Is hairline lowering surgery a good idea and where to get one?

I hope this is still on topic. I'm talking about the kind of surgery where they literally pull down your hairline instead of creating a new one by placing grafts. 

I have a pretty big forehead and it wouldn't be possible to lower my hairline enough with a hair transplant only. My idea is to combine hairline lowering surgery and hair transplant. The plan is to lower the hairline by surgery and then fill my receding temples/hide the scar with a hair transplant. That way most of the hairline lowering work is done by the surgery and the hair transplant doctor can focus on hairline density instead of lowering the hairline as much as possible by filling out a big area.

Sadly it's hard to research hairline lowering surgery or even find a good clinic for it, because hair transplants are THAT much more popular that i can only find results for it when searching for hairline lowering online, so i have a few questions:

- What are good hairline lowering clinics/doctors in germany, europe or the rest of the world?

- I guess the highest quality hair transplant clinics/doctors probably don't practice hairline lowering surgery? So i probably have to visit two different clinics for the lowering surgery and for the hair transplant each?

- Do you guys recommend hairline lowering surgery? What are the downsides of it?

Edited by WhereMyHairAt

32 minutes ago, WhereMyHairAt said:

I hope this is still on topic. I'm talking about the kind of surgery where they literally pull down your hairline instead of creating a new one by placing grafts. 

I have a pretty big forehead and it wouldn't be possible to lower my hairline enough with a hair transplant only. My idea is to combine hairline lowering surgery and hair transplant. The plan is to lower the hairline by surgery and then fill my receding temples/hide the scar with a hair transplant. That way most of the hairline lowering work is done by the surgery and the hair transplant doctor can focus on hairline density instead of lowering the hairline as much as possible by filling out a big area.

Sadly it's hard to research hairline lowering surgery or even find a good clinic for it, because hair transplants are THAT much more popular that i can only find results for it when searching for hairline lowering online, so i have a few questions:

- What are good hairline lowering clinics/doctors in germany, europe or the rest of the world?

- I guess the highest quality hair transplant clinics/doctors probably don't practice hairline lowering surgery? So i probably have to visit two different clinics for the lowering surgery and for the hair transplant each?

- Do you guys recommend hairline lowering surgery? What are the downsides of it?

for females it is a good idea. for males its questionable. It can be considered if you have absolutely no male pattern baldness genetics but that is hard to predict as most guys have some degree of MPB. 

Dr Nadimi at Chicago Hair Institute is well known for this type of surgery. She may not even consider you if you are a male, but worth checking with her. 

Edited by shiba1985
  • Like 1

Just now, shiba1985 said:

for females it is a good idea. for males its questionable. It can be considered if you have absolutely no male pattern baldness genetics but that is hard to predict as most guys have some degree of MPB. 

Dr Nadimi at Chicago Hair Institute is well known for this type of surgery. She may not even consider you if you are a male, but worth checking with her. 

Edited by shiba1985

The notion is usually that forehead reduction can be hidden more by females as they don't suffer from male pattern hair loss BUT they also have their own potential issues as they age which may lead to the visibility of that scar as hair thins over time. 

For men, the idea is because the scar is usually at the very front of the hairline, placing grafts there yo cover it is also risky because you risk having an extremely low juvenile looking hairline and on top of that if the hair loss progresses, you're going to be playing a really risky cat and mouse game. 

Hi @WhereMyHairAt

This is Hala, working for @DrTBarghouthi

I tagged Dr Taleb so he could give you an advice regarding your case.

Kind regards,

Hala

Patient Adviser to Dr. Taleb Barghouthi - approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with us here  or via WhatsApp at +962778837839 (Jordan) or +962798378396 (Jordan). 

Social media Instagram & Facebook : vertexhair

Wheremyhairat,

Yes, I remember the hairline lowering procedure also referred to as forehead reduction surgery.  To be honest, I’m not sure who still performs this however, it is a very invasive procedure and in my opinion, there have to be some pretty extreme circumstances to consider undergoing this surgery.

First question I have is…are you male or female? If you are male, are you experiencing any male pattern baldness? If you’re male and you are experiencing any hairline recession, then a hairline lowering procedure is essentially out of the question. Yes, if you found somebody to perform the procedure, you could go through with it however, your hairline would continue to recess and your forehead would appear larger again the more hair you lose.  Not only that, but you’d be left with a rather large looking linear scar in the middle of the forehead that would no longer be concealed by hair.

The hairline lowering procedure is usually performed on females and personally, with today’s advanced surgical hair restoration surgeries, I don’t see any real reason to consider undergoing this procedure.

If for some reason you are insistent that this particular procedure is best for you, you could try contacting Dr. Sheldon Kabacker but I don’t know if he’s still in business. I know that he wrote extensively on this topic and performed this procedure the last time I spoke with him which was probably about 8 to 10 years ago.  Again however, he may have retired but please don’t quote me on that.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Moderators

My opinion is it's usually a waste of time and effort to do this because you will end up with a scar in front of the hairline which you are going to want/need to add transplanted grafts to anyway in order to cover the scar. Just go with transplanting a new hairline to begin with and forget about the reduction.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 5/31/2022 at 4:34 PM, WhereMyHairAt said:

Absolutely not man. I've looked into that before and it just should not be done on men. Imagine the attention that your forehead would get with a huge, unsightly scar in your 40s. If you're banking on a hair transplant covering that, that's extremely risky. 

A lot of women actually like larger foreheads. I would focus on getting a good, natural hairline. I'd also grow a nice, manicured beard if possible and I think you'd be surprised at the effect.