Dave Portnoy Shocked By 21 Year Olds Hairline *My Reaction

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor

I saw this video on YouTube by you Melvin. My heart dropped watching it. I know his teens in high school would have been hell for him. You know and one thing that is sad today is that hair loss is the last bastion that is 'ok' to shame. Try fat shaming, gender shaming, etc and you could find yourself on the end of a law suit if someone wanted to go to the extreme. But bald shaming still prevails which is really sad. I feel for this young guy and hope he's coping through his own humour, etc. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, deeznuts said:

Not really related to the video but your results look amazing wow

Thanks got my 8 month update tomorrow.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

I saw this video on YouTube by you Melvin. My heart dropped watching it. I know his teens in high school would have been hell for him. You know and one thing that is sad today is that hair loss is the last bastion that is 'ok' to shame. Try fat shaming, gender shaming, etc and you could find yourself on the end of a law suit if someone wanted to go to the extreme. But bald shaming still prevails which is really sad. I feel for this young guy and hope he's coping through his own humour, etc. Thanks for sharing!

It’s almost like bald shaming is instilled in kids from a young age… a couple cartoons come to mind, SpongeBob SquarePants movie with King Neptune being taunted for his baldness/lack of crown, as well as his denial about it only being “thinning” (which I hate to admit but is actually pretty funny). Another example I can think of is fairly odd parents, one episode where tummy turner wishes to be an adult and cries about how awful it is to not have hair.

i used to take it pretty personally when my cousins would make fun of me, like they should know that’s a line you don’t cross, but you’re right it really isn’t an “out of bounds” insult largely speaking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

I feel like that’s because there’s a lot of politics involved with those while baldness doesn’t. Don’t want to derail so I won’t go into details but just to explain what I mean, gender shaming is associated with lgbt and they’re extremely powerful these days, fat shaming has to do with feminists movement/trans movement.

Baldness is men specific and men just don’t care to push it as a right or get political with it. 

Good thing is we have options now 

• Like 2

I also agree it is a shame and nowadays kids do the “hairline check” thing and always are so quick to point out balding. Most things in this life are not genetically factored, someone can lose weight if they work hard for it(though I will admit that is not an easy undertaking) but being bald and being short are two things that get made fun of a lot and I have no idea why because neither are a controllable factor!

7 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

I have no idea why because neither are a controllable factor!

It’s because nobody cares about men and men’s issues, beyond other men. I’m certainly no blackpill/incel/whatever but it is true that mens self image issues are more or less scoffed at while there are all kinds of movements for women/trans/etc. there is a stigma with men seeking help when depressed, way more men commit suicide than any other demographic, men are taught to just shrug it off instead of talking about it, the list goes on. With that said I’m glad I was born a male as there are, in my opinion, other advantages that override this. But the point remains, nobody really cares if mens insecurities are exploited on a large scale. I’m not trying to be “political” or whatever, just simply pointing out reality in media, pop culture, society.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Savemyhairline said:

It’s because nobody cares about men and men’s issues, beyond other men. I’m certainly no blackpill/incel/whatever but it is true that mens self image issues are more or less scoffed at while there are all kinds of movements for women/trans/etc. there is a stigma with men seeking help when depressed, way more men commit suicide than any other demographic, men are taught to just shrug it off instead of talking about it, the list goes on. With that said I’m glad I was born a male as there are, in my opinion, other advantages that override this. But the point remains, nobody really cares if mens insecurities are exploited on a large scale. I’m not trying to be “political” or whatever, just simply pointing out reality in media, pop culture, society.

Yes I agree without going into it fully and showing emotion but men and women have life very hard. I just don’t understand why society likes to put down others so much. If being bald was something society praised more off than the Hair Restoration industry probably would not be as massive either!

Look at any given movie, Netflix show, etc.  Damn near every man of any non elderly age is a strong NW2 or less and often times baldness (George Costanza much) is an openly mocked trait in the few that possess it.  Good to see Portnoy can crap on some unlucky 21 year old while he's not lecturing the rest of us about how the Supreme Court should interpret the constitutionality of cases.

Edited by John1991
  • Like 3

The kids hairline is definitely affected really heavily by MPB but, let's not forget, he personally approached Dave for a review and Dave being Dave, did it in the way he would.

Now, it's true what all of you have said above that Men's issues are joked off including by men generally but i wouldn't always say its malicious but sometimes just the coping mechanism guys use with others too. However, if somebody was in a serious conversation and they did that, we can all agree the person is being a piece of crap. 

In that guys case, he could probably do with shaving it off tbh if he doesn't plan to use medication or get a HT

The current climate of Tik Tok, Instagram etc. imo has just made it much worse for men but also women. The difference is i guess that the double standards of body acceptance have become more geared towards women in mainstream media BUT they had it worse in the first place. Guys were overweight and on television etc. and seen as "the funny fat guy" or whatever. So yes, men aren't as well off but we didn't get massively ridiculed in the first place as women were judged. That said, all people need to aim for a healthy lifestyle for themselves to not just look good but operate their bodies in the best ways. Losing weight is definitely a challenge, but one well worth pursuing for yourself. I'm currently trying to stay active and get in shape, it's not been easy but once o got started it's becoming easier. 

Hair loss is like that too, it's a journey that takes patience, consistency and dedication to keep on the path sometimes when you feel down. 

Men's Issues are unfortunately under represented and in some cases ridiculed, but we have ourselves to blame for some of that sometimes too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NARMAK said:

BUT they had it worse in the first place. Guys were overweight and on television etc. and seen as "the funny fat guy" or whatever. So yes, men aren't as well off but we didn't get massively ridiculed in the first place as women were judged.

What are you talking about? Every bad guy in movies is bald or fat. 

18 minutes ago, LookMaxx said:

What are you talking about? Every bad guy in movies is bald or fat. 

Wrong. 

There are stereotypes of villains in movies, but they don't always follow those. Killmonger in Black Panther  he's not fat and bald. He's jacked and got hair. 

Iron Man 3, Guy Pearce and others too. 

You're reaching if you think that they're always as you said. 

49 minutes ago, NickJ said:

If I was him at that age I would've looked into SMP probably

The fight to keep hair would be a really tough one

SMP is a rough one though if you go to the wrong person. Fouseytube is a good YouTuber as an example when it goes wrong. 

19 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

SMP is a rough one though if you go to the wrong person. Fouseytube is a good YouTuber as an example when it goes wrong. 

Didnt know him so I checked

LMAO yes that's pretty awful, but with good SMP artist I saw very convincing results

Screenshot 2022-09-01 at 14.02.24.png

• Like 1

I feel sorry for this dude, but my honest adivce to him would be:

1. SHAVE IT OFF!

2. Get the beard in shape

3. Loose some weight

He would be in a much better position than now.

I fear that MEDS + Hair transplant would more harm his appearance instead of improve it, as it will look sparse as hell. 

Edited by didu911
  • Like 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, didu911 said:

I feel sorry for this dude, but my honest adivce to him would be:

1. SHAVE IT OFF!

2. Get the beard in shape

3. Loose some weight

He would be in a much better position than now.

I fear that MEDS + Hair transplant would more harm his appearance instead of improve it, as it will look sparse as hell. 

I would say shaving is probably the safest option. But at 21 damn, I would be tempted to get a hair system. At that age, it’s an absolute catastrophe to be bald. Most will assume it’s a disease like Portnoy. It’s funny how different society views alopecia areata vs. genetic alopecia. One garners sympathy and a wig is welcomed, while the other garners ridicule for wearing a hair system. 

• Like 3

View my thread

40 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I would say shaving is probably the safest option. But at 21 damn, I would be tempted to get a hair system. At that age, it’s an absolute catastrophe to be bald. Most will assume it’s a disease like Portnoy. It’s funny how different society views alopecia areata vs. genetic alopecia. One garners sympathy and a wig is welcomed, while the other garners ridicule for wearing a hair system. 

True words, I was a Norwood 5 with 23 already and it hit me hard, so I can really relate. 

I would rather have had alopecia areata, than MPB. Hair transplant journey with a high Norwood is no fun at the end:

Spending thousands of dollars to end up with scars and thin hair.It never ends…

Nevermind… This guy has good facial features, and he can still do a lot to level up his appearance.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, didu911 said:

True words, I was a Norwood 5 with 23 already and it hit me hard, so I can really relate. 

I would rather have had alopecia areata, than MPB. Hair transplant journey with a high Norwood is no fun at the end:

Spending thousands of dollars to end up with scars and thin hair.It never ends…

Nevermind… This guy has good facial features, and he can still do a lot to level up his appearance.

Out of curiosity, how many HT's have you gotten? And how many grafts were they each

Also, did anyone notice this guy looks a lot like Tim Pool, both in his Norwood level and his facial features?

It's always bothered me that Kevin Mann targets Tim Pool so much. Real bully behavior to target someone for seemingly no reason even if they are a "public figure". At least the guy in the Portnoy video requested he be roasted. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Also, did anyone notice this guy looks a lot like Tim Pool, both in his Norwood level and his facial features?

It's always bothered me that Kevin Mann targets Tim Pool so much. Real bully behavior to target someone for seemingly no reason even if they are a "public figure". At least the guy in the Portnoy video requested he be roasted. 

He does look a lot like Tim Pool, he attacks Tim because of his political views. Notice that he’s never made fun of Brian Stelter. 

• Like 1

View my thread

• Administrators

In defense of Portnoy, the guys struggled with hair loss himself. I think he was trying to entertain for his show, but I know he’s felt insecure about his own hair

View my thread