Is there signs of any major breakout in the next 10 years?

Verteporfin is something that looks promising and is already happening, other than that, there are a few potential drugs on the pipeline but still a long time to go.

I personally wouldnt delay a HT in the current state.

Edited by WhereIsMyMind
  • Like 3

Focus on getting $$$ and advancing your career instead of putting all your eggs in the miracle cure basket. 

You will still have to go the hair transplant route, but it will be way less stressful if you can throw away disposable money for surgery and see a world class doctor, as opposed to taking on credit or taking out a loan, and having to gamble on a sub-par doctor to boot. 

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1

I remember the old saying which becomes relevant almost everytime this is mentioned:

"It's only 5 years away(!)" and when it arrives repeat the phrase lol. 

Verteporfin is being tested off label and only works for HT patients and even then there's not enough clinical data to see how it will play out and what cost. It could become a gimmick for price raising like Sapphire Super Duper 9000 FUE etc. 

Pyrilutamide and Breezula are looking promising from clinical data for treatment options though. 

• Like 2

Yep, for the past 50 years we have heard, " the cure for MPB is only 5 years away!'...and then after 5 years have passed, "the cure for hair loss is only 5 years away!"...😒

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Nah

Because it’s not easy, downright impossible to cure baldness. 

The problem is it’s a body wide problem rather than just limited to one organ. You have DHT which is used everywhere, prolactin again with different functions than just hair follicles and testosterone. 

There isn’t one gene but several genes involved in balding and we don’t even know which genes play what role and to what extent. 

Stem cell research is in its infancy, before a cure can come for hairloss there will be bigger diseases cured and that’s when it will be applied to hairloss as well. 

I think people don’t realise how complicated human body is, it’s a beautiful well tuned machine and we just don’t know about it enough to be able to only target one organ without affecting the rest.

But the biggest hurdle to any progress is $$$. It’s just not profitable to cure baldness. There’s more money in drugs like fin, breezula, minox etc and hair transplants are so damn profitable, it’s a joke. Truly insane.

It’s the same reason now more people are dying of infections than they did in past due bacterial resistance simply because pharma has lost interest in bringing more antibiotics to the market even though new ones are discovered every year by research institutes. 

Cures aren’t profitable, chronic treatments bring the big bucks.

So yeah just take fin and min or get a HT and move on with your life. Nothing happening in our lifetime

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor
3 hours ago, gillenator said:

Yep, for the past 50 years we have heard, " the cure for MPB is only 5 years away!'...and then after 5 years have passed, "the cure for hair loss is only 5 years away!"...😒

@gillenator I don’t know why but the number ‘5’ has always been the magic number? Well it has from experience. Everything I have always heard or read in the media, etc has always stated this it that is only 5 years ago. I’ve heard this since I was 18 and that number never changes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

@gillenator I don’t know why but the number ‘5’ has always been the magic number? Well it has from experience. Everything I have always heard or read in the media, etc has always stated this it that is only 5 years ago. I’ve heard this since I was 18 and that number never changes!

5 is the magic number because it sounds far enough to sell as a future treatment going through clinical trials etc. and short enough to hold out hope. 

If you say 10 years, then it sounds 5 years too long :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, LookMaxx said:

Nah

Because it’s not easy, downright impossible to cure baldness. 

The problem is it’s a body wide problem rather than just limited to one organ. You have DHT which is used everywhere, prolactin again with different functions than just hair follicles and testosterone. 

There isn’t one gene but several genes involved in balding and we don’t even know which genes play what role and to what extent. 

Stem cell research is in its infancy, before a cure can come for hairloss there will be bigger diseases cured and that’s when it will be applied to hairloss as well. 

I think people don’t realise how complicated human body is, it’s a beautiful well tuned machine and we just don’t know about it enough to be able to only target one organ without affecting the rest.

But the biggest hurdle to any progress is $$$. It’s just not profitable to cure baldness. There’s more money in drugs like fin, breezula, minox etc and hair transplants are so damn profitable, it’s a joke. Truly insane.

It’s the same reason now more people are dying of infections than they did in past due bacterial resistance simply because pharma has lost interest in bringing more antibiotics to the market even though new ones are discovered every year by research institutes. 

Cures aren’t profitable, chronic treatments bring the big bucks.

So yeah just take fin and min or get a HT and move on with your life. Nothing happening in our lifetime

Yup exactly.

The only cure I could see would be a somehow very efficient localized topical finasteride. Of course you would have to keep on using it.

In addition to that continuing improvements in transplants (FUE). 

• Like 1

• Moderators

This doesn't just happen with hair loss cures. I remember when I was a kid back in the 1970s there was supposed to be a tooth decay vaccine coming in a few years that would be giving to all young children and would make most Dentists go out of business because there wouldn't be anyone getting cavities any more. I just read an article recently still saying a vaccine is coming soon. That's 50 years.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

1 hour ago, BeHappy said:

This doesn't just happen with hair loss cures. I remember when I was a kid back in the 1970s there was supposed to be a tooth decay vaccine coming in a few years that would be giving to all young children and would make most Dentists go out of business because there wouldn't be anyone getting cavities any more. I just read an article recently still saying a vaccine is coming soon. That's 50 years.

not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but if something like that was possible I don't see the reason why it would ever be allowed to the general public. major organisations would be out of business. 

• Valued Contributor

The one thing people need to remember is that MPB is not a disorder. It's a natural process that occurs in both men and women. A cure is very appealing for those who want to make money off it (as altruistically as they may appear).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gatsby said:

The one thing people need to remember is that MPB is not a disorder. It's a natural process that occurs in both men and women. A cure is very appealing for those who want to make money off it (as altruistically as they may appear).

Curing hair loss would be a big money business in the modern era. It's why suddenly all these Keeps, HIMs etc. popped up and are making bank, but if somebody could exclusively patent a "cure" equivalent that could reverse what we thought was permanent hair loss on so called "dead zones" they would stand to make tens of billions. 50% or the population or more suffers from it and without the side affects of current medication, oh boy. Holy grail of treatment. 

• Like 1

Would be interesting Podcast episode for @Melvin- Moderatorwith Ralf Paus/George Cotseralis/Maksim Plikus/Angela Christiano. Most profilic hair loss researchers of today. I think Ralf Paus/Maksim Plikus are really down for these sort of things as well.

Edited by davidn
Improvement

14 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Yep, I have experienced the same thing!…they say the same things about cures for cancer, “A cure is coming in 5 years”.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Valued Contributor
11 hours ago, NARMAK said:

Curing hair loss would be a big money business in the modern era. It's why suddenly all these Keeps, HIMs etc. popped up and are making bank, but if somebody could exclusively patent a "cure" equivalent that could reverse what we thought was permanent hair loss on so called "dead zones" they would stand to make tens of billions. 50% or the population or more suffers from it and without the side affects of current medication, oh boy. Holy grail of treatment. 

But the cure has to work @NARMAK! That's why it's never happened.

Highly unlikely imo. Finasteride is the gold standard drug to treat hair loss. It’s been out since 1992. Dutasteride has been out since 2002. Minoxidil has been on the market since the early 80s. Now we’ve come full circle back to oral minoxidil.

it’s literally been 20 years since anything worth mentioning was released.