its indeed really not so easy to predict your level of baldness just by looking at your relatives (prince william edition)

people here made me think when they respond to my other threads and said even though your family history can give you hints where the journey will go you never can be so sure.

and they are exactly right, look at prince charles for example

prince william with 39

image.thumb.jpeg.65777094a6e8f92d1b5cdfcd89a38109.jpeg

his father around the same age

image.jpeg.8b18a275db93e276b44ab01aba671880.jpeg

grandfather

image.thumb.jpeg.6aa71ea08f4c73ed13e753bbb9290d60.jpeg

his maternal grandfather, john spencer

image.jpeg.9cf38ae1694938cfe437d76c49fc819d.jpeg

maternal great grandfather

image.jpeg.03d7681a521894e2509f24afed94cc44.jpeg

• Like 1

You are making a good point there, 

A good ethical surgeon will be able to put it into the right context. 

I have seen people do a lot of mistakes with this. Obviously there is a lot of wishfulthinking involved. They often focus only on one person (the maternal grand father) where it is more appropriate to take a broader view. They also tend to overrate the NW status of an older familiy member just because he has grey whit ehair and is older or they simply do not  pictures of the complete head, 

It certainly makes no sense to compare yourself to a family member if he does not have a comparable hair situation at the same age than you.  It is also only one indicator among others to be taken into account. The most important start point is your own hair and age, 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 1978matt said:

Prince Edward (his uncle), aged 39:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/03/20/8102162-6555463-image-m-70_1546548923236.jpg

yes i think the maternal uncle is the closest to the balding pattern of william

very interesting, the other uncle has still most of his hair, so basically william had only one closer male relative with that kind of aggressiv hairloss at that age and this was enough

image.jpeg.70a18138a53e0d5d84dc17cbe66753c3.jpeg

Edited by mr_peanutbutter

Another interesting point to go from here.....any guesses as to when the first royal will get a HT?

William was supposedly told to not trim down too far as it is... 'not the royal way', so image is certainly important to them.

But I do wonder when it will be acceptable to 'top up ones hair' so to speak....

29 minutes ago, follically challenged said:

Another interesting point to go from here.....any guesses as to when the first royal will get a HT?

William was supposedly told to not trim down too far as it is... 'not the royal way', so image is certainly important to them.

But I do wonder when it will be acceptable to 'top up ones hair' so to speak....

harry might get one imho

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Its a myth that you get Hair loss from either your mother or father its a combination of the 2.  And it can indeed skip generations.  I know someone who was really thinning in his teens yet the rest of his brothers and 75 yeard old dad still have all their hair...and seen people whos dada is slick bald but the son has great hair.  

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 12/5/2023 at 8:36 AM, mr_peanutbutter said:

what norwood level is prince william

6 or 7?

I'd say he's right in between. I'd call him a 6 bordering on 7.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.