Diffuse thinning transplant or no

Its honestly hard to say when your hair is that short. But remember, a hairtransplant only gives you an illusion of density and is not the same as native density.

I am also a diffuse thinner but probably worse than you but with curly hair to hide a lot of the "empty." Personally, I think im closer to the concepts of female pattern hairloss. Nonetheless, I still got a transplant done and sent my photos to various clinics who all gave me different answers based off what they would do and recommend vs what I had asked for (only a few agreed to do it and a few rejected the case). 

So I would recommend you to grow out your hair, send those photos of short and long to surgeons who are skilled in diffused thinners (or reputable clinics I am sure they get many dt) and get a consultation live/email. Probably see one in your area if you are able to.

• Like 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

1 minute ago, Vann said:

Its honestly hard to say when your hair is that short. But remember, a hairtransplant only gives you an illusion of density and is not the same as native density.

I am also a diffuse thinner but probably worse than you but with curly hair to hide a lot of the "empty." Personally, I think im closer to the concepts of female pattern hairloss. Nonetheless, I still got a transplant done and sent my photos to various clinics who all gave me different answers based off what they would do and recommend vs what I had asked for (only a few agreed to do it and a few rejected the case). 

So I would recommend you to grow out your hair, send those photos of short and long to surgeons who are skilled in diffused thinners (or reputable clinics I am sure they get many dt) and get a consultation live/email. Probably see one in your area if you are able to.

Do you see alot of diffuse thinning on me with the short hair or is it only slight?

Philly man,

given the length of your hair and the brightness of the photos, it’s honestly difficult to see how much thinning you are experiencing. It seems like you still have a pretty good head of hair. If you grow it out longer, what does it look like? You say you’ve been taking finasteride and minoxidil for years, how do you feel they are working for you?  Are you still losing hair or do you feel it has stabilized? If your hair loss has stopped, when was the last time you felt you were losing hair?

The problem with diffuse thinners is that if any of the hair on top of your head is miniaturizing, there is a high risk of permanent shock loss to those hairs if you transplant hair in between and around them. However, if you are a good responder to finasteride, these hairs may have thickened and may be less vulnerable to permanent shock loss.

if you are a good responder to the medication and possess minimal miniaturizing hairs on top of the scalp, you may be a good candidate for surgery and could end up with a significant net gain in terminal hair and cosmetic improvement.

However, you may not be a good candidate for surgery if you already possess a substantial amount of natural hair with high density all over your scalp. Frankly, you wouldn’t want to transplant hair in between and around natural hair if you already possess density higher than what a surgeon would typically transplant.

I do suggest posting some better photos and if possible, resent some photos of your hair growing in a little bit.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

17 minutes ago, Phillyman1996 said:

Do you see alot of diffuse thinning on me with the short hair or is it only slight?

Hard to say since I dont really see many consistent photos in the same lighting. Plus I am not that trained of an eye to really make that call. You can kind of tell more live with diffuse thinners. Its a difficult case sometimes where you have different areas of hair that are beginning to weaken next to certain stronger areas.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

1 minute ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Philly man,

given the length of your hair and the brightness of the photos, it’s honestly difficult to see how much thinning you are experiencing. It seems like you still have a pretty good head of hair. If you grow it out longer, what does it look like? You say you’ve been taking finasteride inland minoxidil for years, how do you feel they are working for you?  Are you still losing hair or do you feel it has stabilized? If your hair loss has stopped, when was the last time you felt you were losing hair?

The problem with diffuse thinners is that if any of the hair on top of your head is miniaturizing, there is a high risk of permanent shock loss to those hairs if you transplant hair in between and around them. However, if you are a good responder to finasteride, these hairs may have thickened and may be less vulnerable to permanent shock loss.

if you are a good responder to the medication and possess minimal miniaturizing hairs on top of the scalp, you may be a good candidate for surgery and could end up with a significant net gain in terminal hair and cosmetic improvement.

However, you may not be a good candidate for surgery if you already possess a substantial amount of natural hair with high density all over your scalp. Frankly, you wouldn’t want to transplant hair in between and around natural hair if you already possess density higher than what a surgeon would typically transplant.

I do suggest posting some better photos and if possible, resent some photos of your hair growing in a little bit.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

I feel like my hairloss has stabilized i haven't lost much hair these past couple years my hair fullness is still fairly deccent

2 minutes ago, Phillyman1996 said:

I feel like my hairloss has stabilized i haven't lost much hair these past couple years my hair fullness is still fairly deccent

Thank you for your response. To be honest, it’s hard to really give any further opinion or thoughts without seeing photos of your hair longer and under consistent lighting.  Do you have any such photos you can present? Short of better photos or an in person evaluation, it would be difficult to give you any additional input.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

1 minute ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Thank you for your response. To be honest, it’s hard to really give any further opinion or thoughts without seeing photos of your hair longer and under consistent lighting.  Do you have any such photos you can present? Short of better photos or an in person evaluation, it would be difficult to give you any additional input.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

20220929_102919.jpg

• Administrators

I don’t see a demarcation line present in diffuse thinning.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

10 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I don’t see a demarcation line present in diffuse thinning.

I can tell in certain lighting I notice slight thinning but in some lighting it does it look normal doesn't a buzzcut accentuate your thinning areas?

Why would need a ht, when u just gonna shave it so short . U just accentuating ur hairloss. Ur hair looks good grown out… n don’t do no patchwork ht .. wait till u see serious bald spots n act accordingly .. nothing wrong with hair fibers n stuff to fill in spots ..  it’s a long game u playing ,, so be smart about it .. start from front to back .. do ur research .. 

• Administrators

I do not see any signs of needing a hair transplant. Not any time soon. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.