Dr. Maras/HDC 2900 Grafts

11 minutes ago, Gramatik said:

I think it may be shock loss of your native hair plus less growth on that area..

Your hair loss problem was quite small and with 2900 grafts on that area you should expect a much denser hairline than this one you have now. But wait till 7 month, to see how it progress..

what is the chance for an improvement regarding the shock-loss?

and for the "less growth"?

Although I can pull it off in my normal 'day to day' life, for 2900 grafts? this does seem like a weak result :(

17 minutes ago, Gramatik said:

I think it may be shock loss of your native hair plus less growth on that area..

Your hair loss problem was quite small and with 2900 grafts on that area you should expect a much denser hairline than this one you have now. But wait till 7 month, to see how it progress..

Also, you do understand the photos with the markings are the before* pictures, yes..?

12 minutes ago, Yan bio said:

what is the chance for an improvement regarding the shock-loss?

and for the "less growth"?

Although I can pull it off in my normal 'day to day' life, for 2900 grafts? this does seem like a weak result :(

Sometimes shock loss is temporary sometimes it is permament. Until month 7 i think you will see it, if its permament or not. In general shock loss on native hair can occur due to the increased bleeding during the surgery, or due to the increased use of anesthesia in that area or because the surgeon may damaged your native hair follicles during the incisions of your transplanted hair.

Same for growth wait 1-2 months before u make your final judgement.

For 2900 grafts on that area and considering your small hair loss problem, yea you should expect denser hairline and not a sparse one.

Edited by Gramatik
  • Sad 1

this is a video showing it in more detail I think:

https://streamable.com/p8ursq

My intuition is it won't grow more, I do hope I'll get wrong. 

Quite dissappointing as I chose someone with a good reputation and during surgery I've been told I have very good hair and scalp characteristics. Intially we we're talking about ~2000 grafts, but during surgery I've been told my scalp is very flexibile so he said 2900 is suitable. 😔

3 hours ago, Dillpickle123 said:

Honestly you have to wait till a year, but it does seem like a ton to of grafts for that small area

it's quite a 'thing':

-some people here say it's not looking good 

-some say it looks mediocre

-some say it looks good 

after talking to the representative: 
he says we can wait for  8'th month to pass, and if needed - we can insert what he estimates to be ~100 follicles to the hairline (I actually estimates it to be around 150-200 follicles, but I guess that's not very important at the moment). I asked if we might pull doing this without shaving my hairline (keeping it intact) and he said we can... 

1. I understand if we don't wait enough time, we might transplant on "yet to penetrate the scalp but still potent follicles". Do you feel 8 months is enough?🤔

2. I'm not very sure.. if the follicles didn't grow on the previous, what will make them grow now? 😏

Edited by Yan bio

7 hours ago, Yan bio said:

after talking to the representative: 
he says we can wait for  8'th month to pass, and if needed - we can insert what he estimates to be ~100 follicles to the hairline (I actually estimates it to be around 150-200 follicles, but I guess that's not very important at the moment). I asked if we might pull doing this without shaving my hairline (keeping it intact) and he said we can... 

1. I understand if we don't wait enough time, we might transplant on "yet to penetrate the scalp but still potent follicles". Do you feel 8 months is enough?🤔

2. I'm not very sure.. if the follicles didn't grow on the previous, what will make them grow now? 😏

Well in that case why not wait u till 12 months to go back, just to make sure all possible follicles sprouted?

• Like 1

1. I don't think there is any point on uploading indoor photos with the hair combed forward.

2. If the transplanted area was bald before I would consider the result to be good. However you had a great amount of hair and a very small problem, considering the amount of grafts placed this is a subpar result from @HDC, probably a combination of shock loss( doctor’s fault) and poor growth(also docor’s fault)

What is really positive is that your hairloss is minimal and you are also on finasteride so a repair ht will be easy for you.

Hey guys, thank you for your comments!
I think I wasn't very clear on some points:
1. the pictures from 24/12/22 show markings that were done 1 month before surgery, just to discuss hairline design ideas. On the day of surgery - we had lowered my hair line ~1.5cm. This area was so called 'naked' of hairs. I really do feel the new hair frames my face much better.
2. My hair isn't combed forward, this is how it naturally grows/sets up in the morning/after shower  But yes, I agree this is no longer a suitable 'indicator' im my situation.
3. After having some negative feelings (some of them due to me having a very very bad hair-cut :) ) I wanted to share those recent pictures as I love the way it looks. I wanted to detail that you can actually feel bad about your hair one day, just to be happy with it the next week, because I want future readers to be less judgemental about themselves because a huge part of this journey is staying positive. 
4. I'm feeling my hair is getting thicker and I think new hair sprouted at the hairline :) Since I'm already having better days and since I don't want to indulge in it too much, I'm just going to take a break for 1 month, let it grow, and of course (!) update everyone :)

Thank you guys!

Edited by Yan bio
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

hi :)

well, ~8.5-9 months, to sum it up:

1. How satisfied I am? 
around 9/10. after developing some skills with combinations of toppik+dermmatch - I can style my hair in a way that looks fantastic. I'm getting much more 'general compliments' about my overall look (not hair specifically), so I feel much more confident. for this, I have to kind of 'curl' my hairline along the hairline with my hands, so it looks more natural (I don't simply comb it up, I just pull some (around 20?) singles straight and a bit down, it really creates a much better and natural hairline)).

2. Am I happy with HDC?
I'd say around 6/10.
positives:
-they're moral
-dr. maras has great bedside manners
-the team is very polite
-they did offer me a fix for free
-the donor area looks good

minuses:
-my density is low at central hairline (which I cover with some styling, but still a bit sucks). the growth there is really disappointing and I had 2 small necrosis due to too much anesthesia and/or too much dense-packing and not enough blood supply.
-hairline @left side looks a bit pluggy (overall there're around 5-7 doubles all over hairline, with 4 on the left), but again - with some 'curling the hair down' at the hairline - it's unnoticeable

3. future plans? I'll have to transplant the crown, and will probably have to add ~200 hair at the hairline, and maybe unroot some doubles. 

overall I'm very very happy with deciding take the plunge.

Edited by Yan bio
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Can you share pictures?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone :)

As for photos - there're no signficant changes from previous photos, actually, beside the hair being a bit more thick.

I did consult some of the top surgeons (bisanga, pinto, feriduni, freitas).
3 of them pretty much agreed increasing the density at the hairline is beneficial, and can be done at the same session with some crown work. 

one of them, though, reacted in a what I find 'too aggresive' way, I quote:
"Dr. XXX evaluated your pictures thoroughly and set up an assessment for your hair restoration procedure.
He will first need to get rid of the faulty transplanted FU’s out of your existing hairline to get rid of the unnatural doll effect. The extracted FUs will be relocated to other areas of attention that will be discussed during the preoperative consultation.
Just like with every repair surgery, 2 or 3 extraction sessions with 4 – 6 months in between each session are required to get rid of the entire hairline. After the 3 extraction sessions, you will return to a hair situation that you would have had if you never had done any surgery. At that stage, you will be able to decide whether or not you continue to have further surgery to rebuild a new and aesthetical hairline.
Please note that the mentioned price in the attached quotation is the price per session, and thus not for 3 sessions."

Well, this felt to me very aggrresive and not justified at all. Really all wanted is to extract some mal-positioned follicles from the left side hairline + adding some density behind hairline + some crown work (which will surely, from the clinic's perspective, will be more financialy rewarding). Not only are they too/overly judgemental, I feel like they're thinking more about "we must, always, create perfect hairlines" (which I respect to some degree), rather than understanding what it important for me as a patient, which will happily 'settle' for an "A- (minus) head of hair.

Edited by Yan bio
  • Wow 2
  • Confused 1

• 7 months later...
On 3/22/2023 at 4:47 AM, Yan bio said:

Hello everyone :)

As for photos - there're no signficant changes from previous photos, actually, beside the hair being a bit more thick.

I did consult some of the top surgeons (bisanga, pinto, feriduni, freitas).
3 of them pretty much agreed increasing the density at the hairline is beneficial, and can be done at the same session with some crown work. 

one of them, though, reacted in a what I find 'too aggresive' way, I quote:
"Dr. XXX evaluated your pictures thoroughly and set up an assessment for your hair restoration procedure.
He will first need to get rid of the faulty transplanted FU’s out of your existing hairline to get rid of the unnatural doll effect. The extracted FUs will be relocated to other areas of attention that will be discussed during the preoperative consultation.
Just like with every repair surgery, 2 or 3 extraction sessions with 4 – 6 months in between each session are required to get rid of the entire hairline. After the 3 extraction sessions, you will return to a hair situation that you would have had if you never had done any surgery. At that stage, you will be able to decide whether or not you continue to have further surgery to rebuild a new and aesthetical hairline.
Please note that the mentioned price in the attached quotation is the price per session, and thus not for 3 sessions."

Well, this felt to me very aggrresive and not justified at all. Really all wanted is to extract some mal-positioned follicles from the left side hairline + adding some density behind hairline + some crown work (which will surely, from the clinic's perspective, will be more financialy rewarding). Not only are they too/overly judgemental, I feel like they're thinking more about "we must, always, create perfect hairlines" (which I respect to some degree), rather than understanding what it important for me as a patient, which will happily 'settle' for an "A- (minus) head of hair.

Sooo which of the four names you mentioned sent you that e-mail?

I can kind of guess from the tone. 🫠 Definitely keep us updated.