A little worried about this progress - 8 weeks, something 'odd'

My original thread, outlining early pre and post-surgery photos.

The current situation - here is a video. There is a large linear area spanning the length of my hairline that has a gap. It has shed large amounts of hair, and in some spots, baby bottom smooth. Not even a hint of a hair follicle. I've never seen shedding like this before.

Should I be concerned?

I've attached a screen shot of the video.

The yellow lines are the implanted hair, which has remained consistent and grown in length. The white question marks are the empty areas.

Untitled.png

I’m having a hard time viewing the video on Dropbox on my phone. Can you post any pre-op and immediately post op photos here?

At 8 weeks, if you’re saying you had natural hair there before the surgery, I’d say this is probably shock loss. Feel free to take a look at my thread of my journey at HDC. I lost almost ALL of my hair. Not just the transplanted hair (which is normal), but almost all of my native hair too (or previously transplanted hair from like 8 years earlier).

I’d say just about all of it grew back, but it took like 5-6 months. 

Follow your post-op protocols, and keep in touch with your surgeon/clinic. Hang in there. This is a long ride.

Edited by Parasol
  • Like 1

• Administrators

At 2 months, there’s nothing to worry about, it’s gonna take a few months before you have an idea of what it will look like.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

16 hours ago, waterworld said:

My original thread, outlining early pre and post-surgery photos.

The current situation - here is a video. There is a large linear area spanning the length of my hairline that has a gap. It has shed large amounts of hair, and in some spots, baby bottom smooth. Not even a hint of a hair follicle. I've never seen shedding like this before.

Should I be concerned?

I've attached a screen shot of the video.

The yellow lines are the implanted hair, which has remained consistent and grown in length. The white question marks are the empty areas.

Untitled.png

Like this? I think it's normal. Mine looked rough after 2-3 weeks, completely smooth. Looks fine now

PXL_20220612_181105487.MP~2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/2/2022 at 4:09 AM, waterworld said:

How long did it stay like that?

Here's my progress so far

https://imgur.com/a/hYki3Zz/

Three months or more. Don't worry, you're on track. The top pic is at around three months. It takes a really long time for it to grow and when it does, it looks bad. The bottom pic is 4 months though and you can see the difference. I wouldn't even bother checking your hair for a month or more. You'll be fine though, way too early 👍🏻

PXL_20220816_175730643~2.jpg

PXL_20221001_174555191~3.jpg

Edited by Axel
  • Thanks 1

Waterworld,

I haven’t seen the video but here is the most important question. This gap you are referring to… Wasn’t present on the day of surgery after your transplant?  If not, then you have nothing to be concerned about because you are only eight weeks after surgery and this is all very normal. Transplant hair typically sheds between 4 to 6 weeks and will all shed at different rates and times. Also when new growth starts which is typically between 3 and 5 months, they all start to grow in at different times and in different ways.

Now, if after your hair transplant, there was a big gap, then I agree that there is reason to be concerned. Because any areas that were not transplanted will clearly not grow any hair unless of course there is already natural hair there.

but I’m guessing that there were no gaps after your hair transplant and you’re only concerned because there’s a gap currently. I understand that waiting is the hardest part, but please don’t be concerned about uneven growth or gaps or areas of no hair early on like now. You shouldn’t even be seeing signs of new growth at this early stage.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 1 month later...

Hi waterworld very interesting and thank you for sharing your story. I’m looking into this Clinic and others, looks like it’s been around for a long time so could be good. How was your experience on the day? 

I’ve read some differing reports on the clinic but do you remember on the day whether the doctor himself or the Technician/assistant performed the FUE extraction (graft harvest)? One patient said they had an inter muscle injection that knocked them out im a bit scared of that if I’m honest can I ask did you have the injection? 

Hope all is coming through now it has been a few months??

On 12/6/2022 at 11:03 PM, sinbar said:

Hi waterworld very interesting and thank you for sharing your story. I’m looking into this Clinic and others, looks like it’s been around for a long time so could be good. How was your experience on the day? 

I’ve read some differing reports on the clinic but do you remember on the day whether the doctor himself or the Technician/assistant performed the FUE extraction (graft harvest)? One patient said they had an inter muscle injection that knocked them out im a bit scared of that if I’m honest can I ask did you have the injection? 

Hope all is coming through now it has been a few months??

Here is my thread

@Axel @Parasol @Melvin- Moderator

Hi guys,

4 month update. Just some context: This procedure was done to 'lower' my hairline, not to replace hair loss.

I have some concerns about the progress of that area behind the hairline. As you can see, it is showing incredibly little growth in comparison to the hairline. For this to level off, I'll need to see exponential growth here in the next month or two to catch up with the rest, and I've never seen 'gaps' filled out to this extent.

This 'gap' has been visible since the 3rd week post-op.

06EAADD6-1D9D-4ADE-BA91-EF9458B66BA1.jpeg

B830DDBA-2357-434E-A1BB-84A7D8CB03F9.jpeg

AE597520-33A3-4062-8056-7AAF0027B5E4.jpeg

FE594F27-D9F0-4DAF-9531-B24834BD74CD.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Can you provide pre op and immediately post op photos?  

On 8/14/2022 at 3:36 PM, waterworld said:

I thought I'd share my progress going forward here.

Day of operation

71311EA2-D8D6-4D27-B7E2-A4D91DD484A8_1_105_c.jpeg.04dbfb1bc8991809cd3df10f4e7539ba.jpeg350DC6C3-6072-4DE8-9BCA-ACE8BB05292D_1_105_c.jpeg.e3ca7c104e690568700e7f5583609312.jpegD259BB27-4B6D-460C-8DFF-33533E37B64A_1_105_c.jpeg.8f6d036d266557e8c1ad6083013a7980.jpeg50B64DD2-A94C-4930-97C2-4813B9F9FAE9_1_105_c.jpeg.83d0729d33ec4043230ed07bc84e9122.jpegC6D78ADF-DA07-45F2-ABCA-E83CC289D0CD_1_105_c.jpeg.7497950b61b11f987247440323994537.jpeg7C6250D5-3E4B-4378-BDC9-7DE2768B022E_1_105_c.jpeg.588561cea0cef02d808b744cdabcfb8e.jpeg

CleanShot 2022-12-12 at 09.51.54@2x.png

CleanShot 2022-12-12 at 09.52.05@2x.png

CleanShot 2022-12-12 at 09.52.23@2x.png

Edited by waterworld
more pics

It’s hard to make comment from those photos as there aren’t any of what you looked like pre transplant to ascertain what your pre op density was like in that particular Region - however I will say two things;

- Assuming the transplanted area was completely bald of any native hairs, the implanted density looks to be nowhere near sufficient to provide you with any form of illusion of fullness similar to your native density. 

- I don’t believe you to not have suffered hair loss to require a hairline lowering to this extent. Again, hard to comment with 100% accuracy without seeing your pre op photos, but the transplanted area you have shown us alongside where your native hair is, indicates standard MPB hairline recession. 

10 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

It’s hard to make comment from those photos as there aren’t any of what you looked like pre transplant to ascertain what your pre op density was like in that particular Region - however I will say two things;

- Assuming the transplanted area was completely bald of any native hairs, the implanted density looks to be nowhere near sufficient to provide you with any form of illusion of fullness similar to your native density. 

- I don’t believe you to not have suffered hair loss to require a hairline lowering to this extent. Again, hard to comment with 100% accuracy without seeing your pre op photos, but the transplanted area you have shown us alongside where your native hair is, indicates standard MPB hairline recession. 

Ive just seen your pre op pics on the other thread , 

My two previous remarks from above 100% apply I’m afraid. 

Hopefully you will get on growth from the grafts that actually were implanted - and then I would recommend consulting with a different clinic to go for a further surgery post 9-12 months  to finish off the required density. 

I would also recommend learning about hair loss medications available, and start to consider the options you feel comfortable with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waterworld said:

Thanks I appreciate the response. 

My immediate concern are these gaps. 

4 months is still pretty early, you'll have to wait another 8 before you could have another surgery. It's see what you end up with, mine looked very bad at 4 months initially. I'd book a second procedure with Hasson and Wong or someone else reputable, then cancel if you are satisfied with the results by the time your appointment's date has arrived.

Hi, Waterworld. Thanks for pinging me and providing some additional photos.

I agree with what everyone is saying above: That it’s hard to say unless we can know for certain the transplanted area was completely bald or not, and that if it was bald, this doesn’t appear to be enough density to match the native hair behind it.

It does look like you have coarse hair, so it’s possible you’ll be pleasantly surprised over the course of the next 8 months. You’re still in the worst stage, after all! I know it’s hard, but try your best to patient!

But I think it’s also important to be realistic, and to have a backup plan if this doesn’t become what you had desired. 

Hang in there, buddy. 4 months is still very early.

Have you stated who your surgeon was? Have you kept in contact with your clinic at all?

Edited by Parasol

On 12/14/2022 at 5:53 AM, Parasol said:

Hi, Waterworld. Thanks for pinging me and providing some additional photos.

I agree with what everyone is saying above: That it’s hard to say unless we can know for certain the transplanted area was completely bald or not, and that if it was bald, this doesn’t appear to be enough density to match the native hair behind it.

It does look like you have coarse hair, so it’s possible you’ll be pleasantly surprised over the course of the next 8 months. You’re still in the worst stage, after all! I know it’s hard, but try your best to patient!

But I think it’s also important to be realistic, and to have a backup plan if this doesn’t become what you had desired. 

Hang in there, buddy. 4 months is still very early.

Have you stated who your surgeon was? Have you kept in contact with your clinic at all?

I went to see Dr Malkani earlier this week to discuss the concern I had about the gap. He shared the following:

• He agreed that the graft amount I had would not have been sufficient for straight hair, but he was adamant that it would be fine for my hair type. Thus, the issue with density is not a concern for him at the moment.
  • His reasoning was that curly hair patients develop at a slower rate, and the hair type in itself gives a better illusion of density.
  • He echoed the above points and said to wait for the 8month+ mark before making any judgements. 

For me, however, density isn't my primary concern at the moment. I'm open to a follow-up HT. My concern is those large gaps. The growth of hair around it has made my hairline look disjointed, as if someone took a clipper and aggressively shaved a patch off.

I'll update if there is any change.

Edited by waterworld

23 minutes ago, waterworld said:

He agreed that the graft amount I had would not have been sufficient for straight hair, but he was adamant that it would be fine for my hair type. Thus, the issue with density is not a concern for him at the moment.

To be 'adamant' he must have examples of a similar hair type that has yielded the results he expects. I would want to see example patient photos of pre op, post op and final results. At least then you will feel more relaxed about the outcome over the next few months.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...