3,100 grafts FUT Dr Bloxham June '22

gxm100

1 minute ago, pkipling said:

There's one study that was done by Dr. Bernstein that is used to provide insight on when grafts become secure and are no longer at risk of being dislodged. Here's the link to the full study if you want to read it, but the final outcome was this:

"The study showed that for the first two days, pulling on a hair always resulted in a lost graft, but the chance of the graft being removed started to decrease by the third day. By the sixth day pulling on a hair would no longer dislodge the graft. Pulling on an adherent scab always resulted in a lost graft through day five, with the incidence decreasing through day eight. However, by nine days post-op, grafts were no longer at risk of being dislodged."

I wish there were more studies done like this one on other concerns people have post-op so that there wouldn't be so much discrepancy between so many surgeons about what is and isn't considered optimal post-op care, because Lord knows the various answers cause soooo much confusion - and rightly so. 

Yeah like if this info is out there, and presented by a reputable doc like Bernstein, how is it that other reputable docs say start massaging the grafts at 4 days? Sure the implication is that it should be done lightly, but what’s the benefit? If scabbing isn’t harmful, which I believe on that one there is consensus that it’s not, then why would we start touching the recipient area at all before at least day 7? Whole thing is wild to me. 

I touched the recipient for the first time on Day 5, but did so very very very gently and am glad that I’ve gone that way. On day 10 I will give some more pressure / apply conditioner if I have to to break up the scabs.

also just generally interesting to me that doctors don’t just go with the more cautious recommendation across the board.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gxm100 said:

Yeah like if this info is out there, and presented by a reputable doc like Bernstein, how is it that other reputable docs say start massaging the grafts at 4 days? Sure the implication is that it should be done lightly, but what’s the benefit? If scabbing isn’t harmful, which I believe on that one there is consensus that it’s not, then why would we start touching the recipient area at all before at least day 7? Whole thing is wild to me. 

I touched the recipient for the first time on Day 5, but did so very very very gently and am glad that I’ve gone that way. On day 10 I will give some more pressure / apply conditioner if I have to to break up the scabs.

also just generally interesting to me that doctors don’t just go with the more cautious recommendation across the board.

I think gently massaging helps with your blood flow. I had surgery on my knee and I was told that I shouldnt touch it at all (to not get an infection) but once I have a scab that form I should slightly massage it to help break apart scar tissue, to help promote circulation, and to make sure that I have blood actually moving in a place where there really isnt much flow.

At least in your scalp you have blood... so I would assume by that logic its to help prevent necrosis? I dont think necrosis would make a lot of sense but helping circulation would be my best guess.

But I am with you. I would also like to know why there is a lot of variation between clinics and days they proceed in touching the recipient sites.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

Day 10 Post Op

looking good at day 10! Scabs are coming off (though more hairs are coming with them then I’d have liked but I know this is normal). Gonna shave my head later today after staples come out and enjoy the buzz cut look for hopefully a week or two before I turn into an ugly duck!

let me know what you think!

0C384554-8513-44F4-B0DB-2504AB2470F0.jpeg

• Like 3

Looking clean.  I had 2250 from Dr. Feller in my frontal zone back in '04 & had really good early growth.  Dr. Bloxham's work is very good as well in my opinion.  The extra 'native' hair in the very front center (forelock) of your hairline will only add to the naturalness of the results as it will 'frame' the front w/your hair restoration behind it blending in.

Edited by jjsrader
  • Like 1

• Melvin- Admin changed the title to 3,100 grafts FUT Dr Bloxham June '22

Day 15 - 

All good to this point! The incision line has been itchy lately, and generally I’m getting all kinds of funny tingling sensations throughout my scalp. I think it’s just the nerve endings repairing.

I’m experiencing a small amount of shedding so that’ll probably start happening soon!

98B85585-C124-435C-9C06-CBC9CF50A2A4.jpeg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gxm100 said:

Day 15 - 

All good to this point! The incision line has been itchy lately, and generally I’m getting all kinds of funny tingling sensations throughout my scalp. I think it’s just the nerve endings repairing.

I’m experiencing a small amount of shedding so that’ll probably start happening soon!

98B85585-C124-435C-9C06-CBC9CF50A2A4.jpeg

I believe that’s a really good sign. It looks like everything is super slow but coming in place. The way your body is reacting is pretty quick in my opinion so you should shed really soon or you’ll probably keep most of your hair in my honest opinion. 

Just now, Vann said:

I believe that’s a really good sign. It looks like everything is super slow but coming in place. The way your body is reacting is pretty quick in my opinion so you should shed really soon or you’ll probably keep most of your hair in my honest opinion. 

I can’t tell you how pleased I’d be to be among the few who are so lucky to not shed very badly haha however I feel that would be an overly optimistic expectation :) 

thanks for the comment! Glad everything is looking good to others too

I also should add for anyone considering FUT, at this point I can hide the incision line incredibly well by using dermmatch. I just tested it at home one day to see and I was surprised. 

Like many others I am currently working from home but I could easily go into the office now  if I had to

3 minutes ago, gxm100 said:

I can’t tell you how pleased I’d be to be among the few who are so lucky to not shed very badly haha however I feel that would be an overly optimistic expectation :) 

thanks for the comment! Glad everything is looking good to others too

Visually speaking your FUT scar is really really clean. I would have expect the staples to cause some damage and the scar to not be closed all the way. But you might have really good skin and blood clotting so I honestly... I really think you could potentially get away with no shedding. But I guess time will tell. Especally, since you did have an invasive surgery, hopefully your hair follicles were already in the sleep phase and go into the dormant phase soon. So even if you do shed itll be a normal buzz cut.

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, gxm100 said:

Yeah the itchiness along the FUT scar line is normal, but is a pain in the a**. It's just the nerve endings healing and reconnecting. It can last a few months, but it slowly fades away. For me the itchiness turns into random tingles after a while before completely going away.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

3 weeks (21 days)

hey all - update for today.

all is still going well. The itching in the donor area got worse before it got better. I started letting the incision line soak in conditioner for a while during my showers and that seems to have helped.

at this point im beginning some light exercise again (mostly cardio). Also played golf for the first time on day 19 and felt completely fine.

here are some pics. All are taken either under harsh bathroom lighting or right in front of bright naturally lit windows/outside light.

4D18FB04-7A36-4821-8368-6399817B6E09.jpeg

2DF7F0B6-61CE-4A75-A4B1-801FE46C5159.jpeg

7639DC8E-6603-420B-9FAA-534B22FC6990.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks great! Once the redness goes away it looks like you’ll be able to rock a small buzz if you want.

How does your scar feel? Is it flat to the touch or are you noticing any bumps? 

especially since you’ve started exercising, does your scar feel/look any different?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 6:53 AM, hairfloss said:

Looks great! Once the redness goes away it looks like you’ll be able to rock a small buzz if you want.

How does your scar feel? Is it flat to the touch or are you noticing any bumps? 

especially since you’ve started exercising, does your scar feel/look any different?

The scar feels fine to the physical touch. In most spots it just feels flat. There is a small area where it feels like an indent actually but not raised anywhere. Scar doesnt look any different still just a nice thin line. I’ve experienced a little shock loss around it on my right side which is making it appear worse but when I look at it up close, it looms very good in my opinion. 

Here are some pics from ~1 month. Everything is good. Hair continues to shed a bit but overall not that bad. I expected to be uglier by now haha.

6F3EF0BC-34AE-4C0B-BADA-01EF5EE2285E.jpeg

5512FB40-40A1-4A33-8944-8ADE68AB9700.jpeg

9BC08BBB-EE48-453C-AB86-765075980C4B.jpeg

ECD256A8-D214-4143-B50D-2C43F6E423C5.jpeg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gxm100 said:

The scar feels fine to the physical touch. In most spots it just feels flat. There is a small area where it feels like an indent actually but not raised anywhere. Scar doesnt look any different still just a nice thin line. I’ve experienced a little shock loss around it on my right side which is making it appear worse but when I look at it up close, it looms very good in my opinion. 

Here are some pics from ~1 month. Everything is good. Hair continues to shed a bit but overall not that bad. I expected to be uglier by now haha.

6F3EF0BC-34AE-4C0B-BADA-01EF5EE2285E.jpeg

5512FB40-40A1-4A33-8944-8ADE68AB9700.jpeg

9BC08BBB-EE48-453C-AB86-765075980C4B.jpeg

ECD256A8-D214-4143-B50D-2C43F6E423C5.jpeg

Slow but steadily going.

Quick update at 1 month and 1 week. Pic is under reasonably favorable lighting, but yeah, so far I feel like it’s just kinda crazy the amount of hair that has not shed.

I’m going to cut the back and sides of my hair again tomorrow to just try to even everything out and then from there just let it rip for the next several months.

8F60AF68-BEAD-4B83-A7A0-25F079AF2B84.jpeg

Bro looking good! You’ve got a great looking scar — will be hardly noticeable (already is one of your pics, I wouldn’t look twice!). I’ve only seen good things from Bloxham recently. Happy growing. 

Edited by Z--

• 2 weeks later...

Just short of 8 weeks - I know it’s too early to expect much but curious of anyones thoughts. I did continue shedding until about last week but I did keep a good amount of the transplanted hairs I think. Now when I zoom in on those photos (thanks iphone13), I feel I can see a good count of new hairs poking through. But maybe it’s just wishful thinking as it is quite early.

the redness is still pretty significant at this point and really that’s the only reason that anything looks “unnatural” at this point. The scar even at 2 guard was almost undetectable except for one area on the right side. Not sure if I stretched in that spot or if I just experienced shock loss there.

035A7665-38E5-4689-A552-EA674B1D3289.thumb.jpeg.8b57e463e4d6294f0354b9c3395d43bc.jpegCC167B0F-42F5-4630-9061-7094A5CD3765.thumb.jpeg.45b6e7be7a8779f135129d4592a68ec6.jpeg

DA633BC4-860B-4677-90EC-03D110382447.jpeg

I think you may have some hairs popping through. The shockloss makes it harder to tell whether you may have some native hairs returning or some actual transplanted hairs growing in.

But overall I think you were where you should be at 8 weeks.

edit: I’m 6 weeks in and I think you should view it close up under natural light instead of harsh lighting it helps to see through the redness and without a filtered glare.

Edited by Vann
  • Like 1