Oral Minoxidil Before Surgery

Hi All- Anyone out there have a procedure and had to stop oral minoxidil prior? Calling all those knowledgeable on the subject.

I am scheduled for a procedure in about 1 month and the clinic said to stop oral minoxidil 15 days prior as I was planning to stop at least 15 days prior.

Since oral minoxidil is relatively new in treatment of AGA, I was wondering if anyone else who had a procedure was told a different timeframe (perhaps a longer timeframe) as to when to stop oral minoxidil prior to their procedure.

I want to be safe in that minoxidil is a vasodilator, but also wouldn't want to stop too soon prior which would more likely shed any gains (although modest) that I have achieved while being on the drug.

Thanks!

SLA,

Minoxidil is a vasodilator and was originally used to treat high blood pressure.  Thus, minoxidil can thin the blood which can make surgery much messier and cause complications.  Therefore, whether you’re taking oral or topical minoxidil, the effect is similar.  Therefore, I recommend following your doctor’s pre and postoperative instructions.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

1 hour ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

SLA,

Minoxidil is a vasodilator and was originally used to treat high blood pressure.  Thus, minoxidil can thin the blood which can make surgery much messier and cause complications.  Therefore, whether you’re taking oral or topical minoxidil, the effect is similar.  Therefore, I recommend following your doctor’s pre and postoperative instructions.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Minoxidil does not "thin" the blood. Please learn the pharmacokinetics and dynamics of how medications work before disseminating false information. Especially, being a representative of a hair restoration clinic. 

• Like 2

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts