Is there any hope for me?

So I've tried taking finasteride because I wanted to maintain what I have and get a HT, however I got terrible ED sides which I can't accept to live with. My hair situation is on a picture.

I was watching Melvin podcast with Bisanga about oral minoxidil. I was wondering if getting PRP and Oral minoxidil could do something for me without taking fin. I also seen Dr Kostis hair transplant and he only takes oral min. When I had longer hair the back and mid didn't look too bad. Just the receding at front is insanely bad. And no - I won't shave bald anymore. I've done that and everyone tells me I look bad, even girls. I lost my confidence since then completely and I feel like completely different person.

image.thumb.png.e96d6c26a264320ff7188eeae23a5b1a.pngimage.thumb.png.93a6fcb423a651fbbf57b5b1c4bbd355.png

my hairline at 18

image.png.5cc0793858a2f0562c14fc6fa356fa65.png

1 hour ago, thetdog666 said:

Yes there is hope. I would give topical fin a try. Also low does oral minoxidil would be a good idea. I wouldn't waste my money on PRP but that's my opinion.

How old are you?

• Valued Contributor
37 minutes ago, SoSoz said:

Can you post pics of your donor? I would recommend seeing your dermatologist and discuss the use of oral minoxidil. Topical Finasteride is worth at least trying. So is micro dosing. Wishing you all the best. 

• Like 1

Oral minoxidil might be an option, but def get checked for it and if you have heart problems, I'd be careful. I got palpitations from the liquid spray.

For 24, it looks like the hairline receded and you've some diffuse thinning going on...I wouldn't do surgery now. I'd venture that most doctors will suggest that you wait 3-4 years minimum and re-assess. Far from a hopeless case anyways.

Minoxidil is only a growth enhancement therapy, after enough underlying DHT damage accumulates the hairs still go away. If you get side effect symptoms with finasteride the only other drug on a near-ish term FDA approval path is Clascoterone. A lower dosage was approved about 2 yrs ago for acne. It will be a topical and doesn't effect DHT levels. But its probably going to be fairly expensive, like $100+ a month.

Fighting hair loss without addressing DHT is possible, but there's increased risk you might run out of hair in the long term. It just comes down to how much risk you can manage in a mentally healthy way.

If you do start using minoxidil and it improves the way your hair looks alot, don't get over-confident with bigger more aggressive hair transplants. Be sure to show your doctor the pictures like these. You need to be conservative and cautiously optimistic. At only 24, while there's still alot of time to lose more hair, there's also alot of time for new research and drugs in the coming years that you can benefit from while you're still relatively young.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clascoterone

SoSoz,

As of right now, you still have a lot of natural hair on top of your scalp.   The concern I have for you is simply this. If you’re currently still losing hair and the side effects of finasteride are too much to handle, you are very likely going to continue losing more hair. Minoxidil can help somewhat and PRP may also but finasteride is going to be more potent than both of them combined most likely.  Now I don’t know how effective it really is, but have you considered using topical finasteride to see if that helps without experiencing any side effects?

If you are still losing hair and undergo hair transplant surgery without taking finasteride, you may permanently lose some of the natural hair on its way out due to surgical trauma.

Depending on your donor area, the net result may end up being an overall loss of hair or the same amount of hair you have now. The difference or advantage of course would be that the hair you’d be replacing your current hair with would be permanent and you can style it without any fear of losing it.

Now best case scenario, you get your genetic hair loss under control by using topical finasteride or a combination of minoxidil and other treatments   If you can accomplish this, you will likely end up with a net gain of overall hair if you undergo a hair transplant procedure.

But how many grafts you have a available for transplanting over the course of your lifetime ultimately depend on your donor area.

I know that Dr. Rahal has a formula to determine this… Not just how many you have a single procedure, but how many throughout the course of your lifetime over potentially multiple procedures. This obviously depends on the individual.

if you would be interested in a one on one information session with Dr. Rahal where you can openly and privately discuss your situation, ask your questions and talk about  achieving your short and long-term hair restoration goals, please feel free to send me a private message and I’ll be happy to set this up for you.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.