3,100 grafts FUT Dr Bloxham June '22

gxm100

28 minutes ago, gxm100 said:

Hi Everyone!

wanted to share a little 1 year update since my procedure with Dr B. This will probably be the last time I update this thread (will respond to any questions or comments that people have though) so I will try to give a good update. I am also trying to organize going into Dr Bloxhams next week so that he can do one of his video updates - will post that here if it happens.

MY RESULT

Overall, I couldn’t be much happier with my outcome. For positives, I have a completely restored, natural looking hairline after just one procedure. I have all of my confidence back. I do not have to use toppik or any concealer at all. I go in the pool again. I actually hardly ever even style my hair now because it looks fine the way it is 😂. As you can see from previous posts, where I’ve come from to where I’ve landed is absolutely insane and, to me, almost unbelievable at times. The scar is invisible as long as I keep my hair at an appropriate length on the sides (which for me is a 3). I am able to get a low fade that looks perfectly “short” in my opinion.

For “negatives” if you want to call it that, around the 9 month mark the texture of my hair became very wavy curly and on one side a bit more wiry feeling. I think we’ve all read that this can happen. I felt it was a bit strange that it happened so late, but I will say it seems to be improving in terms of that stiff feeling. I call this out as a “negative” only because 1) when I do try to style my hair it wants to bounce back pretty hard. Again this is improving and I am 0% worried about it. And 2) because everyone who has known me for 30 years know that I have straight hair everyone asks me how I’m getting my hair to be so wavy lol. To that I have no answer. Personally I actually like the added texture and if I care enough to use a hairdryer I can easily get it out.

In the end I am super happy I went with Bloxham and I am completely content with my FUT decision. Would I be happier if I got the same outcome with FUE? Sure. But I did what I thought was best for my individual case and have no regrets about that.

Below are pics of my hair today, unwashed for 2 days, unstyled, after wearing a hat.

1EDB8CE6-ACE3-4C24-A77A-3F4E654D61E4.jpeg

F17C7787-9461-42B1-AF2E-5477B9BD3437.jpeg

40E4D4BF-326F-40D4-B422-5A60B38D2E30.jpeg

5D497E3D-9540-4D81-B065-EA37A24A6648.jpeg

8A547C75-FB18-407E-9FDA-D0F8365A87F0.jpeg

Wow homerun! Any scar photos?

27 minutes ago, HairEnthusiast101 said:

Wow homerun! Any scar photos?

I can post some later on after I actually clean my hair haha! I have hat hair which actually very closely represents the scar being visible so wouldn’t want any unfair opinions.

you want to see it just how it looks day today or hair pulled away so you can clearly see the scar? Or both?

@gxm100 is the hair in your donor hair wavy? Just guessing, but I would say the hair is wavy because your donor hair is wavy. 

It is indeed strange that this hair would pop out around month 4 and look normal, and only 5 months later start to curl. 

Regardless, I think the curliness is going to be a permanent fixture. But yes overall great result! 

Very lucky to be a one-and-done procedure!

29 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

@gxm100 is the hair in your donor hair wavy? Just guessing, but I would say the hair is wavy because your donor hair is wavy. 

It is indeed strange that this hair would pop out around month 4 and look normal, and only 5 months later start to curl. 

Regardless, I think the curliness is going to be a permanent fixture. But yes overall great result! 

Very lucky to be a one-and-done procedure!

Hey! Yeah it is wavier I suppose. Frankly I’ve never grown my hair out anywhere near long enough to find out. Cut to like a 6 on the sides max back in the day so who knows. I do have the same guess as you though. The wave and curl I do not mind. The wirey nature of the hair is all that I hope gets better and indeed has gotten better.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Your hair looks great. I'll comment on the waviness.

1. Some men with straight hair actually have a bit of waviness in the back thickest area of their hair. It can go unnoticed all your life if you never let the hair in back grow very long. Once that hair is taken and transplanted to the front, the waviness shows up as you let the front grow out longer than you ever let it grow when it was in the back. This can be more true with FUT because the donor strip is taken smack through the center of that area as opposed to FUE which takes hair from a much larger area.

2. The reason it wasn't noticeable until month 9 could be because when it first starts to grow it is very thin and doesn't have as much body and volume to it. Once it starts to mature and gain some thickness, it becomes more noticeable.

3. It's not uncommon for hair to be a bit wiry, course, or wavy when it first grows in. That will usually soften and blend better with the surrounding hair by about the 18 months mark or possibly a bit longer.

You could be having one, two, or maybe all three of those things going on.

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

Wow amazing results 👏🏼👏🏼

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 5 weeks later...

@gxm100 Finally got my FUT transplant with Bloxham yesterday. I just took off the bandages with the dried blood and wondering if there's any chance of staples coming out or if I should expect anymore bleeding at this point?

2 hours ago, cloudyhaze said:

@gxm100 Finally got my FUT transplant with Bloxham yesterday. I just took off the bandages with the dried blood and wondering if there's any chance of staples coming out or if I should expect anymore bleeding at this point?

Highly unlikely that a staple comes out on its own without really catching it firmly on something and ripping it out.    It’s still possible for there to be some blood/fluid oozing from incision for a few days, but shouldn’t be much if any active or brisk bleeding. That said, would rec not using your best or light colored  pillowcase first few days without something covering it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cloudyhaze said:

@cloudyhaze - I agree with the above post. Not likely that it’ll affect your staples at all. I will say however that in the area that I had that clump of dried blood I had longer lingering pain after the procedure and also my scar line is a bit thicker right there. Personally, I felt that exact area hurt a bit more during extraction. But that’s really all, nothing serious ended up coming from it! Just don’t hit it on anything!! Lol best of luck man 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vann said:

How soon did you start working out @gxm100?

For doing some cardio type exercise I waited a month and for anything that involved what I would consider to be heavy weights I waited 3 months. I used some weights prior to that but definitely nothing that was even close to make me strain. At 3 months I started doing exercises that involved barbell movements again. Bench press I waited even longer for but I don’t really remember exactly when I picked that back up. Even at 3 months though I wasn’t trying to throw up any crazy 1 rep max type weight you know? Maybe I could’ve been but for me I felt like I could forego that for a while.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 4:01 PM, gxm100 said:

Hi Everyone!

wanted to share a little 1 year update since my procedure with Dr B. This will probably be the last time I update this thread (will respond to any questions or comments that people have though) so I will try to give a good update. I am also trying to organize going into Dr Bloxhams next week so that he can do one of his video updates - will post that here if it happens.

MY RESULT

Overall, I couldn’t be much happier with my outcome. For positives, I have a completely restored, natural looking hairline after just one procedure. I have all of my confidence back. I do not have to use toppik or any concealer at all. I go in the pool again. I actually hardly ever even style my hair now because it looks fine the way it is 😂. As you can see from previous posts, where I’ve come from to where I’ve landed is absolutely insane and, to me, almost unbelievable at times. The scar is invisible as long as I keep my hair at an appropriate length on the sides (which for me is a 3). I am able to get a low fade that looks perfectly “short” in my opinion.

For “negatives” if you want to call it that, around the 9 month mark the texture of my hair became very wavy curly and on one side a bit more wiry feeling. I think we’ve all read that this can happen. I felt it was a bit strange that it happened so late, but I will say it seems to be improving in terms of that stiff feeling. I call this out as a “negative” only because 1) when I do try to style my hair it wants to bounce back pretty hard. Again this is improving and I am 0% worried about it. And 2) because everyone who has known me for 30 years know that I have straight hair everyone asks me how I’m getting my hair to be so wavy lol. To that I have no answer. Personally I actually like the added texture and if I care enough to use a hairdryer I can easily get it out.

In the end I am super happy I went with Bloxham and I am completely content with my FUT decision. Would I be happier if I got the same outcome with FUE? Sure. But I did what I thought was best for my individual case and have no regrets about that.

Below are pics of my hair today, unwashed for 2 days, unstyled, after wearing a hat.

1EDB8CE6-ACE3-4C24-A77A-3F4E654D61E4.jpeg

F17C7787-9461-42B1-AF2E-5477B9BD3437.jpeg

40E4D4BF-326F-40D4-B422-5A60B38D2E30.jpeg

5D497E3D-9540-4D81-B065-EA37A24A6648.jpeg

8A547C75-FB18-407E-9FDA-D0F8365A87F0.jpeg

incredible 👏🏻👏🏻🤯🤯

On 7/14/2023 at 3:07 PM, gxm100 said:

For doing some cardio type exercise I waited a month and for anything that involved what I would consider to be heavy weights I waited 3 months. I used some weights prior to that but definitely nothing that was even close to make me strain. At 3 months I started doing exercises that involved barbell movements again. Bench press I waited even longer for but I don’t really remember exactly when I picked that back up. Even at 3 months though I wasn’t trying to throw up any crazy 1 rep max type weight you know? Maybe I could’ve been but for me I felt like I could forego that for a while.

For what it's worth, I started dumbbell pressing 6 weeks after the op with no problems.

12 hours ago, John1991 said:

For what it's worth, I started dumbbell pressing 6 weeks after the op with no problems.

What is rough probability of scar stretching a month after surgery? I've been weightlifting for 2 years but I would reconsider how heavy/often I go depending on how it affects the scar.