COVID Testing Help

I am having a HT in less than 2 weeks. I am in the US and am going to a US clinic, so haven't thought much about COVID testing. However, I was recently sent an email from the clinic saying I must bring a negative covid test on the day of surgery. 

I have follow up questions - is a picture of a negative home test proof enough? Must it be a formal PCR test at a clinic? Can I get tested right now, and a negative result is still good for my surgery in less than 2 weeks? Or must I wait and get tested closer to the surgery date?

I definitely plan on asking the clinic these questions, but I'm not sure when I'll hear back... I figured I would ask the community as well what is the normal process for COVID testing prior to surgery? What documents must I provide, and how far in advance can I get tested prior to surgery?

I just don't want to take time today going to a clinic and getting tested, if it will be invalid bc its not close enough to my actual surgery date, or something like that, etc. 

Thanks. 

Edited by HappyMan2021

Go to a local pharmacy and get a rapid home test.  Best to find out now B4 you loose your appointment and your down payment.  If you cancel now you can reschedule but if you wait you could loose your turn in line and end up owing the clinic money for lost revenue.  Also.  Some people test positive for days or weeks after they are no longer contagious if your were asymptomatic you might get a false positive.  Best to check with pharmacy and your doctor.  You don't want to screw yourself by not knowing.

I'm assuming the clinic would be following travel guidelines, in which case it is usually you need to have a negative result 3 days before the date if you take a PCR test or 24 hours before if you take a rapid antigen test.

I believe Walgreens still has free COVID testing for everyone in the United States, but you would have to check on this. They have rapid testing that emails you results after 2 hours. 

2 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

I'm assuming the clinic would be following travel guidelines, in which case it is usually you need to have a negative result 3 days before the date if you take a PCR test or 24 hours before if you take a rapid antigen test.

I believe Walgreens still has free COVID testing for everyone in the United States, but you would have to check on this. They have rapid testing that emails you results after 2 hours. 

would I be able to take an at home test and take a picture of the results? or you think I need a formal email, negative test result?

not sure an at home test will work if I need a 3rd party verifying I'm negative. 

Definitely don’t rely on the home test. I’ve needed a PCR for everything around flying (and anything official) for that matter. If you find out that a home test will suffice, that’s great. But I wouldn’t rely on that. 

9 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

would I be able to take an at home test and take a picture of the results? or you think I need a formal email, negative test result?

not sure an at home test will work if I need a 3rd party verifying I'm negative. 

I don't think they would accept home tests but you'd have to ask your clinic. It's strange they weren't specific in the testing details. You can also check out https://curative.com for supposedly free testing.

Usually, in coronavirus tests, whether rapid or PCR, a nasal and throat swab is taken from the patient. In the first case, the antigens - certain proteins of the pathogen's viral envelope - are looked for in these samples. But if the sample contains only a small amount of viruses (and this is possible if a person is getting sick or is already recovering, or if he drank a lot of liquid immediately before the test), the rapid tests do not always reflect the real picture. In any case, you should follow the rules and wear a mask. I already bought myself a mask for a year at 72hours.ca. You, too, can get yourself all the protection you need against this horrible virus.

Edited by valenparr

• 1 year later...

The COVID testing process can vary, but generally, clinics prefer formal PCR tests. A picture of a negative home test might not cut it, so a clinic test is advisable. It's good you plan to check with your clinic for specifics.

I agree, the testing process does vary between medical facilities and always check with your doctor/clinic well in advance.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 1/16/2024 at 2:03 AM, Lexco said:

The COVID testing process can vary, but generally, clinics prefer formal PCR tests. A picture of a negative home test might not cut it, so a clinic test is advisable. It's good you plan to check with your clinic for specifics.

BTW, have you considered this malaria test at home? Could be a handy health check too.

Edited by Lexco

There will be more home tests kits becoming available in the near future.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Valued Contributor
On 5/24/2022 at 3:05 AM, HappyMan2021 said:

I am having a HT in less than 2 weeks. I am in the US and am going to a US clinic, so haven't thought much about COVID testing. However, I was recently sent an email from the clinic saying I must bring a negative covid test on the day of surgery. 

I have follow up questions - is a picture of a negative home test proof enough? Must it be a formal PCR test at a clinic? Can I get tested right now, and a negative result is still good for my surgery in less than 2 weeks? Or must I wait and get tested closer to the surgery date?

I definitely plan on asking the clinic these questions, but I'm not sure when I'll hear back... I figured I would ask the community as well what is the normal process for COVID testing prior to surgery? What documents must I provide, and how far in advance can I get tested prior to surgery?

I just don't want to take time today going to a clinic and getting tested, if it will be invalid bc its not close enough to my actual surgery date, or something like that, etc. 

Thanks. 

You really need to ask the clinic these questions. I would say that a negative RAT test should suffice. Getting a PCR test is nowhere near as easy to get as they were during the pandemic. All the best and all the best with your surgery.