Excuse for wearing a surgical cap around coworkers post op to hide transplant? Sunburn maybe?

In addition to the transplant recipient area, I also have staples at the back of my head, so I plan on wearing one of those surgical caps. I just need an excuse since I'm not wanting to share I had a transplant.

I'm thinking some kind of scalp skin condition. Maybe sunburn. Maybe Psoriasis. Folliculitis seems a bit intense. Seborrheic Dermatitis also seems like a good choice.

• Valued Contributor

Folliculitis. And you had to have surgery for it. Personally, my advice is to buzz your hair about two months before a hair transplant. Send photos of what your hair normally looks like to your surgeon before this then start wearing a cap. Then after your surgery when you begin wearing a cap again no one will think any differently. 👌

• Like 2

tell them you raised your head and bumped your scalp against a door lock like these. it was open and you straigthed up very quickly, bleeded, and needed stitches. you're wearing a bandana to save them the ugly sight and waiting for things to look normal again

image.png.df34883b01eac83d14c5ed7e4d08c1b3.png

• Like 1

Brother, just tell them you had a hair transplant. Many people think that's pretty cool these days.

Alternatively, get a wig if you can't wear hats in workplace.

It will be noticeable that you had a hair transplant for 4 months minimum, usually 6+ months. You won't be hiding it for that long with a surgical hat.

• Like 4

Check out my journey here:

If you don’t want to share I think you have an answer.

i went through an airport with a bloodied head and people looked at me but were too intimidated to say anything so they stare. No one actually cares what answer you give them. 

my coworkers think I had a bad hair cut and probably think I’m balding aggressively. One of my friends thinks I got stung by a bee and got an allergic reaction, she is curious but she doesnt really care since I’ve looked like this for 2 months already.

people get used to it quick. If you don’t want to say anything don’t tell them. You wouldn’t ask someone about what happened in every scenario so if they ask tell them or say nothing.

• Like 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

I have said it before and I will say it again, “Honesty is the best policy”.

Otherwise just politely state that you prefer not to talk about it.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Bro just own it! Before my surgery I was panicking more about this than the actual procedure, literally looking for any and all excuses to give people if they asked my why my head was shaved /red.  Ended up front footing it and telling my colleagues I had a HT -  everyone was so supportive, kind and curious. We need to end the stigma - its 2022! Good luck :) 

• Like 1

Don't wear a surgical cap back to work. Wear a loose fitting baseball cap instead. You will look normal and your nosy co-workers won't bother you.

When I had my first hair transplant in 2019, I wore a baseball cap to work everyday for the first 6 months. Then I continue to wear it often to this day so people would not be suspicious that I had a HT.

• Like 2

Dude, tell EVERYONE.

It takes a lot of balls and determination to research and go through with a successful HT. We are working hard to reclaim something that was unjustly taken from us. 

You know when a fat dude shapes up and everybody cheers them on? It's the exact same thing with hair man. Be proud of yourself. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Yan bio said:

tell them you raised your head and bumped your scalp against a door lock like these. it was open and you straigthed up very quickly, bleeded, and needed stitches. you're wearing a bandana to save them the ugly sight and waiting for things to look normal again

image.png.df34883b01eac83d14c5ed7e4d08c1b3.png

I'll go with this one 

• Like 1

Like @Fue3361 said, it’s going to be noticeable for 5+ months minimum pretty much. So wearing a bandana for that long might not make sense or be desirable. Best to wear a hat if possible. I’m not suggesting you tell people, but at least make your lie easy on yourself. 

wear a hat if you can. if you cant, then keep a buzz cut. 

grow facial hair, wear nice clothes, anything to take one's focus away from the scalp.

in the end no one cares about this but you. when ive been in this situation ive just told relevant coworkers and no one cared. 

Edited by HappyMan2021