Yay or nay: FUE HT before Christmas?

Wanted to field some feedback/opinions on this question and see if my concerns are warranted or not...

So to start out, I'd just like to state I very much like the idea of getting a HT during the winter months (specifically November and December). Some of the obvious reasons are:

1. It gets darker out, so there's less sunlight.
  2. The ability to wear winter headgear to conceal the aftermath.
  3. Avoiding people/social activities is easier since the cold or snow is a simple excuse.
  4. The results timeline coincides nicely with summer.

That being said, how do you folks feel about undergoing an FUE HT procedure approximately five days before Christmas?

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical/concerned about getting an operation so close to a major holiday since I feel like the staff (technicians and potentially even the doctor himself) could be:

• Mentally checked out/winging it/not bringing their A game since they are thinking about/looking forward to being off and spending time with family and loved ones.
  • The B or C team of technicians end up running the show since the A team is already off for the upcoming holiday weekend.

Is there any validity to this or am I overthinking it?

I agree with early November to make the most of the dark weather. 

The point about whether the clinic will be mentally checked out waiting for Christmas is an interesting one.....every office I ever worked in basically had a "f**k it, it's Friday" mentality and did nothing on Fridays, but my procedure with Dr Feller was on a Friday (10 years ago yesterday!) and it was a first class experience and turned out great.

I think the professionalism of the reputable clinics means you'll get their full attention no matter when you sit in the chair. 

• Thanks 2

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

5 days imo kinf od too near to xmas. i think it's best to have at least a week full of time that you can consult your doctor. just in case you have worries or if anything might go wrong. after 7 / 10 days, usually there are little to no worries left.

• Thanks 1

I have had 3 HTs in the winter time and 1 currently that I had in this June. 

In terms of concealment there is no difference. Invest in a handful of fashionable hip hats and you are set. 

Keep in mind that even in the dark and gloomy wintertime, you should still wear a hat during the daytime because UV rays will still go through clouds and what have you. 

I suppose winter is better to get it done if you are super active and like to spend summers at the beach or whatever. 

But if you spend all your time indoors playing videogames it wont matter what season you get it in 🤣

I actually do think there is some small validity to the timing of your HT in terms of getting it done near the holidays and if the staff will be "A team" or not, but its all speculation and broscience. 

As long as you go to an elite doctor this should not be of concern....

I actually was a bit concerned with my latest HT because it took place Sat-Mon and I was nervous about having it done on the weekends. But in hindsight I actually think it was a benefit having it on the weekend bc the clinic was really empty and quiet and it was just me, the doc, and the tech. 

Just go to a good, reputable doctor and trust me you won't have to worry about these matters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I think you're overthinking it in regards to the clinic not being able to focus (or bringing in the "B-Team" lol) by having it done too close to Christmas, I think you're reasoning is very sound about scheduling your appointment in the winter - for all the reasons you mentioned. And depending on what your work/holiday time is like, getting it done mid-December could work out perfectly with your vacation time as well. But if you're choosing a reputable clinic, I think you'll get their undivided attention and care no matter when you get it done. 

On a side note, I had an emergency hernia repair surgery when I was 19 on December 23rd - and I felt very cared for and attended to the entire time. If anything, everyone was in the Christmas spirit and seemed to make it even more special for me... So who knows - it may be even more of a positive experience by having it done then! :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Balding Bad said:

So to start out, I'd just like to state I very much like the idea of getting a HT during the winter months (specifically November and December). Some of the obvious reasons are:

1. It gets darker out, so there's less sunlight.
  2. The ability to wear winter headgear to conceal the aftermath.
  3. Avoiding people/social activities is easier since the cold or snow is a simple excuse.
  4. The results timeline coincides nicely with summer.

I agree. These are all the things I have mentioned previously as to why I had my HTs done in November/December. For those reasons I think that's the best time of year to get it done if you live in an area that gets cold winters.

16 hours ago, Balding Bad said:

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical/concerned about getting an operation so close to a major holiday since I feel like the staff (technicians and potentially even the doctor himself) could be:

• Mentally checked out/winging it/not bringing their A game since they are thinking about/looking forward to being off and spending time with family and loved ones.
  • The B or C team of technicians end up running the show since the A team is already off for the upcoming holiday weekend.

Is there any validity to this or am I overthinking it?

Way over thinking it. This is just you getting nervous about it and your brain making excuses as to why you should cancel it. Things can happen at any time of the year when you go. The Drs dog could have died thye night before. A techs relative could have just had a heart attack, etc, etc. Life happens to everyone. You can make your same argument at any time of the year. What if it's in the Summer and the Dr is going on vacation next week and thinking he can't wait to be on the beach for a week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I am scheduled for my first Ht on November 14th, I’m very active and couldn’t see myself doing it in the summer months, my plan is to hide out November and December besides seeing my immediate family, and wear a lot of hats until spring:) 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chetman2112 said:

I am scheduled for my first Ht on November 14th, I’m very active and couldn’t see myself doing it in the summer months, my plan is to hide out November and December besides seeing my immediate family, and wear a lot of hats until spring:) 

Ditto, my first HT is about a week before yours

• Valued Contributor

To be honest and I'm sure others have experienced this. For some reason it never seems to be a great time to have a hair transplant. Either you're about to start a new job, you've met a new girlfriend, you've discovered you've just been invited to a wedding, etc, etc. I think the best time to get a hair transplant is when you can afford one and after all of your research you have nailed down the right surgeon and you have finally got a date for the procedure. Time does fly so I wouldn't worry about which season, etc either. All the best!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

To be honest and I'm sure others have experienced this. For some reason it never seems to be a great time to have a hair transplant. Either you're about to start a new job, you've met a new girlfriend, you've discovered you've just been invited to a wedding, etc, etc.

That is so true!

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

11 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I have had 3 HTs in the winter time and 1 currently that I had in this June. 

In terms of concealment there is no difference. Invest in a handful of fashionable hip hats and you are set. 

Keep in mind that even in the dark and gloomy wintertime, you should still wear a hat during the daytime because UV rays will still go through clouds and what have you. 

I suppose winter is better to get it done if you are super active and like to spend summers at the beach or whatever. 

But if you spend all your time indoors playing videogames it wont matter what season you get it in 🤣

I actually do think there is some small validity to the timing of your HT in terms of getting it done near the holidays and if the staff will be "A team" or not, but its all speculation and broscience. 

As long as you go to an elite doctor this should not be of concern....

I actually was a bit concerned with my latest HT because it took place Sat-Mon and I was nervous about having it done on the weekends. But in hindsight I actually think it was a benefit having it on the weekend bc the clinic was really empty and quiet and it was just me, the doc, and the tech. 

Just go to a good, reputable doctor and trust me you won't have to worry about these matters. 

Haha yeah, definitely speculation, but it's somewhat grounded in logic...even if it may seem farfetched...it's totally feasible.

Also, very interesting to hear that you got your procedure done over the weekend! Wasn't aware that clinics had weekend hours as well.

But you're actually right. If the doctor is reputable than there should be no concerns!

7 hours ago, pkipling said:

While I think you're overthinking it in regards to the clinic not being able to focus (or bringing in the "B-Team" lol) by having it done too close to Christmas, I think you're reasoning is very sound about scheduling your appointment in the winter - for all the reasons you mentioned. And depending on what your work/holiday time is like, getting it done mid-December could work out perfectly with your vacation time as well. But if you're choosing a reputable clinic, I think you'll get their undivided attention and care no matter when you get it done. 

On a side note, I had an emergency hernia repair surgery when I was 19 on December 23rd - and I felt very cared for and attended to the entire time. If anything, everyone was in the Christmas spirit and seemed to make it even more special for me... So who knows - it may be even more of a positive experience by having it done then! :) 

Thanks for the encouraging words. You're right that if the clinic is reputable then I will be receiving their undivided attention.

Also, that's a different perspective regarding getting a more positive Christmas-y, lovey-dovey experience from the staff! Glass half-full, I like that outlook! :P

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I agree. These are all the things I have mentioned previously as to why I had my HTs done in November/December. For those reasons I think that's the best time of year to get it done if you live in an area that gets cold winters.

Way over thinking it. This is just you getting nervous about it and your brain making excuses as to why you should cancel it. Things can happen at any time of the year when you go. The Drs dog could have died thye night before. A techs relative could have just had a heart attack, etc, etc. Life happens to everyone. You can make your same argument at any time of the year. What if it's in the Summer and the Dr is going on vacation next week and thinking he can't wait to be on the beach for a week.

Yeah, you're most likely right about me overthinking it and finding excuses to kick the can down the road some more.

I do appreciate your perspective about how life happens and how there are personal distractions/dilemmas that we can't account for, but I do feel like my Christmas concern is founded only because the holiday season is such a collective experience, so more people will be itching to just kick back and relax and be done with work.

And I also do think it's likely that the more seasoned techs will be off, thereby allowing more of the B and C team to fill in, right?

That being said, you guys have definitely helped qualm my nerves regarding a procedure so close to Christmas, so thank you! Although I still do think it'd be more ideal to get it during the first couple weeks of December, rather than right before a major holiday.

Edited by Balding Bad

3 hours ago, Gatsby said:

To be honest and I'm sure others have experienced this. For some reason it never seems to be a great time to have a hair transplant. Either you're about to start a new job, you've met a new girlfriend, you've discovered you've just been invited to a wedding, etc, etc. I think the best time to get a hair transplant is when you can afford one and after all of your research you have nailed down the right surgeon and you have finally got a date for the procedure. Time does fly so I wouldn't worry about which season, etc either. All the best!

Gatsby, you couldn't be more spot on with this! I just started a new job not too long ago and they are pushing really hard for us to come back into the office...so the perk of WFH, where it would have been an opportune time to hide at home as I healed up, might no longer be an option...

But yeah, I've been sitting on this decision for awhile now and I guess there really is no perfect time...well, except maybe mid-2020-2021 when WFH lifestyle was the norm! 😆

19 hours ago, mafpe said:

5 days imo kinf od too near to xmas. i think it's best to have at least a week full of time that you can consult your doctor. just in case you have worries or if anything might go wrong. after 7 / 10 days, usually there are little to no worries left.

That is a valid point...

Does anyone know if most HT clinics close shop for the entire week leading up to the New Year (Dec 26-Jan 1)?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 10:47 PM, Balding Bad said:

That is a valid point...

Does anyone know if most HT clinics close shop for the entire week leading up to the New Year (Dec 26-Jan 1)?

I would imagine that most clinics take time off between Christmas and New Year - but no reputable clinic would just leave someone high and dry who had a procedure right before the holidays. My assumption would be that they would have a game plan in place for how to go about a followup appointment, how to get in touch with the doctor if necessary, and they would cover all their bases to make sure you didn't feel abandoned. It's also something you could discuss with them should you end up booking a procedure right before Christmas. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I'm in the same predicament and personally I wouldn't do it in December (before Christmas). I'm actually doing mine in January because 1) it'll be cold until May here, 2) there is no holiday until Easter. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

On 8/7/2022 at 7:40 PM, pkipling said:

I would imagine that most clinics take time off between Christmas and New Year - but no reputable clinic would just leave someone high and dry who had a procedure right before the holidays. My assumption would be that they would have a game plan in place for how to go about a followup appointment, how to get in touch with the doctor if necessary, and they would cover all their bases to make sure you didn't feel abandoned. It's also something you could discuss with them should you end up booking a procedure right before Christmas. 

Yeah, that's a very good point. I need to see what lines of communication would be available to me should I need it...but hopefully not!

• Valued Contributor

This is just my personal opinion from previous transplants and repair surgeries. As much as we hope, it never really seems a perfect time for a hair transplant. Something always seems to pop up. A birthday party, a wedding, a new job, a function, a new girlfriend, etc, etc. I think the best time to have a hair transplant is when you’ve found the right doctor and can afford it. Time does fly and people do have short memories. My only real advise is to buzz or shave your head now. Start wearing a cap or hat often. People get so used to this that when you do have a hair transplant they won’t even pick it. All the best!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

No. It’ll be fine if it’s a good clinic. There’s never a good time to have to hibernate socially and completely end (if you’re single) your dating life for 6 months. At least this way you’ll be in pretty good shape come late June and into July when it’s warm. And you’ll really be great by the fall. 

• Like 1