3 months mark (90 days) tomorrow after HT and not much happening

Hey guys,

Went to get my 1st HT 3 months ago tomorrow (with a Dr. approved by this forum) and I have to say not much is happening.

10% of the transplanted hair did not fall but besides that I can't say that I see daily improvements. Like if I did a video of my hair these last 2 weeks, there wouldn't be any difference. And people are starting to ask if the procedure failed, and how long it's taking.

I know 3 months is when it's supposed to start growing but when I see the 4 months results from other people it's hard to imagine that all these hair could grow in 1 months.

I heard people saying that when it starts it's really an "explosion" of hair and it can go really fast but yeah heard to believe right now

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Hey guys,

Went to get my 1st HT 3 months ago tomorrow (with a Dr. approved by this forum) and I have to say not much is happening.

10% of the transplanted hair did not fall but besides that I can't say that I see daily improvements. Like if I did a video of my hair these last 2 weeks, there wouldn't be any difference. And people are starting to ask if the procedure failed, and how long it's taking.

I know 3 months is when it's supposed to start growing but when I see the 4 months results from other people it's hard to imagine that all these hair could grow in 1 months.

I heard people saying that when it starts it's really an "explosion" of hair and it can go really fast but yeah heard to believe right now

The shedding phase lasts differently for different people. Some people can grow hair even without experiencing the shedding phase. Normally the shedding phase lasts between 4 to 6 months. Therefore, you should wait for the growth to show up by the 4th to 6th month.

Sounds like a later shedding phase than others, which in some cases can indicate slow growth. It’s annoying, but not alarming. It’s just a little harder to anticipate a success/fail. Will you post pictures soon? What clinic did you go with?

22 minutes ago, GaryStruthers said:

Sounds like a later shedding phase than others, which in some cases can indicate slow growth. It’s annoying, but not alarming. It’s just a little harder to anticipate a success/fail. Will you post pictures soon? What clinic did you go with?

This was at day 25, not much had fallen as you can see with the pre-op picture

F0C6AA99-581A-40A0-AE0B-A611F1CA0B87.jpg

IMG_6810.PNG

3 hours ago, NickJ said:

Hey guys,

Hair starts growing at 3months man… 

4 hours ago, NickJ said:

Hey guys,

Give it time. Some people are later bloomers on the journey and things can look negative even up the 9 month mark and then drastically improve. The main thing is to wait till the 12th month to get a full gauge but make sure to take monthly progress pictures for yourself to track things. 

Overall, don't stress about it. The 2nd and 3rd months generally are considered the peak of the "Ugly Duckling" phases. 

I know this may not be the ideal answer and I don't want to minimize your feelings, but the 3 month mark really is way too early to get discouraged. It's literally the absolute earliest that you'd start seeing growth, and even if you do end up being a slow/late grower, it's not any indication of how your final results will be. 

Also keep in mind that nobody sees results right at 3 months. I was an early grower, but it was the beginning of month 3 (where you are now) that that began - and I didn't even really notice the extent of the growth I had it until I reached month 4 and saw that I had significant growth over the past month. So - you could very well see significant growth at month 4, or it might not be until a bit later. Either way, the only way to know is to wait - and as hard as that is, it really is just the reality of hair transplants. 

Wishing you patience and early growth and a very positive outcome! :)  

• Like 2

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

2 hours ago, pkipling said:

I know this may not be the ideal answer and I don't want to minimize your feelings, but the 3 month mark really is way too early to get discouraged. It's literally the absolute earliest that you'd start seeing growth, and even if you do end up being a slow/late grower, it's not any indication of how your final results will be. 

Also keep in mind that nobody sees results right at 3 months. I was an early grower, but it was the beginning of month 3 (where you are now) that that began - and I didn't even really notice the extent of the growth I had it until I reached month 4 and saw that I had significant growth over the past month. So - you could very well see significant growth at month 4, or it might not be until a bit later. Either way, the only way to know is to wait - and as hard as that is, it really is just the reality of hair transplants. 

Technically, he's at the beginning of the fourth month now.  lol. Other than that, this is spot on.

10 hours ago, pkipling said:

Thanks for the feedback man.

I know that's it's supposed to start growing around this time, but when you compare to others in the same timeframe it can be frustrating to see you're not having the same results and having people "hey X at 2 months and a half had hair, are you sure your procedure worked?"

These are today pics

Under bright light

image.jpeg.36a0592a88d2e688762f7c0f36f8a685.jpeg

Under normal light inside

image.jpeg.3a02be8c51e3dc42e57ebdb660b5a1bb.jpeg

And Hairline under bright light  (what concerns me the most because I heard normally the hairline is supposed to grow in first)

image.jpeg.a72d6aa1962dbfb8d8ff810c78df280b.jpeg

• Valued Contributor

@NickJ it's easy for me to say but at three months you are still in the ugly duckling phase and this varies from person to person. Keep in touch with your surgeon remember the most important thing when it comes to everything hair transplant is patience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gatsby said:

@NickJ it's easy for me to say but at three months you are still in the ugly duckling phase and this varies from person to person. Keep in touch with your surgeon remember the most important thing when it comes to everything hair transplant is patience.

Yeah definitely as I still look worse then I did pre HT

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 11:55 PM, NickJ said:

Thanks for the feedback man.

I know that's it's supposed to start growing around this time, but when you compare to others in the same timeframe it can be frustrating to see you're not having the same results and having people "hey X at 2 months and a half had hair, are you sure your procedure worked?"

Oh for sure. It's very understandable to feel the panic/doubt, but that's when speaking logically and factually to ourselves really comes in handy. You can't compare yourself to anyone else's journey as they all really are so vastly different... And whether someone is an early grower or a late grower it's still no indication of what the final results will be. So stay patient. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

On 6/20/2022 at 8:53 AM, NickJ said:

These are today pics

Under bright light

image.jpeg.36a0592a88d2e688762f7c0f36f8a685.jpeg

Under normal light inside

image.jpeg.3a02be8c51e3dc42e57ebdb660b5a1bb.jpeg

And Hairline under bright light  (what concerns me the most because I heard normally the hairline is supposed to grow in first)

image.jpeg.a72d6aa1962dbfb8d8ff810c78df280b.jpeg

I do understand your concern fully but Months 2 and 3 usually (especially since you're at 90 days) are some of the worst for people. 

You hopefully will start to see this situation improve from months 4 onwards. Usually patients at the 12 month mark are generally i would say 95-98% done for the majority. However, some people in that 95% or less range could see benefits even as far out as 18 months if they were really slow growers or follicles were traumatised. 

Best thing to do is not stress fully (causes more hairloss lol) and just focus on taking monthly progress pictures and getting on with things. Keeping hyper focused on this is the equivalent of watching paint dry, it's going to take you ages and be boring. Better to do other things. 

Hey Guys, 

Thanks for the support, I will use this topic to update you every 3-5 days about the progress during this month and the next one (as this could be helpful in the future for people who would be "late bloomers"

Day 93:

Under bright sun light

image.jpeg.b017cab29ee364e13771116ddaf457e9.jpeg

Hairline

image.jpeg.c085cb10e88051affaf469217573523d.jpeg

Inside:

image.thumb.jpeg.82d1027c0670b670249534024fb61187.jpeg

Still no little black dots like you would see

Here: Mattdominance 

Or with our friend

Hope to see them at the 100 days mark

At this stage, it's hard to see on camera because a lot of the hairs popping through are very short and fine still.  If you aren't seeing any pop through when you look close-up mirror in the mirror, then you would know best of course.  Aren't the hairs on the corners of your hairline transplanted hairs?  To an outside observer, it looks like there is definitely some sprouting.  

Edited by John1991

• Administrators

You should expect to look like there’s been no growth at 3 months. I had zero I mean zero growth at 3 months.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Day 97

Good news !

New hairs are starting to grow slowly (even a little on the hairline).

I have seen a little improvement every day since the last post, no impressive growth but every day a few new hairs. Like @John1991 said they are very thin and not really noticeable with the iPhone camera yet. And yes the hairs in the corners are implanted hairs that resisted the shedding phase and are getting thicker.

My hair is also getting thicker again in general, the aspect changed a little bit due to shock loss.

Concerning the professional advice on my "growth" I also had a consultation with the person that took care of me during the procedure (not the surgeon)

1. He reminded me that he told me that I should be expecting a pretty bad shock loss (which I indeed had) because I had sensitive skin (As you can see my skin is indeed still pretty red). Hair was also implanted close to the existing hair which raises the chance of shock loss.
  2. I waited until the 2,5 month to get back on minoxidil

Next update later in the week.

If you have questions do not hesitate.

I will reveal the name of the surgeon once it starts looking good as I didn't wanted to have a negative impact.

ECAD36BC-FE21-4C72-9446-8A27C1A18943.jpg

919C42A5-B0FA-4286-88C7-7E9551CD4D9F.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Day 105 update

Went to the barber to have a shorter haircut and see the hair grow better.

Little daily improvement nothing impressive still, a few thin hair pocking 2-3 every day but nothing noticeable from a distance.

Hope seeing an "acceleration" of the growth in the 2 coming weeks because you can see more little black dots than previously

AC938E2F-0AC1-4DED-8BAA-9196534719F1.jpg

5B900BA7-9257-4142-8666-A821617F4FB7.jpg

Edited by NickJ

I'm glad you're seeing some results and feeling better about things, and I'm also glad the approach of closely monitoring it every few days seems to be working for you. If you find that to be frustrating at some point in the future, I think the most sound approach for most of us is to do our best to put it out of our minds - and then wake up one day pleasantly surprised at the growth you suddenly have. It's like saying goes, "A watched pot never boils". In the meantime, thanks for the updates - and happy growing! ;)

Day 115 update:

Approaching the 4 month mark after the HT, and nothing spectacular. I'm definitely not the fastest grower but when I check every 2 days I see small improvements

It's also the feedback I get from people around me "oh your hair did grow a little, it's nice" but nothing spectacular like on some others

1F0C576A-6F33-4BF3-A1EB-76B7F9FACA0E.jpg

419CDBDC-AB4F-45FB-9402-23AA300FC555.jpg

BC28E573-C99C-4CEE-B1BD-50252A0BFAF1.jpg

D6113EB5-719C-4884-8F73-78191B5F579F.jpg

• Like 1

I can see that it's definitely improved a little bit compared to month 3. So that's positive. 

If you've done your homework and chosen the right surgeon then all you can do at this stage is "trust da process bruh", be patient and hope for the best. 

I'd try to stay optimistic so far. 

Some people grow faster than others. 

The 4-month mark is still super early and doesn't mean much so don't worry at this stage. 

The 6-8 month mark will already give you a better idea/overview of what the result is going to look like.