Scheduled & ready for Eugenix...expectations?

general-etwan

So after several months of planning thanks to a lot of the information I found on this forum, I am about ready to go and have my hair transplant at Eugenix the second week of September. I have been nothing but impressed with the results I have seen them deliver especially for high-Norwood individuals like me, and the much more affordable cost compared to North American clinics that I have been able to put together and plan for...it all represents an opportunity that I will not find anywhere else, with as much integrity and high-quality care, at this point in my young life (I'm 26). I am scheduled for the exclusive package with Dr. Das for an estimated 6000-6500 total grafts including up to 2000 from beard.

Planning all of the logistics traveling from the eastern USA has been exhausting enough but I am very circumspect and complete in my research and planning; but now it's time that I'm starting to think about more specific expectations. Obviously, our final plan will occur during the evaluation and design with Dr. Das when I arrive, but I'm hoping to maybe get some high quality info and expected ideas of what I should be prepared for and make sure I don't expect something unrealistic.

NW classification: 6 pattern, although some regrowth has put me in the direction of potentially a visual 5
History: lost pretty much all hair on top by age 23-24, so extremely young and quickly. Did not attempt to treat until age 25.
Finasteride: 8 months, 4 days/week. Has resulted in definite regrowth at the top of the sides of the head (the edges of the ring pattern), which has hopefully decreased the overall area that needs to be completely covered. 
Minoxidil: Have used off-and-on; it definitely helps a little but I do not like using it on the top of the scalp because it makes my skin look worse and older.

I have asked Eugenix to be as aggressive as possible (while still within ethics of course) because I do believe that this one large 2-day procedure could be satisfactory for me to the point where I don't have another one, or at least not anytime soon after. I do not need a perfect NW 0-looking situation; I desire simply a good amount of hair back on top of the scalp so that my face can be properly framed and I can look more my age and stop relying on hats in my everyday life.

Here is a picture of the crown area. All the area circled in red was previously destined for slick bald, but has thickened and regrown a bit on finasteride. However, the density is still much less than the donor area of course. Still, from a distance, I think it has visual potential. 
1436396751_IMG-3213-Copy.thumb.JPG.210a83442d0c5a9f13ba46a66e6c3e48.JPG

Pictures of current situation in non-harsh lighting below (this is key because in most normal lighting, not super-harsh, the edges of the balding area have been looking nice since starting on finasteride. From a distance, that area looks covered in hair still, so that's a helpful illusion and will hopefully decrease the number of grafts needed to be placed in those areas.) Here, the area circled in red is that area that technically isn't as dense as my permanent donor hair area but from a distance looks not too bad. I have drawn two potential hairlines that I would expect to be options; one more conservative with no temple work and the other more aggressive with temple work. I look forward to discussing which is smarter to pursue with Dr. Das; I'm sure part of the decision will be based on possible overall density with each hairline, and perhaps the best option will be somewhere between the two.
265312134_IMG-4517-Copy.JPG.205fcb2ef8e2394f74f801577c3b64b7.JPG1424444600_IMG-4516-Copy.JPG.2285483fd73a0d1eefb7d9762373fa76.JPG

Below is a picture in extremely harsh lighting, of course, with three potential options for hairlines and the circled area that I anticipate will need coverage:
710412833_IMG-3488-Copy.thumb.jpg.0cb4c542f3c4f4152f2177c0ae33c834.jpg

And finally, my beard donor area:
IMG_4430.thumb.jpg.4d21a097c31df220dddf7e79d0a63286.jpg1224939957_IMG_4431-Copy.thumb.jpg.b00b6ae61a38b7a1e13e8c5a7cb41a04.jpg

I believe that if we can get 4,000 grafts from the scalp donor that will be very miraculous. I've asked Eugenix to be aggressive, as I am a believer in using SMP to cover donor area if it ends up thinning out too much, and hair on the top of my head is significantly more important to me than on the back, as long as things look overall uniform. 

I'm hopeful that 1,000-2,000 beard grafts can be used to help cover the crown area. I'm a bit nervous about the beard are being worked on, but I understand I am doing a trade here and accept that.

I wish to have as uniform density as possible across the top of the scalp. I do not want to leave the crown area completely as is and place all the hair at the front. However, I understand it's about math: if uniform density from front to back would leave the overall density too weak to look acceptable, I will have to agree to focus most of the hair towards the front and place less on the crown area. I do not know if they will be able to reconstruct temples on me or if it would be a wise use of grafts. I guess that's a conversation we'll have.

As an additional precise question about artistic design: can Eugenix construct cowlicks, and would it be possible to have that done and look good? As a child I had a natural cowlick at the front of my hairline on the right side, which hairdressers always teased me about but that I actually liked and thought was cool and will enquire if it's something Dr. Das could do well or whether it would just look bizarre reconstructed. In theory all it would require is creating slits and implanting the hair pointing upward and a little backward in a slight oval shape (you can see the swirl).
1168640457_-storage-emulated-0-DCIM-Camera-20190621-231429-Copy2.thumb.JPG.ab1fe80430a88e5446da454f8e86b247.JPG

Thank you to anyone who wishes to chime in. I am nervous about embarking on this journey but I trust myself to know I will be prepared, and I feel confident that I'm choosing a world-class clinic that can deliver a solid result for me.

Good luck with your travel and procedure man.  As for the design, I would imagine something perhaps in-between the two designs you created on the picture I screenshot as far as a hairline might be plausible.  And probably no temple points as you're going to want to use every graft possible to give you as much density as possible everywhere else.

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 12.00.55 AM.png

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

You will be fine @general-etwan. Eugenix are masters of the use of beard grafts and you appear to have a really strong beard. As to the hairline design, remember that this hairline will be for life and you want it to look natural not just at 26, but also at 36, 46, 56, etc. I'm sure between you and Dr Das you will both come up with the best choice in your case. Eugenix are also brilliant in donor cosmosis so in the future there will always be something left in the bank. You will have a ball there. Trust me. Wishing you all the best!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your donor area looks very limited. I am not sure what kind of a result Eugenix can achieve but in any case you should have realistic expectations. 

I assume that just shaving your head shorter is not an option as you're heading for a HT? It seems to me that you have the looks and shape of head to do it. 

It seems that you have retrograde alopecia on the back plus Your donor is quite short on the back, so it means limited donor...As a result you need conservative hairline height and no temple work, in order to save more grafts for the top part of your head

• Like 2

8 hours ago, general-etwan said:

So after several months of planning thanks to a lot of the information I found on this forum, I am about ready to go and have my hair transplant at Eugenix the second week of September. I have been nothing but impressed with the results I have seen them deliver especially for high-Norwood individuals like me, and the much more affordable cost compared to North American clinics that I have been able to put together and plan for...it all represents an opportunity that I will not find anywhere else, with as much integrity and high-quality care, at this point in my young life (I'm 26). I am scheduled for the exclusive package with Dr. Das for an estimated 6000-6500 total grafts including up to 2000 from beard.

Planning all of the logistics traveling from the eastern USA has been exhausting enough but I am very circumspect and complete in my research and planning; but now it's time that I'm starting to think about more specific expectations. Obviously, our final plan will occur during the evaluation and design with Dr. Das when I arrive, but I'm hoping to maybe get some high quality info and expected ideas of what I should be prepared for and make sure I don't expect something unrealistic.

NW classification: 6 pattern, although some regrowth has put me in the direction of potentially a visual 5
History: lost pretty much all hair on top by age 23-24, so extremely young and quickly. Did not attempt to treat until age 25.
Finasteride: 8 months, 4 days/week. Has resulted in definite regrowth at the top of the sides of the head (the edges of the ring pattern), which has hopefully decreased the overall area that needs to be completely covered. 
Minoxidil: Have used off-and-on; it definitely helps a little but I do not like using it on the top of the scalp because it makes my skin look worse and older.

I have asked Eugenix to be as aggressive as possible (while still within ethics of course) because I do believe that this one large 2-day procedure could be satisfactory for me to the point where I don't have another one, or at least not anytime soon after. I do not need a perfect NW 0-looking situation; I desire simply a good amount of hair back on top of the scalp so that my face can be properly framed and I can look more my age and stop relying on hats in my everyday life.

Here is a picture of the crown area. All the area circled in red was previously destined for slick bald, but has thickened and regrown a bit on finasteride. However, the density is still much less than the donor area of course. Still, from a distance, I think it has visual potential. 

Pictures of current situation in non-harsh lighting below (this is key because in most normal lighting, not super-harsh, the edges of the balding area have been looking nice since starting on finasteride. From a distance, that area looks covered in hair still, so that's a helpful illusion and will hopefully decrease the number of grafts needed to be placed in those areas.) Here, the area circled in red is that area that technically isn't as dense as my permanent donor hair area but from a distance looks not too bad. I have drawn two potential hairlines that I would expect to be options; one more conservative with no temple work and the other more aggressive with temple work. I look forward to discussing which is smarter to pursue with Dr. Das; I'm sure part of the decision will be based on possible overall density with each hairline, and perhaps the best option will be somewhere between the two.
265312134_IMG-4517-Copy.JPG.205fcb2ef8e2394f74f801577c3b64b7.JPG1424444600_IMG-4516-Copy.JPG.2285483fd73a0d1eefb7d9762373fa76.JPG

Below is a picture in extremely harsh lighting, of course, with three potential options for hairlines and the circled area that I anticipate will need coverage:

IMG_4430.thumb.jpg.4d21a097c31df220dddf7e79d0a63286.jpg1224939957_IMG_4431-Copy.thumb.jpg.b00b6ae61a38b7a1e13e8c5a7cb41a04.jpg

I believe that if we can get 4,000 grafts from the scalp donor that will be very miraculous. I've asked Eugenix to be aggressive, as I am a believer in using SMP to cover donor area if it ends up thinning out too much, and hair on the top of my head is significantly more important to me than on the back, as long as things look overall uniform. 

I'm hopeful that 1,000-2,000 beard grafts can be used to help cover the crown area. I'm a bit nervous about the beard are being worked on, but I understand I am doing a trade here and accept that.

I wish to have as uniform density as possible across the top of the scalp. I do not want to leave the crown area completely as is and place all the hair at the front. However, I understand it's about math: if uniform density from front to back would leave the overall density too weak to look acceptable, I will have to agree to focus most of the hair towards the front and place less on the crown area. I do not know if they will be able to reconstruct temples on me or if it would be a wise use of grafts. I guess that's a conversation we'll have.

As an additional precise question about artistic design: can Eugenix construct cowlicks, and would it be possible to have that done and look good? As a child I had a natural cowlick at the front of my hairline on the right side, which hairdressers always teased me about but that I actually liked and thought was cool and will enquire if it's something Dr. Das could do well or whether it would just look bizarre reconstructed. In theory all it would require is creating slits and implanting the hair pointing upward and a little backward in a slight oval shape (you can see the swirl).
1168640457_-storage-emulated-0-DCIM-Camera-20190621-231429-Copy2.thumb.JPG.ab1fe80430a88e5446da454f8e86b247.JPG

Thank you to anyone who wishes to chime in. I am nervous about embarking on this journey but I trust myself to know I will be prepared, and I feel confident that I'm choosing a world-class clinic that can deliver a solid result for me.

Greetings of the day, 

Thank you for showcasing your confidence in Eugenix Hair Sciences. Just Relax, Relax, Relax, and follow the post-operation advice. Enjoy your stay in India. 

We hope to see you soon. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Eugenix Hair Sciences said:

Greetings of the day, 

Thank you for showcasing your confidence in Eugenix Hair Sciences. Just Relax, Relax, Relax, and follow the post-operation advice. Enjoy your stay in India. 

We hope to see you soon. 

What is your view about the limited donor though? At his age and aggressive MPB, does not the patient need to commit to Fin for life? II am sorry but it does not seem like the patient has realtistic expectations or is fully informed. 

OP I will be honest with you, at your young age I think you are very likely to go to norwood 7. Your back is receding upwards (retrograde alopecia) and while fin has provided some whispy hairs, those do not look suitable to be used for transplantation.

I think your hairline is too aggressively low for your level of loss, I would go for the higher hairline and try to get better density because in that case at least your hair will be somewhat stylable, otherwise it will be to thin and you will be stuck to have a buzzcut, which may be a decent option if you combine it with smp down the road.

19 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

OP I will be honest with you, at your young age I think you are very likely to go to norwood 7. Your back is receding upwards (retrograde alopecia) and while fin has provided some whispy hairs, those do not look suitable to be used for transplantation.

I think your hairline is too aggressively low for your level of loss, I would go for the higher hairline and try to get better density because in that case at least your hair will be somewhat stylable, otherwise it will be to thin and you will be stuck to have a buzzcut, which may be a decent option if you combine it with smp down the road.

Correct me if i am wrong, but i have seen an excellent couple of NW7 cases with similar difficulties of @Dr. Felipe Pittella and the results were amazing. So for highly skilled surgeons and team, i think it would be feasible.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lunch_owl said:

Correct me if i am wrong, but i have seen an excellent couple of NW7 cases with similar difficulties of @Dr. Felipe Pittella and the results were amazing. So for highly skilled surgeons and team, i think it would be feasible.

It is possible yes, I guess I'm a little bit risk averse but hopefully OP is taking the best possible package at Eugenix to minimize the risk.

15 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

It is possible yes, I guess I'm a little bit risk averse but hopefully OP is taking the best possible package at Eugenix to minimize the risk.

Indeed. With high nw cases like me and op and limited donor capacity, its crucial we get it right the first time. 

• Administrators

Are you on any medication? Because to save this area it’s crucial 

image.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

12 hours ago, general-etwan said:

Wow 2 days for all that. Personally I think that’s too much at once. But I guess the staff is large enough to support this. 

if you don’t mind me asking what made you choose eugenix is it based off price, skill, etc? And have you considered FUT if you do smp you could technically cover up the scar to some degree. 

I think given your age and how aggressive your hair loss has been you’ll be able to cover a lot of loss that most of us can’t anticipate. 

i wish the best result for you man and good luck with your future op!

• Like 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

7 hours ago, Mike10 said:

Your donor area looks very limited. I am not sure what kind of a result Eugenix can achieve but in any case you should have realistic expectations. 

I assume that just shaving your head shorter is not an option as you're heading for a HT? It seems to me that you have the looks and shape of head to do it. 

I don't have the largest donor area we've seen for sure. I had shaved my head for several years and ultimately decided it is not sufficient; my head shape isn't bad but I am very pale, the horseshoe ring pattern requires essentially daily maintenance, and it is simply a hassle to handle, just like my time wearing hair systems was (which I did for about 8 months). The hair all around the sides and back of my head is still always visible, so no amount of buzzing down or shaving looks good on me unfortunately. I was existentially unsatisfied and will not be satisfied having no hairline as a young man.

6 hours ago, Gramatik said:

It seems that you have retrograde alopecia on the back plus Your donor is quite short on the back, so it means limited donor...As a result you need conservative hairline height and no temple work, in order to save more grafts for the top part of your head

No major retrograde alopecia on the back. I have the back buzz faded upward which produces that look sometimes, but below is a picture with uniform length when I grew it out slightly longer when I was wearing systems for a while. I saw one of the most extreme hair loss cases ever in John Cross get temple work as a NW7; however I agree it's not super high on my list of priorities, and John sacrificed crown area coverage for that temple work with the idea of exploring a second procedure in the future for the crown...I don't know if I'll want to do that. Plus, finasteride + minoxidil might be able to keep my temple areas reasonable best case scenario.
IMG-1187.JPG.11b908c5abdc032c64359c71d2cf0d36.JPG

5 hours ago, Mike10 said:

What is your view about the limited donor though? At his age and aggressive MPB, does not the patient need to commit to Fin for life? II am sorry but it does not seem like the patient has realtistic expectations or is fully informed. 

I am on full finasteride, committed to it, and the stopping of loss and regrowth I've gotten from it so far has been positive. I'd even take dutasteride if it would recover even more considering no major sides from finasteride. I am very informed, I assure you.

5 hours ago, asterix0 said:

As stated above, no retrograde alopecia on the back. I have the back faded. I do have some retrograde alopecia on the sides right around the ears but that area is limited, has been stable since my late teens, and is only visible when buzzing the hair super short. I indeed have a NW 7 genetic pattern but was already there at age 23-24; the regrowth I've seen from fin and min has given me reason to believe the worst has already been reached.

Those wispy regrown hairs from finasteride won't be used for transplantation; the point is they have regrown in some areas that were getting slick bald before and now those areas hopefully won't need nearly as much attention.

I too anticipate that the higher hairline or something close to it will give me better density, surely. Ultimately I may need to buzz my hair fairly short for a period of time for a career opportunity that I anticipate, but that's to deal with when the time comes. 

4 hours ago, asterix0 said:

Package details stated in the post. Can't afford highest package, unfortunately, but I have no reason to be anything but confident and trusting in Dr. Das to generate good work.

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Are you on any medication? Because to save this area it’s crucial 

Stated in the post.

2 hours ago, Vann said:

Wow 2 days for all that. Personally I think that’s too much at once. But I guess the staff is large enough to support this. 

if you don’t mind me asking what made you choose eugenix is it based off price, skill, etc? And have you considered FUT if you do smp you could technically cover up the scar to some degree. 

I think given your age and how aggressive your hair loss has been you’ll be able to cover a lot of loss that most of us can’t anticipate. 

i wish the best result for you man and good luck with your future op!

Big job for sure...Eugenix likes to do these 2-day sessions on large procedures. After months of research I don't see better work or results from any other clinic particularly im high-Norwood cases. There are tons of cases online that you can look up where NW 3-4s have hair transplants at clinics and their results are seriously mediocre to the point where the improvement is very minor. I wouldn't entrust a clinic like that for a high-Norwood case. I do know that FUT was once the preferred method for high-Norwood cases but I've seen some absolutely vicious scars from FUT, and I haven't been convinced that it is still the superior method even for a high-Norwood case. I don't see the math of how more grafts would be available from that vs the FUE technology of today where they can utilize the back and up the sides of the head.

Edited by general-etwan

3 minutes ago, general-etwan said:

I don't have the largest donor area we've seen for sure. I had shaved my head for several years and ultimately decided it is not sufficient; my head shape isn't bad but I am very pale, the horseshoe ring pattern requires essentially daily maintenance, and it is simply a hassle to handle, just like my time wearing hair systems was (which I did for about 8 months). The hair all around the sides and back of my head is still always visible, so no amount of buzzing down or shaving looks good on me unfortunately. I was existentially unsatisfied and will not be satisfied having no hairline as a young man.

No major retrograde alopecia on the back. I have the back buzz faded upward which produces that look sometimes, but below is a picture with uniform length when I grew it out slightly longer when I was wearing systems for a while. I saw one of the most extreme hair loss cases ever in John Cross get temple work as a NW7; however I agree it's not super high on my list of priorities, and John sacrificed crown area coverage for that temple work with the idea of exploring a second procedure in the future for the crown...I don't know if I'll want to do that. Plus, finasteride + minoxidil might be able to keep my temple areas reasonable best case scenario.

I am on full finasteride, committed to it, and the stopping of loss and regrowth I've gotten from it so far has been positive. I'd even take dutasteride if it would recover even more considering no major sides from finasteride. I am very informed, I assure you.

As stated above, no retrograde alopecia on the back. I have the back faded. I do have some retrograde alopecia on the sides right around the ears but that area is limited, has been stable since my late teens, and is only visible when buzzing the hair super short. I indeed have a NW 7 genetic pattern but was already there at age 23-24; the regrowth I've seen from fin and min has given me reason to believe the worst has already been reached.

Those wispy regrown hairs from finasteride won't be used for transplantation; the point is they have regrown in some areas that were getting slick bald before and now those areas hopefully won't need nearly as much attention.

I too anticipate that the higher hairline or something close to it will give me better density, surely. Ultimately I may need to buzz my hair fairly short for a period of time for a career opportunity that I anticipate, but that's to deal with when the time comes. 

Package details stated in the post. Can't afford highest package, unfortunately, but I have no reason to be anything but confident and trusting in Dr. Das to generate good work.

Stated in the post.

Big job for sure...Eugenix likes to do these 2-day sessions on large procedures. After months of research I don't see better work or results from any other clinic particularly im high-Norwood cases. There are tons of cases online that you can look up where NW 3-4s have hair transplants at clinics and their results are seriously mediocre to the point where the improvement is very minor. I wouldn't entrust a clinic like that for a high-Norwood case. I do know that FUT was once the preferred method for high-Norwood cases but I've seen some absolutely vicious scars from FUT, and I haven't been convinced that it is still the superior method even for a high-Norwood case. I don't see the math of how more grafts would be available from that vs the FUE technology of today where they can utilize the back and up the sides of the head.

There more surface area per square cm of hair thats taken out because youre going to take everything in that strip. Therefore, you have more to work with than FUE because if you did the same way youd have only one area of harvest. Overall, it seems like you know what you want. I wish you the best!

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

17 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

The beard could probably give 4000 grafts.

That many? Perhaps it could, that's a lottt...wouldn't that deplete the beard area? I'm okay thinning out the beard area a bit and trading for head hair but not taking it all away.

9 minutes ago, Vann said:

There more surface area per square cm of hair thats taken out because youre going to take everything in that strip. Therefore, you have more to work with than FUE because if you did the same way youd have only one area of harvest. Overall, it seems like you know what you want. I wish you the best!

Makes sense, thank you. Just for me at this point, I will likely wear my hair very short especially on the back and sides and so the scar is something I prefer to avoid and since we can use a good amount of beard hair, that's the catch-up if you will.

Here is a picture of another person; not me, whose hairline is what I would considering maturing for a young 20s individual. You can also see he has retrograde alopecia on the sides, but it's not a big deal at all, not noticeable with longer hair and not something I care about personally either. Obviously, this person still has good natural density across the top, but the hairline is surely heightened, and the retrograde alopecia is there. But if I were able to get even remotely close to a hairline/situation like this, it would be a miracle...even if the back ends up looking thinned out. I mean it when I say don't care much about the back. So I will surely be requesting as much to be used as possible from the entirety of the donor area.

503785608_IMG-4327-Copy.PNG.091e087e3af315e849634422c4affc1a.PNG838079545_IMG_4443-Copy.jpg.a0c5d4b9c9070f3c6bcdcda47ca405c0.jpg1391603439_IMG-4329-Copy.PNG.8fb777637858b6131f6acee1078f58b2.PNG

The information you find about beard is that usually it can provide 3000 to 5000 grafts. I think it does deplete it quite a bit tough. But this is a general info, and I do think your beard is above average. Not much but still.

Many men don't even have beard on their cheeks, some don't even have under the chin, but I know people that have way above average, with beard all over the neck, down Adam's apple, that's crazy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, general-etwan said:

Stated in the post.

You're talking about hassle.My point is if it is ok for you with a shaved head and you can live with it, then go for it. It is an easy choice. 

You're heading towards a  NW7 at just 26. Even if it is a home run, which everybody assumes here (by watching pics on websites), it will look ok depending on the light and it wil look subpar in day-sun light. What the hell will you do when your sides drop and if Fin loses effectiveness. You will be fXXXed cause you do not have no more donor. I hope for you you have giving all this appropriate.  consideration. 

You'are in my view not a good HT candidate because you have limited donor and you'r dependant on Fin. I am going to call it how I see it no matter what the clinic is 

Edited by Mike10