Those who have had hair transplants, when did your shedding phase begin? days? weeks afterwards?

so im post op day 10, and ive noticed that ive shed quite a bit of my transplanted hairs and lost the density I had after the transplants. Is this normal? i had my ht at eugenix and in one of the emails from the clinic it read the following

"First 4 weeks: most of the transplanted hair stays and attains some growth in length. The scalp looks quite dense, and everyone feels extremely happy and satisfied with the procedure."

I also notice that some of scabs have hairs attached to them? were these hairs destined to have fallen out anyways and the scab was just keeping them on the scalp, or was I too rough on massaging the scabs off with my fingers?

• Like 1

100% normal.

The whole 'all the hair stays on' phase lasts more like a single week. Shedding it all is a necessary part of the healing and growth process.

There's also some anecdotal 5% that just keeps the hair and it continues growing, business as usual, I'd sure love to hear from one of those elusive creatures :D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 12345 said:

so im post op day 10, and ive noticed that ive shed quite a bit of my transplanted hairs and lost the density I had after the transplants. Is this normal? i had my ht at eugenix and in one of the emails from the clinic it read the following

"First 4 weeks: most of the transplanted hair stays and attains some growth in length. The scalp looks quite dense, and everyone feels extremely happy and satisfied with the procedure."

I also notice that some of scabs have hairs attached to them? were these hairs destined to have fallen out anyways and the scab was just keeping them on the scalp, or was I too rough on massaging the scabs off with my fingers?

It is okay to lose the hair even now. The shedding can start from the very day of the headwash itself also. The scabs with the hair are normal. Please don't worry. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 8:55 PM, 12345 said:

I have exactly the same thing.. by day 14 I almost feel back to square one, I wonder if the hairs coming out with the scabs is a bad sign, I'm very worried. I started massaging them out probably day 7-8 (gently)

46 minutes ago, RTC said:

I have exactly the same thing.. by day 14 I almost feel back to square one, I wonder if the hairs coming out with the scabs is a bad sign, I'm very worried. I started massaging them out probably day 7-8 (gently)

Great question bro ! 

Actually everyone always refers to the famous 2006 study from Bernstein & Rassman which concluded that hair grafts should be permanent after 9 days no matter if you pull on with or without a scab attached to it. 

Because the dermal papilla that produces the hair follicle should be fully embedded into the epidermis by this time.

So  IF your surgery has been performed correctly and IF your follicles made it then even scalp waxing should not dislodge anything (theoretically). 

However everyone is different. Our bodies heal and react differently. You never know  what is  going to be the survival rate of your surgery. 

Grafts could have been transected or crushed to begin with or simply they do not survive the shock of surgery. Or they could have gotten stuck into the scabbing or cut off from blood supply for too long...

The fact that you see hairs with scabs falling out is not a reliable indicator of anything. 

Also some people shed as early as 6-7 days (hair shafts + scabs attached to them) and do get a great result whereas others are able to remove the scabs between the 10th and 14th day without removing the hairs yet they get poor growth later on. 

You never know. It's a lottery. But what we know for sure is that the 6-month mark NEVER lies. If it looks bad at 6 months, it may improve marginally but don't expect a miracle coming out of nowhere. 

So to summarize, the fact that you see a scab coming off with hairs doesn't mean much. 

Your surgeon will always tell you "don't worry it's normal" but the reality is only time can tell. 

Edited by Botch me baby
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Botch me baby said:

Great question bro ! 

Actually everyone always refers to the famous 2006 study from Bernstein & Rassman which concluded that hair grafts should be permanent after 9 days no matter if you pull on with or without a scab attached to it. 

Because the dermal papilla that produces the hair follicle should be fully embedded into the epidermis by this time.

So  IF your surgery has been performed correctly and IF your follicles made it then even scalp waxing should not dislodge anything (theoretically). 

However everyone is different. Our bodies heal and react differently. You never know  what is  going to be the survival rate of your surgery. 

Grafts could have been transected or crushed to begin with or simply they do not survive the shock of surgery. Or they could have gotten stuck into the scabbing or cut off from blood supply for too long...

The fact that you see hairs with scabs falling out is not a reliable indicator of anything. 

Also some people shed as early as 6-7 days (hair shafts + scabs attached to them) and do get a great result whereas others are able to remove the scabs between the 10th and 14th day without removing the hairs yet they get poor growth later on. 

You never know. It's a lottery. But what we know for sure is that the 6-month mark NEVER lies. If it looks bad at 6 months, it may improve marginally but don't expect a miracle coming out of nowhere. 

So to summarize, the fact that you see a scab coming off with hairs doesn't mean much. 

Your surgeon will always tell you "don't worry it's normal" but the reality is only time can tell. 

All I can do is make dua brother

1 hour ago, Botch me baby said:

Great question bro ! 

You got botched didn't you, in all seriousness be good to hear your story, the charade you put on is funny and that lol but you got me intrigued into what your story really is. 

58 minutes ago, sukh123 said:

You got botched didn't you, in all seriousness be good to hear your story, the charade you put on is funny and that lol but you got me intrigued into what your story really is. 

Will soon share my story bro 

3 hours ago, RTC said:

I don't think it's cause of worry, if follicle was dislodged you would have seen blood .  I am also 2 weeks post op & notice some shedding starting. We just gotta trust the process & not get stressed ,  if anything, stress is more hazardaus to hair growth than few scabs with hair😀

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 1:25 AM, 12345 said:

I started losing the transplanted hair immediately after my first headwash. Nothing to worry about. The shedding phase can last anywhere up to 4 to 6 months from immediately after the headwash. But it cannot be generalised. The shedding phase will be at different time intervals for different people.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

20 minutes ago, Vann said:

Not to derail this thread but for those of you who had a transplant previously how long did it take for the numbness to go away in your recipient?

For me it took two months for the numbness to completely go away. 

• Thanks 1

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

45 minutes ago, Vann said:

Not to derail this thread but for those of you who had a transplant previously how long did it take for the numbness to go away in your recipient?

my first one with asli, it probably took like 4 weeks to 2 months for the feeling to come back, can't remember exactly

this time round i have recovered all feeling within 10 days

edit: talking about donor, not recipient. don't have any numbness in recipient

Edited by RTC
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RTC said:

my first one with asli, it probably took like 4 weeks to 2 months for the feeling to come back, can't remember exactly

this time round i have recovered all feeling within 10 days

edit: talking about donor, not recipient. don't have any numbness in recipient

Really? My donor only was numb for maybe a day and I feel like it looks completely normal. I think my skin just heals really fast but I could also be misinterpreting good donor healing when it comes to myself.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

• 2 weeks later...

How much shedding is normal? I am at 3 weeks post-op and noticing hairs when I rinsed my scalp. On one part of the recipient area, each time my fingertip gently rubs this area, I see 4-5 hairs; so, in one shower, about 50 or more hairs shed from this particular area.

40 minutes ago, Gi29 said:

How much shedding is normal? I am at 3 weeks post-op and noticing hairs when I rinsed my scalp. On one part of the recipient area, each time my fingertip gently rubs this area, I see 4-5 hairs; so, in one shower, about 50 or more hairs shed from this particular area.

It's different for everyone, i notice very few hairs shed since day 20, some say the sooner most of it sheds the sooner it grows, not sure if it's true .