My surgery with Dr Couto September 2022

Prof101

The surgery is in a week, but I am heading to Spain tomorrow and since I have some time and a question, I decided to create a thread like this I can update post-surgery. 

The plan is for 3K in the frontal/top zone, and go back in a year for crown. Since I do not have a dense donor, we agreed that he will not push my hairline forward, but he will fill in the gutter area well.  He said he will see how much he is willing to put in the crown once we have the results from the first. 

I attached some Photos. 

I have been stable for about 6 years now. 

Question: I usually comb my hair from left to right, it is the style that fits me most. Would it make sense in that case to tell him to economize on the right gutter (where sides meet top) since it will mostly be hidden? I am not talking about something extreme that if someone saw me take a shower would guess it is a HT, but more like some reasonable asymmetry that I am willing to tolerate to leave more grafts for crown

I am nervous as f$$k. Just happen to have come across a sub-par result from Couto posted here a month or so ago, after having seen 50 that are great. 

Will update you ... 

I attached a bunch of pics some with soft light and other with harsh light ...(There are two where I am facing a window, one early in the morning, the other early afternoon, which exposes my full baldness). 

All of them except one are from this year. But again my hair has not gotten worse. If I compare with 2017, I am pretty much the same. It is just that the light exposure obviously makes a lot of difference. 

1237092032_IMG_33022.thumb.jpeg.dc40077b521e45d5ef160aa6338235a5.jpeg

IMG-4803.thumb.JPEG.26f6b8e04aae40be66c8ffebd1175e2f.JPEG

IMG_2665.JPG

IMG_2679.JPG

IMG_2219.JPG

IMG_2874.jpg

Edited by Prof101
  • Like 1

Was hoping someone would answer my question: 

Question: I usually comb my hair from left to right, it is the style that fits me most. Would it make sense in that case to tell him to economize on the right gutter (where sides meet top) since it will mostly be hidden? I am not talking about something extreme that if someone saw me take a shower would guess it is a HT, but more like some reasonable asymmetry that I am willing to tolerate to leave more grafts for crown

• Like 1

I just had a 2400 FUE HT with Dr Couto last month. From your photos it looks like you have good Donor, you diddnt state if you are on Meds, but at 42, wothbyour hair characterisyics and your Donor it looks as if you will get great coverage from 2 passes as the Dr stated, 3k frontal 3rd and then a year later perhaps another 2500-3000 for crown and thickening up any spots.  Doesnt look as if you may need to strategize certain sides.  Best of luck!  

1 hour ago, Ffx305 said:

I just had a 2400 FUE HT with Dr Couto last month. From your photos it looks like you have good Donor, you diddnt state if you are on Meds, but at 42, wothbyour hair characterisyics and your Donor it looks as if you will get great coverage from 2 passes as the Dr stated, 3k frontal 3rd and then a year later perhaps another 2500-3000 for crown and thickening up any spots.  Doesnt look as if you may need to strategize certain sides.  Best of luck!  

Thanks. Hopefully your procedure went well man. I do not have 6K donor, at best 4.5. So I will see what he says. 

OK, to finally your answer your question. Yes, that seems to be a good strategy. HT is about providing most visual impact from the finite donor regions. If you comb your hair from left to right a vast majority of time then you should consider it. Having hair everywhere on the head including the crown looks better than having uniform density in the frontal area and a sparse bald-looking crown. Ask Dr Couto about your strategy.

My donor is actually not that strong - but has some characteristics to compensate weaknesses. 

I have an unlimited supply of body and beard hair. 

Not a big fan of beard to recipient approach however, but beard hair for fit farming is something I have in mind as a plan B/C... 

The quality of some of the hair on my body is much better than beard (straighter, smoother, and has FUs of 2 hairs, ...) 

Edited by Prof101

On 9/9/2022 at 7:14 PM, Prof101 said:

Was hoping someone would answer my question: 

Question: I usually comb my hair from left to right, it is the style that fits me most. Would it make sense in that case to tell him to economize on the right gutter (where sides meet top) since it will mostly be hidden? I am not talking about something extreme that if someone saw me take a shower would guess it is a HT, but more like some reasonable asymmetry that I am willing to tolerate to leave more grafts for crown

You're going to a great doctor, why would you ask a bunch of random people on an internet forum? Just talk over your questions/concerns with him before the surgery. That's what you're paying him for. Good surgeons like Couto do a lot more than just throw some grafts on your head, they understand everything about reinforcing exposed areas due to hair style/length/direction, etc.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, shadowcast said:

You're going to a great doctor, why would you ask a bunch of random people on an internet forum? Just talk over your questions/concerns with him before the surgery. That's what you're paying him for. Good surgeons like Couto do a lot more than just throw some grafts on your head, they understand everything about reinforcing exposed areas due to hair style/length/direction, etc.

+10000000 Exactly this. Just ASK Dr COUTO everything there is that you need or want to know, what an opportunity you have! Oh, and then please, SHARE all that knowledge you get from him here in the Forum with us, Ok? 

Your case is really interesting. Please, share updates and photos, would be great to follow this case.

• 1 month later...

Honestly, and no offense to you, there is no one better in this planet to recommend you best strategy for giving best illusion of density than Couto. I would just trust blindly his opinion and consider your opinion to be worse in this aspect 😄

Just tell him your thoughts and ideas and he will recommend something appropiate.

Edited by WhereIsMyMind
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...