microneedling depth and frequency

duchaine

• Administrators

Welcome duchaine, hows your hair looking these days?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

12 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Welcome duchaine, hows your hair looking these days?

Hey Melvin,
nice to meet you again.
I started to use DUTA injections 1/month+PRP and at august my hair were ...GREAT!
Now....but my density sucks.
I do not know if it a simple Telogen effluvium (It happens to me in September every couple of years) or it is because I stopped to use topical minoxidil and stopped microneedeling.

What about your growth?

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 10:22 PM, BaldBobby said:

Who wants to microneedle for the rest of their lives? Not me. 

More importantly, who wants to be bald for the rest of their lives?

If running a little microneedler over my head for about a minute every few days helps the minoxidil absorb and work better, and maybe has some added benefits from the body repair processes generated from the micro wounds. That sounds like a relatively small price to pay to help maximize my hair shaft thickness and growth cycle synchronization.

My skin is too sensitive for topical minoxidil and microneedling because of some skin conditions. But from what I've seen online the .5 and .75 length ranges provide great results as well. I wouldn't bother going longer than .75 

Just now, ciaus said:

If running a little microneedler over my head for about a minute every few days helps the minoxidil absorb and work better, and maybe has some added benefits from the body repair processes generated from the micro wounds. That sounds like a relatively small price to pay to help maximize my hair shaft thickness and growth cycle synchronization.

My skin is too sensitive for topical minoxidil and microneedling because of some skin conditions. But from what I've seen online the .5 and .75 length ranges provide great results as well. I wouldn't bother going longer than .75 

well I'd prefer taking oral medication instead, if the side effects aren't too bad.

1 minute ago, RTC said:

Used to do it but heard it can cause micro-scarring on the scalp long-term...

What prescription or magnifying glass strength would one need to even see a 'micro' scar? lol I'd be verifying that with a dermatologist instead of going by what you've heard, even if it was around here. 

1 hour ago, ciaus said:

What prescription or magnifying glass strength would one need to even see a 'micro' scar? lol I'd be verifying that with a dermatologist instead of going by what you've heard, even if it was around here. 

Apparently certain well known HT doctors have said it

• Administrators
On 9/24/2022 at 7:06 PM, duchaine said:

Hey Melvin,
nice to meet you again.
I started to use DUTA injections 1/month+PRP and at august my hair were ...GREAT!
Now....but my density sucks.
I do not know if it a simple Telogen effluvium (It happens to me in September every couple of years) or it is because I stopped to use topical minoxidil and stopped microneedeling.

What about your growth?

I’ve just started oral minoxidil and it’s going awesome 😎 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, ciaus said:

Due to skin issues you just microneedle and don’t use minox? Wouldn’t 2mm needles be hard on sensitive skin as well?

9 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Due to skin issues you just microneedle and don’t use minox? Wouldn’t 2mm needles be hard on sensitive skin as well?

No I have a scarring alopecia in remission and seborrheic dermatitis that could flare up if I did topical minox or microneedling. I just use medicated shampoos on my scalp skin to help make sure everything stays calm and take oral minox and oral finasteride.

1 minute ago, ciaus said:

No I have a scarring alopecia in remission and seborrheic dermatitis that could flare up if I did topical minox or microneedling. I just use medicated shampoos on my scalp skin to help make sure everything stays calm and take oral minox and oral finasteride.

What medicated shampoo by chance? I also have very sensitive skin and seem to be dealing with a follulitis issue Right now. 

I use a rotation of shampoos, my dermatologist tells me that helps prevent the condition and my body from adapting to the same ingredient and losing effectiveness. So I'm doing 2% ketoconazole and two over the counter Head and Shoulders shampoos, one with 1% selenium sulfide and one with 1% pyrithione zinc. Two cycles each week (meaning I wash my hair each night with one of them) with one break day between the cycles.

Edited by ciaus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ciaus said:

I use a rotation of shampoos, my dermatologist tells me that helps prevent the condition and my body from adapting to the same ingredient and losing effectiveness. So I'm doing 2% ketoconazole and two over the counter Head and Shoulders shampoos, one with 1% selenium sulfide and one with 1% pyrithione zinc. Two cycles each week (meaning I wash my hair each night with one of them) with one break day between the cycles.

Oh so like a selsum blue, then Nizoral, then Head and shoulder, then a day off with nothing but water then cycle back?

22 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Oh so like a selsum blue, then Nizoral, then Head and shoulder, then a day off with nothing but water then cycle back?

Yea thats it and I leave them on a few minutes before rinsing.

• Like 1

I put aloe gel on it after moisturizing lotion after showers. Bear in mind I'm still buzzing my head down every few days since the covid lockdown started, so depending on hair length and styling that's not going to be something everyone will be able to do. 

• Like 1