Oral minoxidil article in NYT

Check out this article in the New York Times about oral minoxidil. I think it's great that this treatment is getting this sort of attention. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/18/health/minoxidil-hair-loss-pills.html

In case there is a paywall try this link:

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/an-old-medicine-grows-new-hair-for-pennies-a-day-doctors-say/

Edited by Bb111

we have no data whether it can maintain hair long term

I have started back topical which actually worked quite well in the past

Oral I will try in the future & i think it will help.

But can it maintain hair long term on its own. That I think is very unclear

Edited by hairman22
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hairman22 said:

we have no data whether it can maintain hair long term

I have started back topical which actually worked quite well in the past

Oral I will try in the future & i think it will help.

But can it maintain hair long term on its own. That I think is very unclear

Long term oral or topical minoxidil on its own will never be a solution, because its just a growth enhancer. Without also blocking DHT you're just helping your hair to look its best for as long as possible while the DHT continues to do its damage. 

• Like 1

We don’t know that for sure. They are still identifying all the effects of oral minox. Remember, this is a completely different mechanism vs a topical application, which as we know, many men do not even respond to due to lacking the enzyme in their scalp which converts minox to an activated form. Check out this study, it’s impressive what they are finding out! It’s not all about DHT and much of the industry is realizing that. 

Even after decades of use, we still do not completely understand how minoxidil improves alopecia. According to Sharma et al, vasodilatory effects are propagated by upregulation of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), increasing cutaneous blood flow with resultant increase in oxygen and growth factor delivery to the hair follicle. Additionally, minoxidil leads to hair follicle potassium channel activation, prolonging anagen and shortening the telogen phase. Minoxidil may also have T-cell immunomodulatory effects, causing suppression of T-cells that may partially explain its use in autoimmune alopecias. (4) Applied on the scalp, TM is converted to its active form, minoxidil sulfate, by sulfotransferase enzymes located in the follicular outer root sheath. Variations in sulfotransferase activity might clarify why some patients fare better than others with TM. It has been suggested that oral minoxidil may also be converted by liver and platelet sulfotransferase, thereby reaching a higher follicular accumulation. (5)

Study link: https://www.aad.org/dw/dw-insights-and-inquiries/archive/2022/low-dose-oral-minoxidil-alopecia

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, sunsurfhair said:

We don’t know that for sure. They are still identifying all the effects of oral minox. Remember, this is a completely different mechanism vs a topical application, which as we know, many men do not even respond to due to lacking the enzyme in their scalp which converts minox to an activated form. Check out this study, it’s impressive what they are finding out! It’s not all about DHT and much of the industry is realizing that. 

Not knowing everything about how minoxidil works in the limited circumstances where it can be effective, is different from not knowing everything about hair loss. Anyone willing to ignore DHT and just pop minoxidil pills for 30 years is going to learn that the hard way.

5 minutes ago, ciaus said:

Not knowing everything about how minoxidil works in the limited circumstances where it can be effective, is different from not knowing everything about hair loss. Anyone willing to ignore DHT and just pop minoxidil pills for 30 years is going to learn that the hard way.

You’re absolutely right. Do us all a favor and pop 2-3 pills of dutasteride a day. You seem the perfect type.  

1 minute ago, sunsurfhair said:

You’re absolutely right. Do us all a favor and pop 2-3 pills of dutasteride a day. You seem the perfect type.  

No need for that, been doing just fine on 1 finasteride a day.