FUE vs DHI

Hi guys,

I'm locking for an HT,

I just have a question, the technic FUE damage the previous hairs? Or own natural hair? Because in the Fue they need to do the holes to put the hair...

You may think it's a dumb question (and may be it is)

That's why I was searching for DHI technic...

Does the DHi is better than FUE or other wise? Because I found that the DHI can give a more natural look...

Thank you for all the help! 

Neither one is "superior" imo. It is all about the surgeon skills. That being said I do beleive there may be a small advantage with DHI as far as producing a slightly more natural look more often than not. I say this because in DHI with the implanter pens the surgeon has 100% complete control over where and how the graft gets implanted as opposed to the pre made slits which can be more prone to "mistakes" in the sense that once they are made, they are made, and there's no going back if the surgeon feels a few slits at the hairline could have been placed in a slightly different manner or area. But again, if you go to a very good surgeon, you can definitely get a natural FUE result too, as seen all over.

One thing I'm not crazy about with DHI is that the grafts appear to get handled more than FUE. They must be picked up by a tool and instead of going into the scalp, they must be inserted into the implanter pen and then even after that, you have the implantation shot from the pen itself. Just seems like more of a chance for a transection instead of simply picking up the graft and placing it into the scalp in FUE. But again - all about the surgeon and the team.

Edited by ML488
  • Like 1

• Administrators

The question is like asking engine vs. wheel. FUE is the harvesting method. DHI is the implantation technique. You can get DHI and FUE, they’re not mutually exclusive. That said, DHI is all marketing. The technique is only as good as the surgeon executing it. 

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi guys! 

I had the luck to find this forum,

Before doing my first HT,

Now I want to go to Spain to the clinic de Freitas (Dr. Radael de Freitas)

Thank god that I didn't go to Turkey to Cosmedica or Dr. Serkan.

Thank you all for the Information :)

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Alex94gasp said:

Hi guys! 

I had the luck to find this forum,

Before doing my first HT,

Now I want to go to Spain to the clinic de Freitas (Dr. Radael de Freitas)

Thank god that I didn't go to Turkey to Cosmedica or Dr. Serkan.

Thank you all for the Information :)

Dr. Freitas is awesome. Good luck buddy

I'm definitely checking it. But I heard that there's a good clinic in my country to, in Portugal.

I saw in this forum a lot of compliments to Dr. Bruno Ferreira.

Edited by Alex94gasp

Alex,

to be honest, there is a lot of confusion regarding the various donor harvesting techniques so allow me to briefly explain. DHI is both a company/clinic and a technique known as “direct hair implantation”.  DHI uses this technique but don’t let the alternative name for you. DHI is still FUE.

To be clear, there are two main processes that make up a hair transplant. The first is donor harvesting and the second is implantation.

There are only two real modern and innovative donor harvesting techniques and this is FUT and FUE.  FUT stands for “follicular unit transplantation“ and typically refers to strip surgery.  FUE stands for “follicular unit extraction“ where follicular units are harvested one at a time using a variable size punch.

Just as there are two methods of harvesting donor hair, there are a few methods of implanting the grafts into the recipient sites. The two main implementation methods include “stick and place“ which includes harvesting a graft, making a recipient site and then implanting the follicular unit into the site. These are done one or a couple at a time as opposed to the second method where all the grafts are harvested first, recipient incisions are made next and finally, the grafts are placed into the recipient sites   To avoid dehydration/desiccation during this technique, these grafts are put into a storage solution to keep them moist 

There are also a couple different ways to implant the graphs into the recipient sites whether or not all the decisions are made first or not. The main two methods include using implanter pens/tools so that human hands don’t have to touch the follicles, often referred to as the “no touch“ technique - and using forceps to gently pick up the follicular units and place them into the recipient site.  The company/Clinic DH I decided to name the first one and call it “direct hair implementation “and then Use marketing to make it sound like it’s unique and nobody else Performs the implantation process this way. But that’s simply not true. In fact a lot of quality including Dr. Rahal use implanter pens and the no-touch technique.

Long story short, there are a number of clinics that put their own unique names to things but I have not seen any of deviate from one of the methods above. But just because a clinic decides put their own name on it, doesn’t mean that it’s unique, innovative or different than what other surgeons have already been doing for many, many years - and in many cases, before them.

Getting into the technical nuances of hair transplant surgery is interesting and sometimes very important especially when somebody mentions a so-called technique and buys into marketing hype.  I hope you can see by the above that DHI is not using some unique process or technique that nobody else is using. All they did was use clever marketing to make it seem this way.

i hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.