. I'm already on finasteride and using minoxidil foam regularly for about a year, though HRT medication will replace some of that now.

I have sent in the online consult form for a couple of surgeons recommended by the site, Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich and Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong. I also sent a couple further afield for comparison.

Thank you

If the goal is to wear your hair long then FUT definitely sounds like a good first step for you. I'm also going to assume that currently or with more time, you're not going to have beard or chest hair resources to draw from in order to supplement FUE's so I'd very much recommend focusing on good FUT surgeons plus those with a body of work creating natural looking female hairlines (which differ in terms of angles and softness to male hairlines). The narrowness of those requirements may well mean you're best served by looking further afield than Asia, but certainly avoid NZ & Aus as your options there are notoriously limited.

• Administrators

I would say Thailand is the best place, what kind of medication treatment plan are you on to stop hair loss? I would recommend DUT+HRT+ oral spiro and oral minoxidil. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Oh chest hair was never going to be much or a resource and the beard has had enough treatment already that it isn't very helpful either. Maybe if I'd done my research earlier I'd have looked at that but here we are. I've been on finasteride and using minoxidil foam for a year or so which has had some positive impact. Medication is all being moved around a bit a the moment so not exactly sure where I'll end up.

Here are a couple of pictures (f you recognise me say hi some time, haha).

Obviously loss is very far progressed on all of the top through to the crown, though I think I have a strong donor area to work with. There is a lot of work to do.

From the research I've done a large FUT session to begin with, and expecting later rounds, sound like the way to go. I'm not expecting miracles here because time has done its damage, but hoping to get a hair style I can work with because it's a bit existential for me. Today there is little I can do other than shave it short.

Thank you for all the comment :)

20221013_160405 (1) - Copy.jpg

20221013_160421 (1) - Copy.jpg

20221013_160251 (1) - Copy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/5/2022 at 9:35 AM, 5BetaReductase said:

Dr Path has been around for a long time and has some great results. With that being said, some of the best female hairline work I’ve seen is from Nadimi 

Cost for going to America is a little prohibitive unfortunately.

Here are some notes from initial email consults:

From the photos, you have extensive area of hair loss from the front towards the crown. Your donor hair at the back and both sides look good .My rough estimate is you might need a few sessions to complete. For the first session, you might need 4,000 grafts, more or less, depending on the time of consultation. The grafts to be placed from the front towards the midscalp, or until running out of grafts.

Combination of FUT and FUE is done when a large number of grafts need to be removed. This will minimize the complications of each technique.  

I recommend that you go for a combination of FUE and FUT to gain more grafts in one session and to minimize the complications of each technique.

These seem in track with my expectations. Can anyone tell me what the typical consultation process looks like from here?

IDK how long you've been on hormones, but if you've recently started, give it a year or so, see how you respond.  Sometimes when people go on Estrogen they see ridiculous changes and hair regrowth.  I'd not touch a Hair Transplant until at least knowing what I'm working with.  

Check out my journey here:

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2022 at 10:41 PM, Fue3361 said:

IDK how long you've been on hormones, but if you've recently started, give it a year or so, see how you respond.  Sometimes when people go on Estrogen they see ridiculous changes and hair regrowth.  I'd not touch a Hair Transplant until at least knowing what I'm working with.  

6 months in, plus a year or so on fin / minoxidil. From my research I'm not expecting much more of a change on its own from here. It'll be April before I get overseas too so almost a year anyway I guess.

We can always hope though :)

12 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

If you’re taking hrt, then you should be waiting to see what it will do for you 

How long? We'd be 18 months on meds, and 9 months on HRT with current plan. I'll have a chat to the surgeon about it too.

There is some noticeable recovery since starting this whole journey. It's hard for me to inspect higher up but some hairs have slowly come back in in the highlighted area. They are still very fine and short but are growing at least. There is not much going on off to the sides.

This is a long road.

:(

image.png

6 hours ago, mrmane85 said:

I'd look closely at I'd look at Dr Laorwong. Excellent results on this forum, does FUT + FUE plus he is hands-on throughout the entire surgery.

Having a good review of his posts too... he has some nice hairlines to show!

• 2 weeks later...